iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hit a little dog today!

Started by WoodChucker, July 27, 2003, 06:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

Yep, I hit a little dog today, he squealed like a pig and then just laid there and didn't make another sound. I kept a close eye on him while I was changing my blade  just to remind myself to be more careful.  ;D

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Grampa_Joe

I got a few of them already, but mine just groweled at me.
Grampa Joe

Kevin

Let me guess, it was the one that leans towards the operator?

WoodChucker

If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Kevin

That's not your fault, that's a design problem. ;D

I don`t know why they wouldn't cut those dogs off on the opposite side to give you more room to make a cut?

ARKANSAWYER

Did your blade do this?

You know that you can tell alot about people by how dogs react to them.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

WoodChucker

Kevin you should send some of your ideas to WM, I bet they would use them. Thats really a good one!

ARKANSAWYER, I see you have walked a few dogs before too, lol.  Thats what it did, the blade started climbing and then tried to stall the engine.

R.T.

BBTom

Kevin,
That sounds like a good Idea at first, but then when you try to roll the log you have trouble.  The log would want to climb right up over the dog, rather than sliding.

Maybe if there was one set of dogs for turning and another for sawing???  but then we would just forget to put the turning dogs down...

Keep thinking...  Might come up with something yet.

Must have been the week for it.  I tried to take the top 1/2" off of my clamp.  only got about 1/4 inch into it before the blade stopped cutting!!!!! :o :o
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Bibbyman

It can happen to anyone.  

My "first cut" on our new Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25.

Mary is a very meticulous sawyer but even she nipped the top of the same bolt head a coupe of weeks back.  Just enough to make a bright spot and knock the set out of the teeth on the down side.

Maybe they should just provide stake pockets so you could use replaceable wooden back supports?  Just saw right through them until they get too short and need replaced. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kevin

Ok, how about an accessory to slip over the dog for the larger logs...then remove it to make the cut?
You probably wouldn't require more than two.

Bibbyman

You mean something like this?

This an more found in - Handy things around the mill
Sawing since '94

Kevin

I don't think it would have to be full length Bib, I was thinking more of a cap that would be easy to remove.

biziedizie

Kevin what I have on my dogs is rollers on the top, came from the factory like this. It doesn't matter how big the log is cause a log can't jump over the rollers it can only turn over.
  It's a great system and it saves me from having the dogs up high all the time.

Steve

Bibbyman

Yea,  it's the "slip on" part I was trying to show.  These are tall to handle those large logs.  No rollers needed.

Our new mill has rollers on top of the back supports too. But there is still a chance for the log turner to push a small log up instead of rotating it.  Then a large log may have a knot or a place where a big splinter pulled that the roller will hang up on.  So it could still happen.
Sawing since '94

LeeB

I get a lot of small, crooked cedar that people want split in half, really tough to dog down, so I made a fence out of some 1x1 angle that I scew a 2x on. It fits in the permanent stops. Works good for me. Also good for "live edge" stuff. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WoodChucker

LeeB, you have a picture of that jig? I'd be interested in seeing it if you do. Thanks!

Anyone else use any kind of jigs for there band saws?

R.T.

LeeB

I can't seem to get the picture thing down even though many have tried to help me. I just cut 4 pieces of angle(1x1x1/8) about 5" long and welded a 4" piece of 1/2" rod in the middle. Drill a screw hole on each side of the rod to atatch it to a 2x. You can use whatever width 2x you need to suit the job at hand, such as 2x6 for edging. I use a 2x4 for dogging the smaller stuff. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WoodChucker

Ok thanks LeeB, hey I'd be more then happy to teach you how to post a pic if you want me to? Do you have a site somewhere on the internet that you can download pictures to? If not, get that first, then email or PM me and I'll walk you thru it. My guess is your just missing one step along the way and thats all it takes for it not to work. :)  rt@thewoodchucker.com

R.T.

LeeB

truth be known, it's lack of a program to reduce the pictures to an acceptable size. too lazy to download a program. need to do so though. have often wanted to post a pic or two ::) LeeB

WoodChucker

Jason_WI

Yah, dem DanG dogs pop up unexpectantly at times ;D

The back dogs on my lumbermate had large steel washers for rollers. I replaced them with large aluminum washers 1/2 thick and 3" in dia. That way when I hear the saw sing on the aluminum I have time to stop and back out of the cut before I hit any steel. I've cut lots of aluminum with the Wood Mizer double hard blades without hurting them. 8) 8) In fact my dad cut almost through one before stopping without hurting the blade.

If you can make do with aluminum parts it will save you in the long run on those senior moments ;D ;D

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Bibbyman

Can you see the potential for conflict here?

Made a LOT of noise just for a little while.  But only made a few scratches on the hard two plane clamp.

I expected to see every tooth shelled.  But they were all bent up (shown bent down on top side blade).

It was ALL Mary's fault.  >:( She should have been there to stop me!!!   ::)
Sawing since '94

Cedarman

You would think that will all the electronic gizmos and such out there it would not be to hard to connect the log dog height to the blade height and make a buzzer sound if the dog was higher than the blade.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bull

hey bib I have that same option on my lt 40  Precut roller.... seems to work OK

Kirk_Allen

Arky that sure looks like a LT70 Dog.  Did you upgrade with telling us? 8)

Thank You Sponsors!