iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pioneer P 51

Started by first shirt, January 17, 2009, 07:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

first shirt

It is very difficult at times to pull the rope on my saw, it seems to have tremendous amounts of compression and will not start.  I checked the gap, it is correct on both the flywheel and spark plug.  When I remove the sparkplug and attempt to start the saw I am getting a small spark. No internal parts are broken.  I am stumped!

timber tramp

Have you checked the spark arrester screen? Had a similar problem once with a homelite, and after checking out everything else, it turned out that the screen was full of carbon. I use a propane torch to clean these, fastest method I've found yet.

What color is the "small spark" at the plug?
                                                                        TT

Cause every good story needs a villan!

pineywoods

First shirt, I'd bet the upper cylinder and exhaust ports are all carboned up. Pull the muffler off and look at the ports. Older saws could be pretty bad about this, plus the thinking that some oil is good, so more oil is better.I had an old homelite that called for 30 to 1 gas oil mix, DanG thing would plug up with carbon on a regular basis. Running ourboard motor oil instead of more modern 2 stroke oil will make it worse...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

first shirt

Quote from: timber tramp on January 17, 2009, 08:15:03 AM
  Have you checked the spark arrester screen? Had a similar problem once with a homelite, and after checking out everything else, it turned out that the screen was full of carbon. I use a propane torch to clean these, fastest method I've found yet.

What color is the "small spark" at the plug?
                                                                        TT

the "small spark" is blue.  screen was clear.

logwalker

Does it pull easily when the plug is out? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

first shirt

Quote from: logwalker on January 17, 2009, 09:37:20 PM
Does it pull easily when the plug is out? Joe

Yes, when the plug is removed their is no resistance.

shtickhead

If I remember right and it's the same saw, it has a decompression
button. Have you had the saw long?

first shirt

Quote from: shtickhead on January 18, 2009, 09:23:22 PM
If I remember right and it's the same saw, it has a decompression
button. Have you had the saw long?

My dad bought it new about 30 years ago.  It has been in his shop under a tarp for about 25 of those years.  Their is a green button just below the on/off switch. I am not sure what it is for and if it is supposed to be in the out or in position when starting the saw. Unfortunately the manual was lost many years ago.

shtickhead

If you got that saw started from cold with out pushing that button in
you done good. If it's on the compression stroke you'll just about break the rope
before it turns over. The end of the crank shaft twisted off in the flywheel in the one we had. I may still have it in a box somewhere if someone has a crank or needs parts.

SawTroll

As I remember it, the P51 was a troublesome and short-lived model.

I believe the starter was one of the weak points.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!