iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Router ?

Started by D._Frederick, January 25, 2009, 07:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I have a 690 porter cable plunge router that has had normal use but runs good. I would like to get a fixed base that I can use the router motor on. I can buy the base for $60 or buy a new pc 690 fixed base router from Amazon for $106. What one would you buy?

LeeB

He with the most toys wins.  :D
If you have the money, get the router. That way you don't have to change bases.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

With MY luck, I'd buy the base, then, the Router would take a dump.  ::) ::)

I'd buy the router.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ironwood

I cannot say enough about the 690. The are the mainstay of many shops. I must have 5-6 up at the shop now (just sold 2 brand new ones to a buddy I found at the flea market). I have tons and tons of interchangable parts, bases, and various other attachments. The D base is by far the best for handheld use. I would buy the whole unit, I have noticed that they are now produced overseas (for what it is worth). If you are going to run large bits the larger "soft start" units are VERY nice but expensive.  If it were me, I would splurge on the D handle, I'll ship you one of my fixed bases for $20 and shipping, or just use the "D" base as "fixed".

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Don_Papenburg

I need a plunge base for my 690s   I bought an 890 because the store does not carry the 690s any more .  Very disappointing  The plunge base does not stay locked down . The motor sounds like junk . If I spend the money I want quality .  I have a total of five hours on this thing in the time (a month or so ) I have had it . 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ironwood

I wondered about those new 890's, thanks for the input, perhaps I should have kept the two I sold to my buddy, he is one of my best customers tho, so I guess I'll chalk it up to customer relations gift. I just feel guilty if I have 8-10 routers laying around ::)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

metalspinner

Don, I have the same 890 and the same problem with the plunge base. >:(

That 690 is a very good and rugged machine.  I like mine a lot. :)

And, Ironwood, no need to feel guilty about your stable of routers.  You really cannot have too many. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Radar67

I have the 890 and have not had any trouble with my plunge base, it locks up tight for me.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

TexasTimbers

Metal,

You are wrong. Ironwood does not fit into the new enlightened society we voted in. He needs to spread his abundant wealth and send me a couple of those routers in the spirit of fairness.

I only have one 690 ~ so from each according to his ability, and to each according to his needs. Reid, I can't afford the shipping either so do you mind taking care of that as well?

I will PM you my address, and thank you in advance. ;D

P.S. I am going to let the Obama administration know about your generosity and see if we can't get some sort of certificate for you to recognize your contribution to society. 8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Lud

TT,
          '  You know what you are?  You're a HOOT'!! :D :D :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Don_Papenburg

Radar , that is two against one .  You will have to send your router back to the factory ,it is defective  if it locks down and stays.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

metalspinner

I just recieved the Woodcraft flyer yesterday. They have a Freud 2 1/4 hp router with 2 bases and all the features you'll need for $129.99.  That's about half price. :o
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

thedeeredude

I had a Hitachi router and liked it.  It was a soft start motor.  Nice router.  I still have a Milwaukee router, gave it to my dad.  I hate routers, at least the electric ones. 

D._Frederick

I took Deadheads advice and bought a Porter cable 690 with base from Amazon $92, couldn'd go wrong at this price.

zopi

Routers are sort of like clamps...can't really have too many.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Haytrader

I get mine at garage sales. I have five and all came with some sort of bit.
The most I have paid is $20. IF they run they are worth that I figure.
;D
Haytrader

D._Frederick

The UPS guy brought my pc 690 yesterday, you are right about the power switch. They have changed the switch from a toggle type on my older router to a push button on this new one. It will not be the easiest to turn off and on and keeping away from the bit.
Have any of you guy's tried a different type switch? I was wondering how a foot operated switch would work around work bench? At least you could keep both hands on the router while looking for the foot switch.

Ironwood

A cheap foot switch is a GREAT idea, as that is the biggest drawback to that unit. I have seen a few for under $20.

Ironwood

D._Frederick

I looked around for a foot switch that toggles on and off as you step on it, anybody seen one like this?

ksu_chainsaw

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/speed_control.html

They have 2 styles of foot pedals- one that toggles on and off, and the other one is a deadman style switch, only on when your foot is on it.

charles

isawlogs

I ahve six routers and have them all out making an fish tank stand , I have two PC's one with toggle and the other has that push button switch . I really dont like the switch I was thinking about maybe ordering a togle switch and replacing the push button, has anybody looked into this to see if it was feasable . ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

D._Frederick

Isaw-,

I called up the local pc factory repair here and talked to the repair tech.

He said that you can make it the same as the old one.  New cap $11.09,  Switch $16.09, and a bracket $2.  So a person is looking at $30 bucks, I suppose that a person could buy an off the shelf toggle switch from Grainger for under $10.

I am still thinking about the foot switch, but don't know if a toogle or dead man would be better.

isawlogs

That sounds fair to me , for the agravation it gives me .. evey time i use that router I keep feeling for the togle .. grrrrrr !!!!!!   ;D :D :D  Thanks for looking into it .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!