iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Missouri Walnut Log Prices?

Started by ShowMeSawyer, January 22, 2009, 11:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShowMeSawyer

Need a little help here. I will make a good donation to the FF for some good info.

Got a local logger that cut a bunch of walnut for a landowner a few months ago and unfortunately, the bottom fell out of the market at the time they were finishing up. At this time, the walnut is still not sold. The loggers have gotten offers so low they are tempted to cut it up into firewood to get something out of it.

Just happens that they are cutting a track of timber not far from me and I am cutting firewood from the tops. I made the mention that I was interested in some of the walnut if it was good.....was told 30-35 logs were veneer and the rest sawlog grade.

I want to be fair with a price and have been to the Missouri Forestry Timber Price Trend website and they do not list the 4th quarter '08 timber prices. I tried to access the 3rd QTR pdf file, but it would not load up for me.....all the other ones did fine though.

So my question is this..... What is the current value of Missouri Walnut in the central part of the state? If I decide to buy some of the walnut, I just want to give the guys a fair price. I sure hate to see the walnut end up as firewood.

Send me a PM if you do not want to post prices on the forum.

Thank you,

SMS

Bibbyman

I've only heard rumors.  One was that one mill would only pay $150/mbf for walnut and make blocking out of it.   Another is not so much as a rumor,  the last time I was at the tie lot, there were walnut ties made out of walnut.  So I'm take it that walnut prices are not good.

Our log broker invested in some heavy "shade" tarps to cover his walnut logs.  It works!  Some of the logs had been there at least a year and showed very little degrade.  They were still moist and the sap white and the bark staid on.  Now if you're friends logs were summer cut and now the bark is slipping,  then that will cause them to start drying and cracking.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodsteach

Last Nov I got $0.80  from the same guy 2 weeks ago quoted $0.50 but was also told the veneer market is still decent (what ever that means) I didn't have any veneer so I didn't worry about it.  I've heard he is probably going to be at $.35 soon.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

ARKANSAWYER

The last walnut logs I bought I paid $800 mbdft for them late last year.  Veneer logs are selling and most of the walnut buyers are taking them.  BUT the rest of the logs can just stay in the woods as far as most mills are concerend.  I am still selling walnut lumber retail but my wholesaler is not taking any at this time.
  I turned down a load just last week and they were willing to take $500 mbdft.
ARKANSAWYER

beenthere

Quote from: ShowMeSawyer on January 22, 2009, 11:56:26 AM
Need a little help here. I will make a good donation to the FF for some good info.

...................If I decide to buy some of the walnut, I just want to give the guys a fair price. I sure hate to see the walnut end up as firewood.

Sounds like a fair price to them would be just a bit more than firewood price.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

We just got a load of oak logs in.  The guy that runs the logging company delivered it.  We talked about this and that and I asked him about walnut prices.  He said the very best veneer is still selling but there is no market for anything else.  He said lumber logs are bringing $400/mbf. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Cedarman

Some people invest in the stock market and hope it goes up.  This may be a good time to buy walnut, seal ends, saw into lumber, sticker and wait a year or 2.  One of 2 things will  happen.  Our economy will improve and when it does, that lumber will double or triple in price because there will be few loggers and mills operating and demand will outstrip supply.  The other thing might be the economy still tanks and the lumber does not appreciate in value, but I sure don't think it could go much lower.  Things run in cycles.

The time to buy is usually when all others are selling at low prices.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ironwood

It is time to buy when there is "blood in the streets" as the old Wall St. folks say ( they must know something, they got a bunch of bail out money >:()

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ShowMeSawyer

Thanks guys for the info. Might save me some coin by paying too much in a depressed market. I will be taking a look at the walnut this Saturday around noon or so.

A donation to the FF will be on the way.

SMS

david_keith

What does mdbft stand for????  I still learning the ways of the sawyer. :P

dk
dk

Lil Badger Creek

mbdft=mbf=1,000 board Feet=1"X12"X12"
Stephen

ARKANSAWYER

David we are also talking about log volume by the Doyle Log Scale.  So if I say that I can buy walnut for $500 mbdft I mean that I am paying $0.50 a boardfoot and here we are using the Doyle Scale.  So a 24" DIB walnut log 8' 6" long would be worth $100.00 right now.  Two years ago I could not have touched that log for less then $250.00.  Have about 10 mbdft of logs on the place right now and over 5 mbdft in lumber.  Sales are slow but I am selling.  Oh by the way I will cut out about 250 bdft of lumber from the log.
ARKANSAWYER

ShowMeSawyer

Went and looked at the walnut today. Got a big surprise on how much was there and that much of it was still tree length instead of being bucked into lengths. Anything questionable was bucked to check for rot, etc. Overall, typical Missouri walnut.

I had intentions on buying a couple 1,000 bd ft and ended up with it all..... roughly 200-250 logs and that includes all of the veneer. I made an offer which I thought was fair and the seller asked for a little more....I agreed and we both are satisfied and the seller is even going to deliver the logs to me.

I will be busy sawing walnut for awhile.

BTW, hope Jeff got my FF donation.

SMS

Bro. Noble

If I were in your position,  I would call American Walnut out of St. Jo right away and see if they would send out a buyer.  If so, he would tell you what they would buy and how to buck it.  What they didn't buy,  I would cut in to 8'8" logs and make into ties.  I would sticker the side lumber and wait for the grade market to come back or try and peddle it to local woodworkers.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ARKANSAWYER

Jeff would like some of the lumber as well.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!