iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

snow boots

Started by thedeeredude, January 19, 2009, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

I need new snow boots.  Been looking at Muck brand and Kamik, leaning towards the kamik, made in canada, more insulation, better price.  Muck are made in china, seem awfully thin to be warm and are twice the price.  Anyone have experience with either of them?  They have to be absolute waterproof, warm, really really warm, and resistant to rock salt and chemicals.   I'll probably use them for hunting too.

SwampDonkey

No, no experience with those brands here. I use my Redwings or Carolina work boots I have right now. Oh, I have my Redwings to, but they are in waiting. ;D I haven't worn a branded snow boot since I was a kid and I used to freeze my darn feet in them. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thedeeredude

:D  I've been using my uninsulated red wings and the salt is killing them and they're killing my feet.  I can't keep my dang feet warm in summer. >:(

stonebroke

I wear insulated two buckle lacrosse rubber boots and my feet have never been cold since,
Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

My feet have never been cold in thinsulated work boots without steel toe. I never buy steel toe.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ErikC

Look at the whites pac boot. Available in corks or airbob sole. Totally worth the money, hunting and work.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

cheyenne

This sounds dumb but it works. Get small garbage bags and put one over your socks then put your boots on. Poof instant dry warm feet....Just dont stand next to the road on garbage day.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

ErikC

I used to do that. Don't miss it but it does work.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Ironwood

For SNOW you could try the high black Sorel. If they are for snow why waterproof? I find that the Muck Chores are cold after my foot sweats, although they are a VERY good boot (I am on my second, wore out the first). If slushy, wet try the Canadian or your Muck, for REAL snow boots I use the tall black Sorel. I bought about 7 pairs of the Sorels about 5 years ago on seasonal closeout, $15 bucks each :o, they are awsome. I typically wear one pair in the morning, switch to the second for the afternoon. . I found a special foam (floor mat from Lowes actually) that doesnt absorb much moisture and insulates better than an insole. I put the homemade foam insole under the felt liner. I have been replacing the liners over the last few years as they have begun to compact. The liners are 3x the purchase price of my boots ::), hey, I am cheeeep.  I cannot see any advantage of wool  vs, modern insul liners (been testing both). I actually perfer the rigidity of the wool as it makes slipping them on/ off easier. I view snow as COLD (non wet situation) if it is slushy 30 plus degrees, then the Muck might work .

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

I don't know how well the Mucks work, but I wear Rocky SnowStalker extremes. I can wear them inside at 50 degrees, or outside at -20. My feat never overheat, get cold, or feel excessively sweaty. I don't know what the salt would do to them but slushy or snowy, they are tops.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

I wear Rocky Blizzard Stalkers in steel toe.  They are available without steel toes.  They get the job done for me and I much prefer them over pac boots
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ohsoloco

Cheyenne, you just reminded me of my childhood  :)  Didn't think anyone did that anymore.  Actually, my mom had us put bread bags over our socks before slipping our snow boots on.  I always thought it was so those old rubber boots with the metal buckles would slip on and off easier, but keeping your socks dry is a bonus. 

beenthere

For some people, whose feet don't sweat, the plastic bags might work ok.

For me,,,,no way. I would have instant slop in my shoes.  I need to get the moisture away from my feet.

Silk stocking first, then wool stocking. Put my feet in Danner(made in USA) boots with goretex sides. Works best for me.

Sorels with wool felt liner works well too, for deep snow. I think still made in Canada.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don_Papenburg

I haven't used sorels in years .  They were only warm till my feet started to sweet ,about ten min.   I just wear my normal summertime cotton socks inside my leather work shoes with a rubber boot two to three sizes larger than shoe size. It creates a "insulated " air space  that lets moisture evaporate and keeps the cold sensation off my shoe.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

sprucebunny

I have a couple pairs of the Muck boots. The 16" tall Arctic model and a 15" high steel toe model. I love them  8)
They are very warm and light but need to be dry to start the day. My feet sweat alot. A change of socks midday might help if you have that problem.
I've also tried the tall Sorel/snowmobile boots and they are pretty good but not steel toe.
Red rubber steel toe insulated were OK but not all that warm and kind of heavy.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Warbird

I was going to say you should try some bunny boots until I read the part about resistant to chemicals.  They are basically rubber and many chemicals will eat through them.  Warmest pair of boots I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

RSteiner

I have a pair of Sorels that I purchased over 20 years ago that were being discontinued at this particular store.  I bought them because they did have a steel toe.  My feet have never been cold or wet in them.  The bottoms are rubber and thetops are leather.  I have had to resew the seam in the back once and replace the liners.  The tread is getting a little smooth but I still wear them when going out in the snow and cold.

I did buy a pair of Muck boots three years ago because they are light and comfortable.  However, they have a few disadvantages for me.  The first year I got them I was gathering sap to make maple syrup and punctured the top when my foot hit some dead brush under the snow.  It was a small hole that was easily taken care of.  The other thing is after working in them outsdie for several hours my feet sweat some and if I set around for a while my feet start to get cold. 

I also have a pair of Labonville steel toe chainsaw boots with thinsilate.  If I wear a good piar of heavy wool socks and a pair of polypro liner socks my feet stay warm.  Last Saturday it was a cold day just out of the single numbers and I was cutting dead trees on the edge of a beaver pond.  All of a sudden I found myself up to my knees in the water when the ice under the snoa gave way.  My boots got wet from water going in over the top.  My feet although wet wear not cold until I stopped moving a couple of hours later.

Randy
Randy

moonhill

Search NEOS.  New England Over Shoe,  they are a modern version of the old rubber over shoe.  I use wool insoles and 2 felt liners inside each other with a single cotton sock. On real cold days frost builds  on the inside of the boot but my feet are still dry.  Muck boots are cold, damp and stinky, I only use them on days it is wet and above 40° warmer.  The Neos are a bit bulky but the warmth over comes that. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

snowman

I'm a Whites fan myself. Very tough, replaceable liners and they will put new rubber on for 50 bucks. I have a pair that's been rerubbered 4 times, leathers uppers are still in great shape.Of course I bought these back when they could get good leather so newer ones may not be quite as long lasting. Enviros strike again. :D

Clark

Growing up in MN I used to wear strictly Sorels, I thought they were the only winter boot out there!  My feet get cold real easy and the Sorels never helped.  Relatively thin on the bottom, go just past your ankles, liners wear out, etc. were all things that made Sorels second-rate for me.

Then several years ago I got a pair of Rocky winter boots.  They are similar to some of the Muck Boot Company's winter boots.  Think knee-high rubber boot with tons of insulation.  My feet were warm all day, no matter what the temperature!  The bottoms were very thick which is great if you're spending any time on the ice.  Completely waterproof and comfortable on top of it.  These Rockies I have are not perfect.  The insulation in the heal area has torn out and they aren't real comfortable now.  I got a hole punctured in the sole, but was able to patch it up.

My next pair of winter boots will probably be Muck Boots.  I've heard great things about them and they seem to be the same general design as my old Rockies, but with some tweaks that should take care of some problems.   Unlike a traditional knee-high rubber boot, the Mucks have a different material on the very top which should allow them to move better when walking in them.  Shouldn't get that "wop-wop" sound from the top of the boot hitting the front then back of your calves.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

MrMoo

I have a pair of Sorel Pt. Barrow that I bought 13 years ago and they work great. My feet are always dry and warm. Somewhat bulky but you can't beat them. Cabelas use to carry them. I am not sure if they still do.

ErikC

The whites I have were bought 2 years ago. They seem as well made as the pair before. Heavy leather. Sure will take a beating. I think the rubber is chemical and fuel resistant.

LAZERDAN

WOW    I just got a pair of MUDD DOG boots made By the Georgia Boot Co.  Bought them at Tractor Supply Co.  Wife thought I need a new pair of boots,she bought them for a gift.  Work requires steel toes, the mud and snow all ways takes a toll on my redwings.  I never thought I'd be doin an endorcement but Holy cow these are the nicest, waterproof , most comfortable boots    i've ever had.   I work out side 10 hrs a day,  last week it was -10 to zero all week never had cold feet.   Take it for what it's worth, guess i gotta give the little lady a at a boy    And they look good too.    Lazerdan 

Brucer

This is the second winter I've been wearing my Dunlop "Purofort" boots. They have steel toes and a steel shank (in case you step on something sharp), and they're made from a polyurethane "microfoam". You'd never believe it to look at 'em, but they're really warm. As long as you're moving about, they'll keep your feet warm even in sub-zero weather. Not so hot if you're just standing or operating machinery.

These things are waterproof and chemical-proof. In fact, after I got them I discovered they're the main choice in the oil fields in northern Alberta. Quite a few of the guys around here have them, and some people find they rub a bit and raise blisters. I figure you just have to take your favourite winter socks and find a pair that fits a bit loose.

They're not cheap, mind you.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WOJO

I have used muck boots the (woody maxx) with very good results, they are light and comfortable. also I noticed that no one had mentioned  the    " Mickey mouse" boots that you can get at the army/navy stores or the flea markets. I have used these boots in very cold weather. they are the best cold weather boot that i've used, the only downside to them is that they are a little on the heavy side.
NE 346XP 18" bar, 372 XP 20" bar, 390 XP 24"bar

Thank You Sponsors!