iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cushman mowers(engine identity needed)

Started by Paul_H, January 15, 2009, 05:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

I have a older Cushman Frontline mower that was given to me 4 years ago because the engine was ready to calve.It has blow by and it overheats or at least bubbles coolant and it seems to be coming out the crankase vent sometimes too(steam) so I suspect a head gasket(?)
Being cheap,I ran the engine 4 more years but pulled the engine a couple days ago to do an overhaul.When I call the dealer,he can't seem to figure out the engine model or even the make but suspects it is a little Mitsubishi diesel.

The model of Cushman is a Frontline 898804 and it was built sometime in the early 1980's.I wouldn't mind putting a few bucks into the machine because it's fast and spins on a dime which comes in handy for the 25 fruit trees in the yard.We had a 42" Craftsman but it took 3 hours to do our whole lawn,it's half the time with the Cushman.

Here are some pics of the  2 cyl diesel engine,first one shows the bottom of the crankcase

This second pic shows the back side of the engine with the injector pump.Notice the radiator is mounted directly to the engine.

And the front.There is a rubber damper that bolts to the flywheel to connect to the hyd pump.

Can anybody point me in the right direction for engine parts(rings,gaskets,manual etc)?

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Warbird

I did a few searches and came up with what someone else had posted somewhere else asking for help.  This is what he said:

Quote22HP OMC Twin Engine year 1988 (I think)
model 898804 8810

The only info that I have on the fuel pump is cushman's part number 887258

Does that help?

*edit* Not finding any parts suppliers yet.  I'll keep checking.

Warbird

There are all kinds of parts places but as you said, you need to know what brand of engine it actually is.  If you call the number on this page, maybe they can help you?

http://www.cushmanco.com/pages/common/manuals.html

Best I can do.  Anybody else?

Paul_H

Thanks,I appreciate any help.The engine has what I think is Japanese writing on it and has a single series of number stamped on it but that's all.

Warbird

What are the numbers stamped on the engine?

Paul_H

15132 and they are located beside the oil pressure sending unit.

Paul_H

I heard back from Rollins Machinery in the lower mainland regarding the Cushman.They are the dealer for New Holland and Jacobsen and a few other lines of equipment.
Anyway,I was thankfull to be able to talk to Dean in parts and he has done some digging and determined that it's a Mitsubishi M73 engine and he is going to copy his parts manual and mail it to us.He said parts are still available so I can begin to tear down the engine.

I Googled Mitsubishi M73 for a manual of some sort but no luck.

Paul_H

Thank You Sponsors!