iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Almost too ashamed to ask

Started by old joe, January 29, 2009, 06:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old joe

I got a small saw , Poulan  woodshark, to trim stubs  and cut limbs.  I know this is WAY smaller than anything you all discuss or are interested in, but I'm having a problem and I could use some help.  It's alittle hard to start, and doesn't like to Idle.  Whenit's running, it cuts OK.Ive got a Husky for big stuff, but I'm getting older and it's heavy

thanks
old joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

olyman

sounds like the carb needs adjustment--or a rebuild--

old joe

Boy that was quick .  the saw is new not two hours on it.

LeeB

Sounds like the idle is set too low to me too. I had the same problem and the boys here set me in the right direction. Don't be ashamed of your saw. You buy what you need or what you can.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Al_Smith

If it's a Poulan it most likely came from a "box' store and likely was never ran before you bought it ----so it most likely needs the carb adjusted . ;)

bull

Poulins are prown to vapor lock. vented fuel cover has always been a problem. back in the early 80's I used them around the farm I think I had three or four picked them up at yard sales for real cheap money, Harry home owner got sick of them !! Blast the fuel cover with some air every once in a while will make a big difference.. Great little brush beater used for clearing fence lines and making points on fence posts etc..

old joe

Thanks for all your help .  Tomorrow I'll try to adjust the idle. I'll report back with results

Jeff

Old Joe, you should never ever be ashamed to ask a question here. Getting your saw to run is no less important for you then someone that may have a ton of money sank into a high dollar saw that won't run. I think we have the very same saw up to the cabin and I might need to refer back to this thread someday, or someone else might as well.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

OldJoe,try the spark plug first.Some guy from work bought a cheap chainsaw from a box store.Used it about the time you did and started having problems with it.He's a pretty cleaver guy with motors.Played around some with it and was just about to take it back to the store and return it.He thought I might just as well try a new plug,even though that can't be it,note I said he used it only a few hours.Run just like a good one than.He was upset that they would put such a cheap plug in a new saw.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

old joe I think there s never a question you shouldnt ask as if you never ask mate you never know for sure  ;) thats why i love the Forum  ;D ;D 8) 8) and all saws that cuts wood gets my att mate :o ;D ;D ??? :P ::) ;) :D :D :D :D
With your saw like whats been already said  ;) check you plug for gap and then tune er up you find with alot of the smaller personal saws they just knock them outa the factory and its genraly the odd saw that a little tickel up on the tuning its just the way they are ive had some mates that have got goodns and bad ones strait outa box  ;)its just the luck of the draw mate  ;) but its genrally nothing to dramatic  ;) :D :D ;D ;D

Good luck

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

timber tramp

Old Joe, Don't be ashamed of your saw, I'll bet that most of the people here have a small saw of some kind, and everyone can benefit from trouble shooting yours. Not sure if your Woodshark is similar to a Wild Thing, but you might make sure the carburator is bolted on tight, sounds silly, but my uncle has a wild thing and right out of the box it would'nt run right. Turned out the carb was loose.            :)TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

snowman

That's one problem with saws bought at a hardware store, nobody runs em in for you. In a saw shop they take the saw ouback and adjust things, that's probly all you need,like everyones already said. As for your tiny saw, right tool for right job, if that's what you need, that's what you need. I have saws all different sizes. I figure why use a big saw to do a small job.

ErikC

This board is full of threads about $1000+ saws that aren't running right. It seems like if you have a $150 saw that isn't running right you're doing better than the rest of us. BTW I keep a Poulan  in my pickup a lot during winter, for trees on the roads, etc. It does alright and not so likely for someone to steal as my falling saws. They all have a place as long as they can still cut!
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

old joe

You guys are too cool!!  I'm not personally ashamed of the saw.... I wanted feedback and thought youall would get a kick out of the title.   That being said, I cant thank all of you enough for your time and info.  Jeff, you run a great site and the membership reflects your efforts.

timber tramp

Got that saw runnin' yet?              :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

jbeat

John B

old joe

It's doing better!!carb bolts were both about 1/4 turn loose.  Still idles a little weak, idles ok for a bit then dies.  Still hard to start.  Got 2 adjusting points.  Which is low speed??

old joe

Al_Smith

Quote from: old joe on January 30, 2009, 03:06:54 PM
.  Got 2 adjusting points.  Which is low speed??
Joe the low speed is always the one closest to the engine .

trapper

got one of them also along with my bigger saws.  it called i think for about 32 or 40 to one gas oil mix.  figgered since it didnt run righr anyway i tried 50 to 1 oil mix with premum gas that my other saws call for.  runs good now
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Cut4fun

What I have noticed about the new little poulans nowdays they come so lean from the factory they will burn themselves up in no time.
Should be a blue and red limiter tab on the H and L screws, remove them and adjust your H and L the right way without the limiter caps IMO, on the poulans I had you did not have to put them back on to hold true either.  Like Al said the L is closest to cylinder.

That Madsen's link is a good one to learn from. Learn the 4 stroking sound (rich) and get it tuned right and then make sure you turn the idle screw to get everything just right after you have the H and L sides  just right. Good luck.

Al_Smith

Oh now the mix ratio doesn't have a thing to do with weather they  idle or not .

I can make one idle on 16 to one .Of course it gets a little smoky out  but it still runs .

It's all in the carb tuning .Fact is I have a couple that blow black smoke when they idle .Which is what happens if you have next to no back pressure in the muffler .They straighten right out though and get with it once you punch the gas to them and hit the wood a mighty lick . :D

old joe

I've been fooling around with this for while and thanks to all of you,  it idles.
Can' adjust jets,  looks like it takes a special tool.  No plastic caps, Fine gear type thingy  on an even smaller shaft. Anyone know about them? 

Al_Smith

You can find that  little splined tool on e-bay . You might be able to jamb a piece of tubing over the splines too  and turn it that way .

I had a Poulan come in few years ago that needed tuned ,I'm not sure how I did though .Might have jambed a plastic masonary anchor over it .Any way it left running correctly .

Cut4fun

This could be the right tool you are looking for. $5.50 + $2 something shipping.

or use tubing or take a dremel and cut a straight slot to put a small screwdriver in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/POULAN-CRAFTSMAN-WALBRO-CARBURETOR-ADJUSTING-TOOL-NEW_W0QQitemZ300289844860QQihZ020QQcategoryZ85915QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sharkey

If the carb has the splined jets, try a wiring butt connector to remove them.  If the carb has limiter caps, use a drywall screw and a short piece of wire to line up the tabs.  Once you have them out, place them in your vice and notch them with a hacksaw, so that you can use a small flat blade screw driver to adjust.  Remove the jets one at a time so you dont mix them up.  Even if they are the same in appearance, the seats wear to each individual tip.  You can also use a short piece of brake line or a small diameter piece of brass tubing to get the jets out of the carb.  The jet closest to the cylinder is always the main or low jet, and the other is the high speed.  Set them each at 1 and 1/2 turns out counter clockwise from lightly seated and adjust from there.  If your not sure how to get the carb in tune, just ask.  While you have the top cover off, go over all the bolts to make sure theyre snug.  There should be four cylinder bolts that are either allen key or torx down at the four corners of the jug, use a flashlight if you cant see them. 

Best wishes,
Bob 

Thank You Sponsors!