iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

finding deer sheds.

Started by semologger, January 18, 2009, 10:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

I went out the other day for a walk about. I was lloking for sheds its still a little soon but i needed out of the house. Instead of finding any sheds i found a carcas striped clean. It was a little basket rack a 7 point. I plan on going soon again out the farm. I have 50 acres at the house and there is almost 500 at the farm. Its going to be a long walk at the farm.

Any of you guys do any shed hunting. What kind of tricks you have. I am trying to teach my black lab to help but he is still new at it like me. I am going to take some of my racks i have and plant them around the property and see if he can find them.

Burlkraft

I used to make a woven wire container and put ear corn in it. About 3' across. The bucks would feed and get the horns caught in the wire and they would fall off.

Collected a lot of sheds that way. Lots of sets too  ;D  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

LeeB

Any of those sets stil have a live critter attached?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

Quote from: LeeB on January 19, 2009, 12:44:55 AM
Any of those sets stil have a live critter attached?

No critters, but I've had a few displaced feeders  ;D  ;D

Never had one get hung up and take off with one. I was bow hunting once and watched a buck assault one of them.
Then he just walked away  ::)  ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

I've seen poaching snares on deer trails many times. It's not legal of course. I saw where one was snared in the summer when we was fishing a nice dead water full of trout. Someone came back later and hatcheted off it's antlers. It has been dead for awhile when I found it. Moose like following deer paths to it seems.  ::)

That was a great fishing paradise until greedy forest grunts poached it to death.  I mean instead of the legal 30 trout, ice chests full. :-X

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Gonna look for some sheds (mainly that 10 pointer) when this snow melts down a bit... ;D ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

guys here will bury a five gallon pail almost to the top and put corn in the bottom of it. leave a little space under neath it and a couple drain holes in case it rains. deer hate soured grain. anyway they will get down on their knees to get at the corn and rub the antlers off on the bucket as they eat. usually from about now through feb.

i seen two really nice bucks sunday that were sporting their racks still yet.

semologger

Nice pitchures of those deer beenthere. Are they walking or laying down. If they are standing wow thats some deep snow. Hope you are a good shot. You are not going to get a broadside shot on them. Did you take the pitchure?

Never heard of the bucket idea sounds pretty neat i need to try that on. I need to do that during season maybe they wont run as fast if you miss one the first shot.  I would like to put a game cam on a spot like that.

SwampDonkey

Was snow shoeing today, not near as much snow as that, maybe 18" and 3 feet in the brush thickets the wind drifts around. I did see where a moose walked about a week ago according to the last snowfall. Lots of coyotes and rabbits around (tracks). Saw 30 gold finch in the weeds eating seeds. A few chickadees, and blue jays. A raven followed me around, ever watchful for anything to eat. Too bad, no scraps this time. :)

semologger

Might be a stupid ? but do Moose and Elk loose their antlers. If so seems like it would be alot easier to find those big suckers.

SwampDonkey

Moose do yes. But, there is a lot more acres of woods versus moose carcass to look over. :D The other wildlife consume them quickly.

SwampDonkey

This guy got froze in solid.

ErikC

Elk also lose their antlers. I have found them a couple of times, But I'm not sure they are any easier to find. Might be less of them I guess. I was pig hunting in mendocino county this weekend, and found three sheds, all last year though. The bucks I saw while I was out still had them on.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

As you can see in my picture, the coyotes were fascinated by that antler. Tracks all over.

Mooseherder

I know of some people who'll walk through the woods looking for Moose sheds.
They must find them because We have Moose all over at camp yet I have only found a half set.
My wife and I found this one down by the brook.  It was full of mold and looked to have been nibbled on by something.  We almost missed it.  I bleached it, left it out in the sun for a few days and it has stayed white since.  It gets use as a hat rack. :)

Corley5

I found an elk shed with a tractor tire once.  Wasn't pretty  >:(  I've mentioned before that I hate Michigan elk  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ErikC

About a week ago I saw the dogs chewing on something in the driveway.  It was an old small buck skull with antlers still attached they found out in the woods. I ran over it with my truck and popped a tire 2 hours later. No one to blame for that but me. >:(
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

semologger

my  lab seems to find sheds better than me. i have got to teach him to find them for me.

Frickman

Mooseherder,

Mice, voles, and other critters knaw on shed antlers as they are a good source of calcium. That's why I rarely find them, they all get eaten first.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Bibbyman

I've found a bushel basket full of antlers over the past few years. Almost all were singles.

This summer son Gabe hit one with the lawn mower just feet behind the house.  Then later the dowg came in with the mate to it.  She may have found them both and brough them to the yard.  She didn't want to give up the one she had in her mouth.

I went out walking one time this winter but the weeds are still too tall.  I hunt along fences where they cross and in places that look to be bedding areas.

Here are a couple more I found on the same day about 50 yards apart in a new wheat patch.  They don't match and I did not find either mate.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

kderby

Looking for deer and elk antlers is like walking on the beach after a storm and picking up sea shells.  If you are the first one there you can find some pretty special mementos.  I like thinking about the buck or bull.  I celebrate that if the animal shed his antlers, he is going to be even larger this year.

The best way to find sheds is to cover the most ground.  Some people don't "get it"  but it is a huge treat for me to go horn hunting.

KD

Bibbyman

Found my first deer shed of the year.  Don't you want to know where I found it?

The eye guard looks like it's stuck in the tire but it broke off.  The point only stuck in the lug.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

And, you were lucky two ways...... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I've been shed hunting before, but it just ended up being a hike,
never found anything.  I guess I'm just not lucky like that.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!