iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Aunt and her Angels

Started by thecfarm, January 15, 2009, 08:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

This happened last month.My Aunt Louise is 84 years.She is still doing pretty good,driving and living alone.Snowed the day before and she felt she had to go up town to pay some bills.She waited for the plows and the sun to do it's job,melt the snow from the day before so the roads would be clear.She has a 500 foot driveway with fields on each side.The young man she has to plow her out had came all ready.Late afternoon she goes out to run her errands.She does not like to be out after dark,but things take longer than what she thought they would and she gets back to her place.It is dark and the wind is blowing hard.She has a PT Cruiser.Her 500 foot driveway is drifted in,normal for her driveway to do this.A snow fence or trees would stop this,but she does not want it done for whatever reason.She tries to make it through the snow but gets stuck in the drifts.She gets out of the car and starts to walk for the house.She had a stroke or 2 and she has a hard time walking when she gets tired or walking through drifted snow like she is.Her right leg starts to drag and she falls down in the snow.She don't remember how many times she falls.She loses her glasses and realizes she will not make it to the house.She turn around and heads back towards the car that she can no longer see.Now she in trouble.She falls some more.She does have a life line around her neck.This makes a call to the police station and they call her house to check on her.Of course she can't answer so a police officer is dispatched along with a call to her son that lives 20 minutes way.She falls again but this time is to exhausted to get up.About that time the young man that plows her out is coming home form shopping with his girlfriend.He decides to go check on her driveway.He stops and sees my Aunt car stuck in the snow and leaves to go get his truck to plow her out.His girlfriend says,"You know she could be in her car right now.We should go back to check on her."They turn around and go back and find her laying in the snow.They get her into the house,into some dry clothes,saving her life.The police would not of made it in time,nor would her son.If I was rich I would of gave her angels a chunk of change,but all I have for them in thanks and praise for being there at the exact right time.Just 15 minutes longer and I doubt she would of made it.
The odd part about this,I was outside in that mess trying to get some Christmas lights to work at just about this time.I came into the house saying a person could die out there.I was thinking if the power went out I would have no idea where the house would be.The wind was blowing real bad here.At her place it would be 3-4 times worse.I am thankful for her Angels.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

Wow...It's a good thing they were responsible enough to check her out.

It's nice to hear stories about good people when all you hear is the bad about folks  ;)

Why not just 1 pain free day?

WH_Conley

I am sure that a pat on the back is more than sufficient reward for that young man.
Bill

olyman

the c farm--if she had enough fuel in the car--she should have just hit the lifeline--and stayed in the car--glad shes ok--someone ought to explain things to her--some people in a situation like that dont always think clearly-----

Chuck White

It was a miracle.

Older people are more subject to cold and loss of strength.  No telling what might have happened if they hadn't turned around and gone back.

Your aunt and yourself have been blessed.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

scsmith42

Stories like this really help to restore your faith in the younger generation.  A nice letter to them, or perhaps an article in the local newspaper about how their actions saved a life would be a great tribute.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

timber tramp

Cfarm- Glad to hear that your Aunt is all right. Do you bake? If you do a home made pie or batch of cookies is always an appropriate thank you gift (inexpensive too). Just a thought. :)
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Warbird

Thank God they checked on her and were able to save her.

CLL

It's amazing how a Thank You card makes people feel appreciated, of course a APPLE PIE makes the Thank You card taste better :D
Too much work-not enough pay.

Tom

Charlie, from his new home in Minnesota, years ago, was telling me of the cold.  This scenario is apparently fairly common.  People can't get into their driveway and try to walk. It's possible, I guess, in some situations for them to be covered in a remote part of the yard and not found until spring.  What luck that she was found. Yes, Guardian Angels.

thecfarm

Just so you all will know I did talk to him on the phone for a half an hour. My Aunt seems to think it's his father that is doing all of the plowing and shoveling and saving her life,but it's the son that is doing all of it.I did think about a newspaper aticle but my Aunt feels pretty dumb about all that went on.She knew she did wrong as soon as she lost sight of the car.She was,noticed I said was,a tough gal,but the years have finally caught up with her.She is looking to sell her home and go into a living assistance place.This is a BIG step for her. She does need to do something.She has gone down hill a lot in the last year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gary

I'm glad your aunt is ok. Tuesday morning I found a 14 year old boy in the middle of the road after he was hit by a bus. I called 911 and stayed with him until the ambulance came. I did not see the bus hit him. So I left there without giving anyone my name. Then I read that the police wanted to talk to the person who called 911. So i contacted them otherwise no one would have known who I was. One woman called me a hero and I told her I was not a hero just a man doing what was needed.

cilley

good things happen to good people.......your aunt in my mind has given all her life.........people her of her age are very giving..........having grown up in times that they did.........it was just a natural thing to do........anyway.........could get long winded here........god bless all the "older people" and those "younger ones" that have learned from them........p.s. my dad is 92 and still going ........im 60 today.........and cant wait till im 92........the stories we can tell then........god bless you all..........alan

Thank You Sponsors!