iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Best Christmas Present Ever

Started by Burlkraft, January 20, 2009, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

You've seen the Lexus commercials where the guy is a kid and reliving his best ever Christmas memory  ???   My best memory was this year  8)  8)  8)

Jill and I received these from Tammy and Jeff for Christmas. I brought the box home from my trip there and had Jill open it. When she got it opened the top table was visible and we both just stared in awe  :o  :o   :)  :)  8)  8)

I don't know what we did to deserve such a thoughtful and awesome present. It is beyond me, but we will cherish them forever.

My trip to St Louis was a bummer because it was to deliver my Peterson ATS 8 to it's new owner. I then traveled North to Michigan where I received a killer elm log from Reddog, a really nice Job Box tool box from FarmerDoug which is undergoing a transformation, and then these tray tables from Jeff and Tammy.  I only wish we could have returned the kind gestures. Thank you so much you guy's   ;D  ;D  ;D
It was a very good trip  8)  8)  8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

Very nice Jeff!

In all seriousness Steve because you're a good guy and a good friend.

fstedy

8) 8) 8) It was a good trip  8) 8) 8)

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN

8) 8) 8) It was a good trip  8) 8) 8)

Jeff you never cease to amaze me with your talents.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Mooseherder

Great, every time ya eat you gotta look at someone working. :D ;D

Reddog

Nice.  :)

Too bad the weather was being a pain. It would have been nice to spend more time bsing.

Also, a big thanks for the gifts you left here.  8)

Warbird

Very nice.  I'd almost be afraid to eat off of them!

SwampDonkey

Some lucky fella.  ;) They look great Jeff.  Beats shoveling snow in Michigan I suppose. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Boy,I'm telling ya,at the right outlet Jeff could make a small fortune with his talent.I just can't get over how good of a job he always does on his burnings.Looks too good to think it was done by hand.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

metalspinner

Jeff,
That burning looks awsome! 
I can barely write my name legibly with an ink pen much less draw artwork with a hot piece of steel.  ::)

Very nice! :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

oakiemac

Ok, how were those designs made? They are beautiful.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Left Coast Chris

Well, Burlcraft...... now you have a problem.... they are too nice to eat off of and need to be displayed.  Maybe remove the legs and hang them on the wall? ??? ::)

Please get Jeff to tell us what burner and tip he uses..... he has inspired some of us to start exploring the art of wood burning........ Ive had the itching.......just needed the inspiration......(got that :)) now need advise on the right burner and tip(s).
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Burlkraft

Jeff and I talked about hanging them on the wall, but they were made to be used and we're gonna use them  ;)  ;)

You'll have to wait for Jeff to chime in about his burner. I don't know nuthin' about that
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

I dont use anything special, its just an el-cheap-o all purpose set from a craft store. I think it was around 19.99 or something like that. The tips are a bit pricey. Around 4 bucks for a two pack. The second picture shows a slightly used tapered point that is the style of tip I use probably 80% of the time. Its starting to wear and bend over a bit from the heat. 

The Third photo shows what the tips look like after a bit of use and also a shading tip. I probably went through 4 or 5 tapered tips doing the trays. The wear comes from the continuous removal of carbon build up using the 220 sand paper shown under the points. You have to keep the carbon off for the burner to act like you want it to, so every few strokes on the wood, you stroke the carbon off on the sandpaper.  You'll notice several other "attachments" in the kit I have never used. It has a hot knife, and some solder, and some small brands for burning leather as well. Some day I would really love to have a Professional Detail Master pyrography set with pens, but it hardly makes sense to spend that kind of money when I can get along with what I have.  The professional set just lets you work faster and more efficiently because the tip temperature stays constant, (plus adjustable) whereas with the cheap pen you have to work slow and keep maintain a sufficient tip temperature.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Very nice. As I have always thought, the best tools in the world don't change the fact you have no talent... (referring to me of course!)

We have a carver who works for us who does an incredibly good job. I will say that better tools have made him faster, and those tools haven't made me any better.  :-[
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Warbird

Jeff, you have an amazing talent.  I've enjoyed seeing pictures of your past paintings and these wood burnings.

SwampDonkey

Jeff, that's the best tip I find to. The more blunt one is for shading a thick line as I'll show later in my Foot locker thread. There is a crest and some thick lines that the blunt tip does better than the short pointy one. My kit is the same as Jeff's, although I never bought any extras because I knew I'd use mostly just two out of the four that came with it. If you have a lot of square lines and no curved the V-beveled one comes in handy, it also burns deeper. The tear drop shaped one is interesting, I see in my papers that came with mine where it could be used, but rarely.

Take this from a non expert. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

oakiemac

So you just free-handed it? or did you make a template and then follow the lines?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Jeff

Free handing it would be folly.  You can't erase burn lines. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

oakiemac

Just fill the lines in with a little wood putty ;D

Dan_Shade

Jeff, have you ever tried cleaning the carbon off on a wet sponge?

That works with soldering irons, but you keep a soldering iron tinned
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

TexasTimbers

Those are nice nice nice. You have to make a special good first meal to use those with. You don't want to heat up a couple of TV dinners to break them in.

Maybe use them for breakfast the first time and have a bowl of . . . . never mind I don't want to derail a good thread.

Nice work and awesome present Jeff. Steve you deserve them as Norm said you are one of the best friends Jeff or anyone could have. :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!