iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carriage belting

Started by timberjackpa, January 14, 2009, 02:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjackpa

what is the best belting for carriages? I have found some leather , canvas and rubber coated canvas. I would really like to use the rubber coated canvas found at tractor supply co. made for balers. I do realize that the belts have to slip some when not pulling on the lever and that is why im unsure about the rubber coated belting. could anyone  please help?

schmism

the belts on the carriage at the historical society grounds (belt driven saw head)  are all VERY thick canvas.  (id say near on 3/16" thick)

i think i have a pic of it... ill see if i cant dig it up...
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

york

Hi,

Don`t think i would get the belting from tractor supply-these belts need to slip and not grab-on my meadows mill,they had a rubber core and the outer jacket was woven fabric....look around for a sawmill supply....Bert
Albert

sawguyver

This stuff is called friction belt around here.
If I were looking for this stuff I would try a bearing supplier. Around here they supply all kinds of manufacturing parts from "v" belts to tie rods.
Good luck.

Frickman

I assume you mean the carriage feed belts in the husk. What brand of mill are you running? If it is a Frick you can get anything you need from Fricko. If it is another brand of mill but you know the sizes you need they may be able to help you out.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

bandmiller2

Alas,most use what they can find,they all will work depending on how their adjusted.Probibly whats best is the canvas belting impregnated with rubber.The canvas is on the surface and their not usally grabby.I have seen modern rubber conveyer belt used, rubber top is kinda knobby ,but its used so the smooth back runs on the flat pulleys.Usally at old engine/steam meets theirs always someone selling belting and clipper laceing.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

TJPa,new flat belting can be quite pricey.Good used stuff is around you just have to look for it.Old tractor dealerships,old industrial buildings,this is where the good old boy network comes into play.You want a fairly stiff belt then it won't have a tendensy to creep when idle.Wide belts can be sliced to the needed width.Most old farms have flat belt hanging somewhere.Keep us posted.frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

timberjackpa

I just bought some old stuff today I got 14 foot 3inches wide that looks like new and 40ft 6inches wide that is hardly used all for 65$ that should be enough to last me awhile since 16ft is what i need to do the two inside belts   thank you guys  for the advise!! Tony

Thank You Sponsors!