iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Squirrel attack on Dawn Redwood

Started by JUNEBUG 88, January 26, 2009, 02:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUNEBUG 88

Squirrels are eating the bark or at least stripping all the bark off my 30' tall Dawn Redwood tree. I tried spraying in milder months with pepper spray but that will not work during Winter. Besides I can not get to the whole tree and squirrels can climb to the tree from other trees nearby. There are numerous critters doing the attack and I can not trap or shoot them all. If it can be saved what can I do?

They are even taking chunks of bark off the Chinkapin Oak tree.

It is not like they are starving either since they raid our bird feeders daily. Sadly, I think the Redwood tree may be too far gone to save since the white wood is showing in several spots and all outer bark is off? It was planted in memory of our dog. :(
Base of tree:
Top of tree:

WDH

Maybe the squirrels are getting some type of mineral or nutrition from the bark.  Short of eradicating the offenders, I do not know what you can do.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Obviously you saw the squirrels at the tree. But, around here it's porcupines that do that number on them. They seem to take bark off main limbs and bole. One winter they were chewing some buts on my planted spruce.  :-X >:( Often a squirrel will come visit the debarking sites on a hardwood and lick the sap, such as on maple and birch.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I've seen porcupines do that too,but never that bad.You have some hungry animals in MI.I've only seen like 3 feet at a time gone.Wish I could be of some help,but a 22 is my solution.It really does look like hedgehog to me too.They eat around the limbs to get every morsel of bark they can.Should be easy to see the path of a hedgehog in the snow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ironwood

Find something to make it taste bad w/ out poisoning the tree. Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Stephen_Wiley

I realize that I am only seeing what you have shown in the above pics (my response may be different seeing opposite side of tree).

The amount of 'white exposed' wood is not enough for me to warrant loss of this tree.  So I suggest, you still attempt aggressive measures to disparage the critters.

Have you tried Tanglefoot or other sticky substance; may consider buying some repellent with predatory urine; also try spreading human hair at base of trees.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

VT_Forestry

Invest in a pellet gun  ;D  We've been having problems with squirrels at home chewing on the wires of our cars in the driveway.  The pellet gun is powerful enough to kill em but not enough to go through a tire or damage the cars at all.  If nothing else, it slows them down enough so they clear the cars and put themselves into .22 magnum range :)  Leave a dead squirrel or two at the bottom of the tree, that should discourage them from coming around haha
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

beenthere

Quote from: VT_Forestry on January 26, 2009, 12:46:50 PM
................ Leave a dead squirrel or two at the bottom of the tree, that should discourage them from coming around haha

I've been thinning out the squirrel population here, just taking the gray squirrels and leaving the larger fox squirrels to build up their population.  When I pop a gray and a fox squirrel is nearby, it doesn't even flinch when the gun goes off. Guess they know it wasn't meant for them.  ::) ::) ::)

However, the other gray's high tail it outta there right quick.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

We do have plenty of gray squirrels in NB, mostly in the towns actually. Out here in the country I might see one or 2. The reds keep them at bay and seem more aggressive. While the grays are more docile and passive.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JUNEBUG 88

Fox squirrels are definetly chewing the bark, when they venture down the tree the dogs get sent after them. There are too many branches to get at trunk high up without breaking a bunch of them to put tanglefoot on the tree. What poison/irritant will affect squirrels, but not the tree?
I wish the the numerous red tail hawks around our house would help get rid of some of the squirrels. We also have 2 Cooper Hawks but the squirrels just laugh at those birds as they are too small to bother a squirrel.
The squirrels are not starving as they are also raiding our bird feeders.

okie

Squirrels are very good eating digin_2, thats the only way I know of to get rid of em for good.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Nomad

Make the best gravy in the world!  The meat is very tasty, too.  Bit of a pain to skin.  Why would you wanna feed the dogs the really good stuff?

What poison/irritant will affect squirrels, but not the tree?  .22 longs
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

John Woodworth

I have the same problem with gray squirrels, the are building nests with the bark, I have trapped them and taken them out in the woods and every time I think I have them all along comes another pair. They also devestate the lawn digging and burrying their food, sure can be fun to watch though at times.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

WDH

Remember, man the predator can be a good thing in the natural system.  Otherwise, squirrels will take over the earth.  Look on the bright side, if the economy totally tanks and we have to resort to living off the land again, at least you have a ready supply of squirrels  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Left Coast Chris

In another post EricC was saying that out west here Fishers were imported to kill porkupines and they also wipe out squirrels.   If you can't import a Fisher maybe a good sized weasel would take out squirrels?

Some of the posts about eating squirrels bring back fond memories of the college days.  :) :)  I had three room mates who were a little rough around the edges for some refined city girls that lived next door.  We thought they were plastic, snoody and completly out of touch with reality.  We tried giving them a chance and they would do things with us only until something better came along then they would stand us up.  That got a little old so on a duck hunting trip a Gray Squirrel appeard so we decided to shoot him and play a trick on the girls.  We skinned it and mounted it on a rotating spit barbecue.  Skinned out it looked exactly like a cat.  When they came over we got one of them to take a taste then told them it was one of the cats that hung around.   They were frantic and never returned.  That really felt good.... :) :) :D
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

tyb525

We have black squirrels around here which are killing off the red ones.  >:(
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

Pine martin are what you need for them darn squirrels. Here they favor old stands beginning to break up where they can run on downed trees to catch squirrels.

Ironmower

Can a squirrel detect "predator" urine? ???
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

LeeB

I don't know about that, but they can tell camo from orange. They will crawl all over you when you're wearing orange and you won't even see one if you wear camo.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

And, ............ Whatever you do,  .......don't take one to Church!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agfZg-i7ovo

SwampDonkey

I always got a kick outta that song. :D :D

jrdwyer

"When they came over we got one of them to take a taste then told them it was one of the cats that hung around.   They were frantic and never returned.  That really felt good...."

Great story.

We only seem to have squirrel problems with trees during dry spells when they will chew on the bark of maple or oak for a source of water. They will go so far as girdling a good size branch. The answer in this case is a bird bath.

Have any cats with front claws? I am not a cat person, but we have several at our home and then are outside cats with claws and can climb a tree pretty quick when chased by a big neighborhood dog. No problems with rabbits in the garden either.

Modat22

You could convert a clay pidgeon thrower to a "Squirrel cannon" and have a little fun disscouraging them or shoot them at a neighbors house.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!