iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plane crash

Started by CLL, January 17, 2009, 03:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLL

The man up above was sure watching over them people. What I really appreciate is the Captain saying it was the WHOLE crew that saved the passengers. The sad thing about it was the airport had hired people to kill enough geese until they decided it wasn't a good place to live. Seems the animal rights activist decided dead people was better than dead geese, and blocked the people hired. What have we come to??
Too much work-not enough pay.

sawguy21

That pilot really kept his cool but I'll bet his cheeks had a death grip on the seat.  ;D Unfortunately, birds are a fact of life around airports. The grass is kept short so there is a lot of insect activity and worms and grubs are easy pickings. Once the birds get used to them, sirens, fake predator calls and firearms are not much of a deterrent.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Wenrich

I'm always curious how they get a plane like that out of the river.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

stonebroke

A really big barge mounted crane. They put wide straps under the fuselage and wings andpick it up. Their problem at the moment is the current is to strong so they can only work at the change in tides. The plane is not going anywhere so they will get it out of the river. The tanks are not even leaking jet fuel.

Stonebroke

beenthere

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 17, 2009, 03:34:26 PM
That pilot really kept his cool but I'll bet his cheeks had a death grip on the seat.  ;D Unfortunately, birds are a fact of life around airports. The grass is kept short so there is a lot of insect activity and worms and grubs are easy pickings. Once the birds get used to them, sirens, fake predator calls and firearms are not much of a deterrent.

So, killing the bugs, insects, and worms would keep the geese away. Sounds possible.
Geese are going to be a continuing problem for us, and a plan to cut that population by about 90% would be a good one to start now. In the city's, they are beyond being a nuisance. They have taken over some city parks in Madison, so it is reported. Most other city's have large populations of the geese as well.

I'd heard it said that pilots turning the radar on would scare the birds off....not sure I can believe that one.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

I thought geese ate grass, not bugs.   Need some geese growers to confirm or refute.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Shotgun

Quote from: Cedarman on January 17, 2009, 06:17:58 PM
I thought geese ate grass, not bugs.   Need some geese growers to confirm or refute.

WHAT DO CANADA GEESE EAT?

on land - grasses, marsh grass, berries, seeds
in water - pond plants, tubers, roots, algae
also feed on crops like clover, alfalfa, wheat, rye, corn, barley, oats and grain left in farmers' fields after the harvest

Norm (Not a goose grower)
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

sawdust

They do NOT eat Canadians! Thought they have been known to pursue and bite golfers.

sawddust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

metalspinner

A parent from my son's class was on that flight!  She is fine and we are awaiting her arrival back into town.  I'm sure she will tall her story to the class in time.

What amazed me was that nobody on those wings were holding their seat cushions as a floatation devise. :D

That splash landing was incredible.  :o 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

VT

[quote ]

What amazed me was that nobody on those wings were holding their seat cushions as a flotation devise.

[/quote]
Airbus A320 has real inflators as with all Euro Aircraft. Only in North America and flying in NA is that BS allowed. (Controlled by Air traffic agency's  around the world )

""Those targets had not been on the radar screen of the air traffic controller who approved the departure, Higgins said."" AP PAPER Quote

Theres the problem , not the Geese , No local Radar since Regan cut the budget for Air Traffic controllers .. Most Aerodrome's are blind to birds and small aircraft compared to first class air carriers having collision radar , thats for BIG aircraft , they can't see a Cessna till there on it

VT

But I commend the pilot , for the way he conducted and demanded of his crew ..

Needed to add the most important part.

Ianab

A security camera video that caught the actual crash, people getting out of the plane and the first rescue boats arriving.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9e6_1232166872
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dan_Shade

it would take a pretty powerful and sophisticated radar system to see a single goose....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

stonebroke

The local radar actually saw the flock of geese(it was that big) but thought it was weather,

Stonebroke

Norm

As a former goose owner they eat greens not bugs. Ducks are good bug eaters with some greens mixed in. After it would rain and the nightcrawlers came out the ducks would slurp them up like spaghetti.

Some years ago a NWA flight out of Sioux City hit a goose on takeoff. They were climbing out and it went through the windshield cutting up the PIC pretty bad. Turned around and landed safely.

Dan_Shade

a flock is different from a single bird

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jim king

We live in Iquitos, Peru the biggest city in the world with no roads going to it.  You either get here by air or 7-10 days by slow boat from the nearest road.  For almost five years we had no air service in the daylight hours as we had thousands of buzzards in the area and the greenies would not let the soilders shoot them.

The city dump has now been moved 30 km out of town and no more or very few buzzards and now we have daylight flights.  Now the Greenies want to move the dump back to town as it is currently within a mile of a river.  Now it is time to send the solders after the Greenies.

Back to the real story that Captain and crew did and amazing job and showed what they were made of plus a bit of luck didnt hurt a thing.

snowman

Simple solutin, hire a man with a shotgun to patrol runways and shoot every goose he sees.Geese are smart, they see thir buddies getting killed,they leave.These so called "humane" sirens and noise makers may save goose lives but are kinda hard on human lives. Added benefit is airlines could serve goose for lunch instead of 8 peanuts. :D

stonebroke

USDA has a nuisance wildlife service that does just that. They have to be carefull with PETA around but I imagine they will be getting a lot less grief now.

Stonebroke

Gary_C

Problem is that flock of geese were at 3000 feet according to reports. Kind of out of range of any body on the ground, except maybe Norm.  :D :D

Now that the plane is out of the Hudson, I wonder what they will eventually do with it after the NTSB gets through with it. Suppose they rebuild it and send it back after more geese.  :D

What I really wonder is how long before the #$%* insurance companies will pay the airline for that plane.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Dan_Shade

I wondered that too, Gary, I wouldn't be surprised if it were overhauled and put back into service.

Jeff

I'd be very surprised. Not that they couldn't or that it wouldn't be safe, but  I would guess it will become an icon of interest at some point. A public exhibit.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Left Coast Chris

I was really impressed at how fast the current was and how the rescue boats were bobing and manuvering around the plane bringing in each person one at a time.   At the same time swiftly going down river.   Impressive.   
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

VT

I'm thinking that plane if brought back into service would have more problems for what it's worth.
Think about your car , and trying to pay a shop to make it roadworthy again. That Plane is airworthy with much less of a percent overbuilt as to a car that is not weight bound. Then that plane is in salt water, and that alloy is for temp stress, not salt from inside the fuselage ..

Price per #

VT

Gary_C

I don't know if salt water is the major problem. I think that the part of the Hudson is actually an estuary with tide flows back and forth. Here may be a bigger problem from Wikipedia:

General Electric Corporation has been involved in a long lasting battle over the cleanup of Polychlorinated biphenyl contamination of the Hudson. According to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA): "The General Electric Company discharged between 209,000 and 1.3 million pounds of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) into the river from two capacitor manufacturing plants located in Hudson Falls and Fort Edward."

Other pollution issues affecting the river include: Accidental sewage discharges, urban surface runoff, heavy metals, furans, dioxin, pesticides, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
     ::)

Those passengers may never get their luggage back. It's probably considered toxic waste now.

I think the Hudson is a Superfund Cleanup site also. When they start digging for that missing engine, who knows what they could find. Maybe Jimmy Hoffa.  ;D  ;D

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!