iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

IMT 533

Started by IVANX71, January 14, 2009, 09:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IVANX71

I plan to buy woodmizer Lt 15 so I have to buy something to move logs around farm.

This is the IMT 533, this is an old tractor power 33 hp. Resistant ,poorly spoils and all speak only the best of him.
The question is whether the 33 hp enough power for towing logs through the forest or only for towing logs around farms. I'd like to save money so that I drive logs from the forest just do not know whether the 33 hp enough to extract logs over a steep hill's.

Excuse me on my English, English is not my stronger side

Gary_C

That's a nice looking tractor though I can't say I heard of an IMT brand before. Where are you located? I guess I don't recognize that flag on your profile.

As far as pulling logs, you should add one of those log arches behind that tractor and maybe a set of chains on the tractor for winter and it should do most anything you need done. Just watch out for sticks and brush on the underside of that tractor and know those tires are not rated for woods work. That doesn't mean you can't use them in the woods, but watch out for stumps and sticks that could poke a hole in a tire.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

pineywoods

Looks like someone's version of my old  massey ferguson 135. Hang a good set of skidding tongs on the 3 point hitch, lift the end of the log 2 or 3 inches off the ground and go. Unless you have one of them monster 50 ft long LT115's this old tractor should handle anything the LT15 will saw. If the hills are too steep, you need a logging winch on the back...A home-built set of forks on the back works pretty good also...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DanG

Yep, that IMT is a Yugoslavian version of the MF35.  IMT stands for Improved Massey Tractor.  The company no longer exists.  The tractor should perform just like the 35/135.  Woodbowl has one just like the one pictured.  I have the larger IMT, a 560, which is a 60hp tractor.  They're good machines but parts are hard to find.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

I forgot to add that one thing missing on that tractor is roll over protection, so be very careful on those hills and when pulling anything while lifting with the three point hitch.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SamB

That IMT is a nice looking tractor....it  does resemble a MF135....I've moved logs that I probably should not have moved with my MF135. With the aid of a Farmi skidder/winch I moved a thirty inch-sixteen foot red oak log up a steep embankment by chaining the front of the tractor to a tree. With a couple steel snatch blocks, some short chains and a little rigging experience you can move good sized logs with a tractor equipped with a 3 point hitch mounted skidder/winch. On level or nearly level ground I've skidded logs with just a rear blade and chain. For loading logs onto the mill a boom pole works well even if you can just lift one end of the log. For a small scale logging operation the farm tractor properly equipped can be a valuable tool just be careful and realize your limits. :)

Thank You Sponsors!