iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No members on O'ahu?

Started by Nomad, January 25, 2009, 10:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

What's up with this?  FF ain't got no members in Hawaii?  Or on O'ahu, anyway?  I'm working here for a couple more months, and I'd really like to see somebody doing something with some of the local woods.  Guests, maybe?

Bill
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Tom

We have one! ........Nomad is his name.  :D

Member Steve was a Hawaii sawyer and even had a business there sawing woods for musical instruments.  His website is www.curlykoa.com

He left and came back to the mainland.  I think he is in Oregon or Washington now.  He said that his son is still in Hawaii, sawing and selling wood, but, I dont think he is a member.  Maybe some pressure could be put on Steve.  ;D

Nomad

Tom, wasn't Steve on the Big Island?  With my schedule, that might as well be Singapore even if he was still there.  However, barring anybody working with wood to visit with, I've got a few fishing trips scheduled on my favorite charter boat.  ;D
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Steve

Nomad

Look for Bart Potter on Oahu. A search on line or in the phone book should get you his contact information
He has been sawing and marketing wood there for a long time.
I was on the Big Island but am in Oregon now. Actually am going back to buy wood later this winter.

Steve

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Nomad

Thanks Steve.  I will look him up.  Does he just saw, or build stuff from it?  Where abouts on O'ahu is he?  I'd really enjoy meeting him!

Bill
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Nomad

Shoulda added this in the last post.  I'm gonna be here until around Mar. 20th.  When are you coming back?
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Steve

I don't know yet when I'm coming over. When I hear that there is some good wood to look at.
I don't know how much wood work Bart does. Mostly I know that he makes his living with is mill, at least as far as I know. I've only met him a couple of times and that was on the Big Island. He is very involved with the Hawaii Forestry Association.

Steve

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Ironwood

If you want some other adventure on Oahu, look up Fredrick Lawerence up in Haleiwa area. He worked for the sugar cane folks and was the best/ biggest boar hunting clan on the island. I hunted with them for a year or so, tell him the "blue eyed howlee boy" sent ya. I had many an adventure with he and his sons hunting boars by dog and KNIFE :o This was back in the late 1980's. Great folks. He got us into to some AMAZING locals w/ his connections (saw alot of weed patches) safely and WOW the terrain! Neat stuff, great memories. You really should look them up, great folks.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

TexasTimbers

Nomad,

I have several customers spread around those islands way out west. I trade wood with several of them also. Maybe I should try and get some to join and post in the WWing section. One of them is a sawyer too - I forgot about that. :)

Let me know where you are at and I'll see if I can't get you hooked up with some wood lover's there. ;)

Until then, as per your request here's some photos of one one of my customer's work using mostly local woods there, Robin Clark who lives in Kalaheo:

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Nomad

Thanks for the replies all.  TT, I'm staying in Aeia, on O'ahu,  and working in Pearl Harbor.  No way I'll have a chance to get to any of the other islands.  Just ain't in the cards.

But this ain't that big a rock.  Where is Kalaheo?  I've been here a few times, but I'm not familiar with that town.  (Not that I know my way around this place all that well, either!)  Looks like nice work your friend does!  I'd like to see some of that first hand.

Ironwood, I've been a hunter most of my life.  And the idea of hunting here sounds great to me!  But ain't got no guns here, and my free time is REAL limited.  That said I'd sure enjoy a chance to partake of some fresh cooked pig.  Hey, I'll buy the beer!  (Well...  Long as there's no more than about 20 locals anyway.)

I know some folks who hunt boars in Florida with dogs and rope.  Nice people once you get to know 'em, but as a rule they're crazier'n an outhouse rat.

WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ironwood

Nomad,

No gun necessary, just a knife. Very interesting going in for the kill while the dogs tried to hold the boar. The pigs are true feral pigs 250+ lb max. No inbreeding w/ domestics and pretty mean.  ;)  Uncle Freddy may be semi retired from the hunts (but I doubt it), his son's were really into it (they are in their 30's now). If you ask anyone on the north shore (Haleawi area) they will/ should know him, especially if they grew up there. He did have a Puerto Rican uncle who actually lived in a cottage on Pipline beach, there may be some confusion on "Uncle Freddy" because he went by the same name. All roads will lead to them if you ask about Uncle Freddy the biggest boar hunter on the island. Lots of REALLY cool stories of the hunts/ terrain/ and adventures. He nearly lost his prize female to a jugular vein wound from a tusk. That occurence should jog his memeory as the time frame as to "the blue eyed howlee boy" as it was quite tramatic for us all, she did survive just barely. He had 20 or so dogs when I was there.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

TexasTimbers

Yeah nomad I didn't know where you were at. It's on the south slope of Kauai. A wee bit north of you. A nice swim if you can avoid the Tigers. :)

I have a half dozen customers and two buddies on Oahu. Sent emails to 3. One luthier in Hilo especially comes to mind who would be a gracious wood and sawmill guide if he has the time. Waiting on reply.

Edit: Oops sorry wrong island.  Hilo is on Hawaii Island. I am getting confused.  :)

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Nomad

Yep, TT.  I'll have a tough time making it to Hilo.  I'm a good swimmer, but I just don't have enough free time.  I ain't that ambitious, either.  And I HATE tiger sharks, unless they're on the end of a line!
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!