iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fork lift Hydrolics brocken help!

Started by carver45, January 23, 2009, 08:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carver45

Hi Guys,

Always like to see what is going on here and as always a great source of information. I own a 10 ton tow motor forklift.
We do not run it more than a couple of hours a week. I parked it about a month ago and kicked it over and I have zero pressure in the system. The only difference is that we have had freezing temperatures. This is the only thing that I can imagine it is. We have always had a problem with milky hydraulics and I am thinking some of the moisture in it might have froze and done something.

I do not think it is a brocken line.  I am not loosing any fluid and I have had a brocken line before. It is not the same.

For your information I live on the coast of BC. Our idea of cold is -15. Any information or ideas would be appreciated.

This time of year is slow and getting a professional in is not an option right now so any information would be appreciated.

Thanks ahead for your time.

BBTom

just a guess on my part, but I would bet that the filter is on the pump input and it has enough water in it to freeze.  frozen filter paper won't let any oil pass through it so your pump is starved for oil. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Ironwood

Kinda good news/ bad news. Good news, it's fixable. Bad news, it is likely the frozen oil (condensation in the oil) has sheared off all the vanes on your hydraulic pump. I know this because last winter I did the same on my rough terrrain 8000 lber. $600 later I was in business. I now keep after ANY condensation AND preheat the fluids w/ a torpedo heat for a good while before attempting to start it (I tent it in with tarp if I HAVE to make it work that day).

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

isawlogs

Quote from: carver45 on January 23, 2009, 08:18:13 PM
We have always had a problem with milky hydraulics

That is a dead give away for moisture in any oil . What you have is frozen hydraulics ....  You need to heat up the machine if it is outside tarp it and what I would do is put a propane heater under the tarp and let it get hot in there . Bring the machine inside and drain the system , dont forget the filter(s) .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!