iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husqvarna - next chainsaw

Started by ahlkey, January 15, 2009, 05:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahlkey

I have a Husky 55 original that I have owned for many years and it continues to be a solid all around good saw.  I also have a 570 with a 24" bar that I use when cutting larger trees but given it's output I find it heavy.  I would perfer an all around husky saw with only an 18" bar and it seems the 372XP which is lighter with more output than the 570 makes sense. Would this be a good saw based on what I have already or should I move up to maybe the 385XP with a 24 inch blade and then put a smaller 18 inch blade on the 570?   The trees that I cut annually are typically in the 15 to 25 inch range, all hardwood, and about 100 cords per year. Thanks

Maineloggerkid

I think the 372xp with a 20" bar and skip chains would be a great saw. That is how I had mine set up, and I loved it. I will be getting another as soon as my budget allows.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

timber tramp

Why skip chain on a 20" bar? I run skip on my longer bars (28,32) but on a 20 I think it'd be sort of redundant. I'm over on the other coast though so maybe different wood species. :)  TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Maineloggerkid

One time, I just tried it, and while it didn't make a big difference, it did improve cutting speed some, and it gave it a little more stump power. Again, nothing serious, but it helped a little and I liked the way it cut.

woodsrunner

I have a 372 that I really like. I normally keep an 18 inch bar on because it rides in the front basket of my 4 wheeler a lot. I also carry a 24 inch bar in the basket for big stuff. I have run it with the 20 inch bar a fair bit as well and with either of those (the 20 or the 18) it rips. I think you would be very happy with it. The 372 is considered a classic and many say it is Husky's best saw. I can't disagree with those sentiments.

ladylake

I have a 385xp that cuts good but is heavy 23# on a good scale full of gas and oil with a 22" bar and chain.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

1953greg

if you need a 24" bar continously then you wil need a 385xp.  if a 20" is adequate then the 372xp is more than enough and with .5 more hp than your 570 wil handle the 24" when needed occasionally. 

if funds are an issue first try a 20" on your 570. you wil b surprised how much lighter your saw seems. 
if you are looking for a reason for a new saw then the 372xp is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!! 

either way let us know what you decide.

good day    greg

Maineloggerkid

I ran a 24" bar for a long time on my 372 with no problem.

buzzegray

I just got a 36" bar for my 385xp. I hope I like it

Bill

Meadows Miller

Gday ahikey

I find for swinging  an 18" bar a 359 will do the job well ive had mine for 2 years now done about 400+ton and it hasent missed a beat they have the highest rpm & torqe band and the best power to weight ratio out of all the saws i looked at  ;) ;D 8)
remember that you can drop anything upto 36" dia with an 18" bar or double the bar dia there aint no point lugging around anything bigger than you need  ;) ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Dave Shepard

I guess that depends on how much wood you want to put on the ground, and how fast. ;D I could certainly put a lot of wood on the ground with my 66, but the 394 will do it a lot faster, and funner. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ahlkey

Thanks for all the good advice.  It seems like the 372XP or the larger 385XP would be a great choice.  I agree an easy test would be to put a smaller blade on the 570 and see how it feels before deciding on the next model and bar length.

I will give it a try this week. 

Cut4fun

They make a saws with the weight of the 372 and the power of the 385 390. Its called the Dolmar 7900 or Solo 681 and cheaper too. Now finding a good dealer local could be a task.

capt n cutz

saws and opinions, the endless list!
I can only share my opinion, production cutting hardwood.
Sooo,
I must start with the chain Full skip (I know of no other)
Then the bar length 20" (it's plenty long enuff) even with the pro dawgs.
now saws,
can't go wrong with a 372, well till you run one with the BB on it then you have to have that one.
385 ahhh well it's okay but when you get a 390 you will leave the 385 next to the urinal! if your considering weight stay away from the 385.
I would like to continue on with Stihl but we are considering weight, so skip that.
I have had my experience with a 570 also, it didn't last very long (I'll leave it at that) same goes for the 575 garbage I mean saw.
I do have to add as far as fuel consumption the 575 way out last the 372, 372 are pretty thirsty.  I heard last week that Husky went out of their way to improve the new 576 and they even admitted some of the problems with the 575 (honest resource).
Of coarse the Dolmar 7900 is a vary tempty treat, I have had my hands on one (no production cutting with it though) I could care less for how the choke lever sticks out, other than that real similar to the 372, just way to hard (4 me) to get Dolmar saws and parts.

I am currently back and forth with my 460 and 390 and the 372 well 375 sits in the rig waiting, just seems like such a little toy when I break it out. Don't get me wrong it really rips!

Now I must end with this note, no matter if it's a tinker toy or a big hog the most important thing to make it cut is the chain and how it is filed, and some good fresh gas.  Also if you are cutting up dirty material with a high rev saw you can fry the bearings! (seen it few times)
Best of luck.
So...You want to be a Logger? eh!

Dave Shepard

Ms660 16.5 lbs
395XP 17.4 lbs

I don't know why you are eliminating Stihl based on weight. That's almost a pound less.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mad murdock

I started with Mac, then Jonsereds, my most recent saw '06 purchase, is a 372XP with full wrap handle.  I run a 28" bar with full chisel skip tooth chain, it cuts like mad in softwoods, and does a real good job in hardwood as well.  I really like the 372XP.  Baileys sells alot of replacement parts for it, even have a big bore cylinder kit for it if you want to beef it up.  I have used it with my alaskan mill and it does a fair job of cutting boards with the ripping chain I bought for it.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SawTroll

Quote from: timber tramp on January 15, 2009, 06:27:17 PM
   Why skip chain on a 20" bar? I run skip on my longer bars (28,32) but on a 20 I think it'd be sort of redundant. I'm over on the other coast though so maybe different wood species. :)  TT

I see no reason to use skip with 20 or 24" bars...... ::)
Information collector.

capt n cutz

Quote from: SawTroll on January 24, 2009, 01:37:52 PM

Have you ever tried it?  After years of running full skip, I see no reason for the full comp.

timber tramp

>>Have you ever tried it?  After years of running full skip, I see no reason for the full comp.

Full comp is "smoother" when cutting small stuff. Not as grabby for limbing, pruning, brush clearing etc... :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Maineloggerkid

It is less grabby, for sure. I run full skip because it does seem to make a little difference, it files quicker because of less teeth, and at my local saw shop, the cost difference is almost nothing.

I have another saw or 2 for cutting little stuff.

capt n cutz

Suppose it's just a matter of what one likes or gets used to.  I feel that the full skip is much smoother, verses the full comp being very grabby.  and to put the file to em' the full skip is a breeze, the comp is like opening a sharks mouth.

must add that I could care less for the semi-skip stuff, can't pinpoint it, yet have tried enuff of it to know that I don't like it.

Dave Shepard

Most people feel that the full comp is smoother than the skip. I'm going to order up a full-skip for the long bar, and see what all the buzz is about.

capt n cutz

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 25, 2009, 05:00:40 PM
Most people feel that the full comp is smoother than the skip. I'm going to order up a full-skip for the long bar, and see what all the buzz is about.

Keep us up to speed on what you think of it.

ahlkey

Bought a smaller 20" bar & chain for the 570 and it worked pretty good.  It is surprising how just dropping from the 24" bar how lighter the saw appeared to me.  In addition having the smaller length made it easier to move around but I still find the saw heavy after a long day in the woods.  Will continue to give it a workout for the next couple of weeks to see if I can adjust to it's weight and feel, but right now I leaning toward a new 372XP given it is lighter than the 385XP. 

woodtroll

Ahh just go buy the 372XP. You'll like it

ahlkey

I checked with a few local dealers in driving distance today just in case and I was surprised to see the price ranges any where from $799.95 (2), $759 (2), $715 (1) and for $699 (1).   I guess you are right it is time to just make that purchase as I would hate to pay more in a couple of weeks.  Likewise, my son will soon be available in March to help out on weekends so I will need another solid saw and the 385XP is just too heavy for me.   It sure helps to shop around!

stumpy

I bought a 218Lite with a 30" bar.  I love it.  It's relatively light and has more than enough power for the big logs.  Does seem to be thirsty though.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

stumpy

Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

ahlkey

It seems the 288XP is not longer available as new model and what I can gather from the specifications is a 89 cc model.  Wow that is indeed powerful?  What would you estimate it weighs without the bar and chain?  On a history website it was shown as 16.3 lbs but not sure if that is correct or not for the lite designation?

Dave Shepard

16.3 pounds, PHO (PowerHeadOnly)

ahlkey

At 16.3 lbs that would be too heavy for me for an all day saw.   As an update I went to the local dealer to buy the 372XP today and he almost talked me into the 7900 Dolmar for the same price. It does have 6.3 HP which is higher than the 372XP at 5.6 and weighs about the same.  I have always been a Husky guy so it may be hard to swithch but if anyone can give me a feel for the Dolmar 7900 that would helpful.  I plan to go back to the store later this week to finalize.

JaxSawyer

I'd been looking at the 445 at Lowe's and just called to find out they've been recalled. Glad I didn't buy sooner. There's a Stihl 290 on craigslist. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to replace my Poulan Pro.

oldsaw

372 will pull a 20" bar, full comp, in hardwood with no problems.  It's the only size bar I have on mine.  066 generally wears a 24", which is an explosive combination.  Somehow or another, it's my "go to" set-up.  A 24 on a 385 will give you a glimpse of what I'm talking about.  The 372 is just nicer to carry around.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Big Stick

A HOT 372 will pull a 42" stoked with 75CJ rather nicely(Doug Fir,Spruce,Red/Yellow/P.O. Cedar,Redwood,Sugar Pine,yada,yada).

7-tooth and a courtesy assumption that someone knows their way around a chisel file...............

ahlkey

Thanks for all the great feedback. I decided to buy the 7900 Dolmar and for a long time Husky guy that is saying something. It really was a close one but the HP and weight ratio of the 7900 stock is just too impressive to not give it a chance to perform. Another key was the service capability of the local dealer.

SawTroll

Quote from: capt n cutz on January 25, 2009, 11:13:32 AM
Quote from: SawTroll on January 24, 2009, 01:37:52 PM

Have you ever tried it?  After years of running full skip, I see no reason for the full comp.

Even with a larger rim, you can't compensate for the "lost" 1/3 of cutters of a skip chain - unless the bar really is too long for the power-head.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!