iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If you need an awesome concrete sign call Banjo Picker.

Started by fishpharmer, January 16, 2009, 03:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

I had the pleasure of meeting my first Forestry Forum member face to face and his son Banjo Picker Jr (my name for him not necessarily his).  Its always amazing how folks often have many different talents and are brought together by a totally seperate but mutual passion for the smell of fresh sawdust.   They were in town installing that sign they made.  If I ever need a concrete sign I will call them.   The photo doesn't do the sign justice. 

They gave me a wealth of information about the finer points of picking out good sweetgum trees for crossties.  They took time out of their busy schedule to come by my place and see my raggedy farm and homemade mill  :-[.  Just one problem about these folks, we didn't have enough time to do all our discussin.  Maybe next time Banjo.

Its not often a fella can get dinner (thats lunch for you yankees ;)) in trade for a half rotted persimmon log. 

Even if it was the world record persimmon :D

Let me know if you get anything out of it, Banjo.

I gotta say that a knuckle boom loader ain't got nothing on ole Banjo picker jr.   That fella just about threw that persimmon log on the back of the truck.

Thanks Banjo and Banjo Jr.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WildDog

I will take one sign Banjo could it read "Westleigh" Welcome but No unauthorised Fosickin, Fishin, Shootin, trespassin.

Could you just leave it near the end of Bullock Mountain road on the Reddestone Creek with the bill and I will set it up. :) 

Thanks in advance.

Wilddog
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

isawlogs

Thats a fine looking sign .  smiley_clapping

How much does one of those weigh . ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

Quote from: fishpharmer on January 16, 2009, 03:29:04 AM
  Just one problem about these folks, we didn't have enough time to do all our discussin. 

That's usually the way it is.  Meeting other members is just about as addicting as sawdust. :) :)

That is indeed an awesome sign! Good job BP! 8) 8)  Right away, I notice some desirable features.   It ain't gonna blow away!  Nobody's gonna steal it.  You won't ever hafta change the light bulb. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Banjo picker

Folks I just want you all to know that the pleasure was all on this end.  Bobby and I sure enjoyed meeting James.  He showed up to rescue us from waiting on the weilder that hadn't got there after we set it up.  (Strapped the sign to the base, got in his truck and he knew where to go for lunch.  Guess what we had?  It was good to. 

We enjoyed the tour of the place.  Got to see our first in person custom made sawmill.  As to the log, I have been checking the old posts about persimmon, as to how to saw it.  It seems to be kind of a challange, but I'm looking forward to it.  Not today though, it was 9 degrees when I got up.  Not gona crank nothing that don't have to be crunk. ;D .  Is that a word?

And I have been telling #2 son that we have a knuckleboom, and if he lives long enough he might wish he had not put so much strain on the ole body.  But you don't normall worry about that at 22.

Quote from: WildDog on January 16, 2009, 03:44:45 AM
I will take one sign Banjo could it read "Westleigh" Welcome but No unauthorised Fosickin, Fishin, Shootin, trespassin.

Could you just leave it near the end of Bullock Mountain road on the Reddestone Creek with the bill and I will set it up. :) 

Thanks in advance.

Wilddog

Shippin might be a little rough. :D And I want to know what is Fosickin? ??? 

Marcel the base weighs a touch over 6000 lbs and the sign is a little over 4000.  Sometimes I pour the base in place, but this time we just took it with us so we could roundtrip it in one day.

Dang if you ever get up there you need to get to know James he is a nice guy.  I hope to see him again soon.  I'm proud to say I have a new friend.

Before I forget,  My wife painted it and she wanted to know why I forgot to mention that? 8)

James that was nice of you to put a picture of the sign on here, we all know I haven't got it yet  :-[  I messed with it a little yesterday, but to no avail..  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

DanG

BP, crunk is definitely a word, complete with variables.  One of my Uncles was a tractor mechanic.  One day he was in the shop alone when an old black farmer called for help.  Unk asked him what was wrong, and he said, "I 'ont know.  I's jes plowin' 'long an it come uncrunk."
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Warbird

Quote from: Banjo picker on January 16, 2009, 11:23:02 AM
Strapped the sign to the base, got in his truck and he knew where to go for lunch.  Guess what we had?  It was good to.

Grits?!  ;D

thecfarm

Is the Dave Shepard brand grits joke still going?

Edit,yes the G-R-I-T-S joke is still going.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

Nope it was not grits, but I wouldn't mind being let in on the joke .

Dang it seems my #1 son had to be rescued yesterday when the 2500 dodge he was driving came uncrunk.  I think he ran out of diesel.  He got a pretty good ride as I pulled him home with a 20 foot choker.  :D  Its not good when one comes uncrunk like that.  It won't get any attention till it warms up.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

thecfarm

Did you noticed how g-r-i-t-s got changed into Dave Shepard brand g-r-i-t-s if don't use the - key?
Try this thread

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,35122.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Banjo thanks for the kind words.  You reckon some of that U.S. Farm Raised Catfish (did I mention it was the best in the world!) would be good with some grits Banjo?  Somewhere in my fading collection of recollections my palate has had that pleasure too.

Quote from: DanG on January 16, 2009, 12:49:58 PM
it come uncrunk."

Thats exactly what happened to my homemade mill and the old JD 4020 too (come to think of it).  I have been struggling to find the proper forestry forum terminology.   Now we got a right and proper way to describe some of our priceless yard ornaments.  And the old farmer would have said it I reckon if he had come to appreciate the importance of his mechanics nephew     impact on society (or forestry forum for sure).    What I am saying is he might have said
his tractor  "  come DanG uncrunk."

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Banjo picker

Quote from: fishpharmer on January 17, 2009, 04:25:06 AM
Banjo thanks for the kind words.  You reckon some of that U.S. Farm Raised Catfish (did I mention it was the best in the world!) would be good with some Dave Shepard brand grits Banjo?  Somewhere in my fading collection of recollections my palate has had that pleasure too.

Quote from: DanG on January 16, 2009, 12:49:58 PM
it come uncrunk."

Thats exactly what happened to my homemade mill and the old JD 4020 too (come to think of it).  I have been struggling to find the proper forestry forum terminology.   Now we got a right and proper way to describe some of our priceless yard ornaments.  And the old farmer would have said it I reckon if he had come to appreciate the importance of his mechanics nephew     impact on society (or forestry forum for sure).    What I am saying is he might have said
his tractor  "  come DanG uncrunk."

James if you have figured out the deal with the Dave Shepard g-r-i-t-s please let me in on it 

Quote from: thecfarm on January 16, 2009, 05:35:39 PM
Did you noticed how g-r-i-t-s got changed into Dave Shepard brand g-r-i-t-s if don't use the - key?
Try this thread

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,35122.0.html

I am going to try this -- If I type grits plain and simple what happens?  This is a test.   ;D Tim

Well that didn't do anything special when I previewed it..I read that thread and several others last night trying to figure it out... must be like posting pictures- just not for me.   :(  Tim

fishpharmer

Banjo I think we can figure this grits thing out.

Somebody alot smarter than me.  And I hate to say, thats probably most folks on here.  Figured a way to make some words turn into something a little different from what my two fingers pecked.

So if you type the letters g-r-i-t-s   it turns to grits

and if you type y-a-n-k-e-e  it turns to yankee

Now I am starting to think you gotta be a member of this secret society I hear called the Holey Oak Club to really know whats going on.  I am having a sneaking suspicion that Jeff or Tom or both with some accomplices are involved in the reeducation of forestry forum minds. 

Banjo I will continue my investigation by reading as many posts on this forum as I can and trying to meet as many forumites as I can.  I think if we put our heads together we can figure it out in a reasonable amount of time.  Give or take a few years. 

Wouldn't be all bad if I learn what I am supposed to be doing around a sawmill either before I hurt myself.

8)

Banjo picker

Another test is in order.. ;D  I like grits.  Tim

Banjo picker

DanG

So ya finally figgered it out, eh? 8) :D  I remember back when we had The Cfarm Brand grits. ;D :D :D

Banjo picker

Yep, I got it.  Not gona try the other word until the right time. :D  Tim

thecfarm

I remember the cfarm g-r-i-t-s too.   :D  :D 
Dave been real quiet about it though.
I did not know about the Proud and intelligent gentleman from a northern state joke.I wonder who can take claim for that one?

james

Testing y-a-n-k-e-e   g-r-i-t-s
yankee grits
james ???

fishpharmer

TheCfarm I think Lincoln generally gets credit for that around here ;D 8)

timberfaller390

Quote from: fishpharmer on January 17, 2009, 10:07:35 AM
and if you type y-a-n-k-e-e  it turns to Proud and intelligent gentleman from a northern state
What happens if I type in *DanG Proud and intelligent gentleman from a northern state?
Well That just ain't right. *DanG Y-a-n-k-e-e-s
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!