iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I sawed a 2x4x12 today

Started by timberjackpa, January 24, 2009, 06:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjackpa

Today I sawed 3/4 of an inch off a 2x4 first run!!!! woohoo!!! im so excited.  I see a few problems tho first the carriage rocks towards the blade due to the weight of the headblocks im guessing. So im gunna put a counter weight on the otherside. The other problems are my belts seem to se tracking off. I will check to see if I can adjust the pulleys tommoro. I want to thank meadows miller and bandmiller2 for all the info!

thecfarm

I suppose you have a circle mill?The first run and it's good and true?Another one bites the dust to the sounds of a sawmill and saw dust.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

TJ, that rocking carrage has me worried.Are you sure its not the track closest to the saw sagging any movement outher than straight and level down the track is poison to a circle mill.The knees have to extend out beyond the saw side carrage wheels to clear the collars ,the weight of the headblocks should be over or behind the wheels with no tippy tendency.If you can a picture would help.Oh congrats on your first cut,keep us posted. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

No Worrys anytime And a BIG Congrats on the first cut  Mate  ;D ;D 8) 8).I was just going to send you a msg to see how things where traveling   ;)
also check the carriage wheel bearings for tightness as they might have alittle slack in em  ;) there wont be too much drama involved with tracking the belts either . with needing to weight the back of the carriage it should be right w/out weight ive seen heaver carriages start to tip when  :o other blokes are over feeding  ;) :D :D :D ;D 

Frank if you want to pm me your email Ill send the picks ive got here in the morning mate  ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

TJ,flat belts can be fustrating,a very slight adjustment is whats needed.I have seen flat pulleys crowned with old time friction tape,enough raps in the center to add a little crown.If the splice is not straight it will also give you fits.Hang in there if it was easy everyone would be doing it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!