iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new to me present

Started by Stump Jumper Jr, January 27, 2009, 09:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stump Jumper Jr

I got this as a basket case and I am still working on it.It is a 1971 nordic Ski-doo had it going a few times we probably put about 10 miles on it. Now the engine (399 rotax) is tore down in the living room(mom is okay with it now :) ) for new crankseals and bearings.Hopefully it wil be ready for the weekend.It did not come with a seat so a grain bag filled with sawdust works great.

The reason i got this is because dad got a motorcycle but he can't drive it yet.

Dave Shepard

That's cool! Looks a lot easier to work on than the ones I've tangled with. Had to replace the steering shaft on a new one, and you've got to pull the motor. :( :-\
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Paul_H

Nice ride Jonny!
Is the seat tied down or does it slide about? I'll bet it's comfortable.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Slabs

Th' Sawdust Bolssom Special!!   1971 huh?  Kinda like old iron.  I love it!!
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

isawlogs

OK .. what did you promise to get to tear down the engin in the living room ...  :P ???    

Hey did you get dry sawdust for the seat .. ?  Was it only missing the seat and windshield ... ??? How is the track and supention .  ?
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

8) 8)  Looks like the sleds I grew up with.  We've still got a 66 10 1/2hp Olympic and a 73 Elan.  I had a 72 300 Olympic that looked just about like that.  I might still have it actually  ???  :) :D  Always have spare spark plugs and most importantly a wrench for them  ;) ;D  Check the bogie springs and the bearings on the back idlers.   Great old sleds.  Ride em for an hour and work on em for 2  ;) :D :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Stump Jumper Jr

Paul the seat sets in a tool tray that is on there and it is dry sawdust it doesn't slide.
I replaced some bogie springs that were broke next is the front drive sprockets they have teeth missing and needs new track.
Marcel thats all it was missing as far as i know.
Had to promise ma that the carpet wouldn't get dirty(had to do alot of convincing  ;D).

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

They promised me a new hardwood floor. 8)

Plus I didn't want Jonny to get cold. ;D

It has been a good shop project for him.
Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

moosehunter

SJ Jr,
You have just started an un-reversable lifelong passion. You may at different points in your life be with out a sled, but you will now always have the desire to have one and ride! It is a great way to enjoy the out of doors in the winter and see things that others will never see.
That sled is very similar to my first, a 1972 Olympic.

Always ride within your limits, wear a helmet, don't ride on land you don't have permission to ride on, HAVE FUN.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Corley5

Ya really don't need a seat on them.  We always rode them standing up especially in deep snow  :) :)  Has the muffler been broken on it  ???  I don't know about the 399 but the 300 mufflers had a design flaw and they always broke.  Grandpa brazed the one on my 300.  It was broken when I got it and the former owner had ran it like that and melted the wiring harness.  Just something to watch out for.  Dennis Kirk used to sell new and improved mufflers for them  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Stump Jumper Jr

My muffler is in a-1 condition.

isawlogs

That 399 is a two cylinder I think ... that would be why the muffler is still in good condition .. the single cylinders where notorious for breaking up the mufflers .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

dewwood

Nice looking ride Johnny, it should provide you with a lot of fun!
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Thank You Sponsors!