iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice accident ( kinda a long story)

Started by okie, January 14, 2009, 11:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okie

Back about ten years ago or so my brother in law asked me to go coon hunting with him. At the time I was working on a young english hound that showed lots of promise and if it wasnt raining buckets, I was in the woods every night.

Well what made this night really miserable was that the two previous nights we had ice storms followed by a good dusting of snow earlier in the day. Had I not been working this young hound so hard I would have turned him down flat, but I didnt want to miss a chance to get my dog in the woods and if my brother in law was crazy enough to go, then so was I.

The temperature when we left out was in the low teens and there was no wind (thank God). We decided to hunt down by Ft Gibson lake in an area known as Yonkers. There used to be a school and community there before they dammed the river to make the lake, now it is all corps land and the old dirt roads (now two track roads) are still there. We figured the roads would make easy walking and on this night we were all about easy.
We cut the dogs loose and after what seemed like forever my b-i-l's dog ran a track and got treed, my dog was working a trail in the opposite direction.

Me and my b-i-l split up and I went toward my dog and he to his. While heading toward my dog he fell treed and I picked up the pace a good deal as he was quite a ways off. I stopped for a minute to listen for him and he was no longer on tree. I slowly continued down the "road" I was walking on, hoping my dog would get back on the tree. I stopped when I thought I heard something that sounded like faint bawling and I thought "crap he's blown the woods" and then I heard it again..........the sound wasnt a hound bawling in the distance, The ice I was walking on was making a moaning sound. I took another step and I was up to my neck in ice water. What I thought was one of the many little roads through this land turned out to be a creek and I was in it.

Crawling out of a hole in the ice is HARD to do. I finally got out and ran as much of the mile or so back to the truck as I could. My clothes were froze solid and I wasnt far behind. I got to the truck and started it up and got it nice and toasty inside. After I warmed up I got really tired and layed on the seat and went to sleep. My b-i-l got to the truck sometime later and found me stretched out across the seat naked. I figured he would have been surprised but he wasnt. My dog had come in to his dog and when I didnt show up my b-i-l got worried and followed my tracks in the snow to where I had fallen in and followed my tracks that cut through the woods to the truck.

My brother in law and I were talking and that story came up and I thought I'd share it with y'all. Maybe it will keep someone from making the same stupid mistake I did.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

VT

chevytaHOE5674

Ice is very deceiving, especially if there is any kind of snow on top. I've learned that spots that are flat and level with no tree's or weed's is usually ice. Been up to my waste a few times, and brrr is it cold.

Warbird

Glad you made it.  Thanks for sharing the story.  Wish I'd waited a week to read it, though...  we have to cross the Tanana River on snow machines this weekend to get to the moose hunting spot.  I am already a bit nervous about it.

Ironwood

I fell through a pond in the Adirondacks after a tiring day of ice climbing. Went in to about my waist before I realized what was happening and spread my weight out. I had on climbing/ mountaineering boots, crampons, pack , rope, lead rack, and some other stuff. There would have been no swimming, just down to see Davie Jones. After that I "post holed" up to my @#$ no matter how easy straight across the lakes it was, I went around the shore. That will get you winded in a hurry. NOT fun. There are many other ways I'd like to go before falling into an ice hole. I felt like an "icehole"  :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

okie

Thanks guys.
Warbird, I dont envy you.
Ironwood, your story sounds a bit more dangerous than mine, I hit bottom and was still breathing gasping air. You truely are lucky to be here, quick thinking on your part. I was hoping this would bring out other stories.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

isawlogs

I am glad to hear I aint the only one on here that has up to his arm pits in through the ice , Man that is cold, it was -2000 all over again once I got out and took to the snowmobile ride to the nearest stove   :o  Longest mile I ever did, probably the fastest too  :D Just htinking of this and I am going to put another block or two in the furnace ......... 

A few I dont understand are those that take a sauna and then go roll in the snow ...... ::)    Another block in the furnace   ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Went through the ice one time while playing hockey on a pond. Wet to my hat  ::) ::) :o

Had to ride my Bicycle home, up a steep hill, wearing the skates, because the laces froze before I got them untied. Same distance, about a mile, only slower than Marvel's trip.

Always started a fire before the hockey game, after that episode  ::) ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ironwood

got a visual on the laces and bike  :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!