iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Cedar Chest Kit

Started by Mark M, July 24, 2003, 10:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

This is the start to a cedar chest my wife wants me to make. It will be for my daughter who will be getting married shortly after her fiancé gets back from Iraq. We are hoping and praying he gets back safe but he is in a bad spot and gets shot at most every night.

Mark

woodhaven

Hey Mark,
I can already smell the inside from here. He will be back soon. I am sure I speak for all when I say we will be praying for him and his safe return. I saw and use cedar right much to.
Richard

Tom

That cedar would go oveer big here.  Folks around-abouts like knots and streaks. :)

Norm

That's real pretty wood Mark, Patty and I will keep your future son-in-law in our thoughts and prayers for his safe return. Tell him thanks for us, we sure appreciate his bravery.

Jeff

Mark, was that a dump log?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

Now, that is a whack of silk purses.  Nice looking collection of knotty lumber.  Thank your future son-in-law for us, too.   He and all of the others are in our prayer, here.
Frank Pender

Buzz-sawyer

Nice stuff Mark...We are prayin in Illinois too!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Florida's praying too !!!   Nice Cedar.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Ditto the prayers and good wishes!

That's gonna be some kinda pretty cedar chest. 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

biziedizie

Mark cool cedar 8) I got some like it but 2' wide that I plan on making tables with.

Hope all the guys and girls get back safe.

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

2 foot wide Red Cedar  :o :o :o
  When ya goin fer that boat ride, Diz. ??? ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

solidwoods

Mark
Very nice cedar.  If you want to talk chests just write or call (I build them also).
Tell your Son-in-law to keep his head on a swivel, and allot of people are thinking about him and all the military that are deployed.

JIM
Iraq "92"
Army ret.
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Mark M

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers for Bob. I will pass them along and I am sure he will be glad to know that people appreciate what they are doing are pulling for him. I talked to him last Saturday for the first time since he left this spring. He is with the 4th Infantry out of Ft. Carson and is stationed near Balad. He said things were bad where he was at and the temp was hear 140F. He also said he was starting to get used to being shot at and and having to shoot people. I know he has good days and bad days but I think he worries a lot about not coming back and the affect that would have on all of us. It takes about 3 weeks to get mail so we never know how he is other than the few times he has got to call. About the only thing we can go is check the news to see who has been killed or injured.

About the cedar, it was a tree that was going to the dump but the tree service guy called me to see if I wanted it. I had several logs but the best was almost 12 inches and pretty straight. I have a couple more in my pile that I will try to cut this weekend. I don't have a good way to dry them other than to put them in the garage. I think I will keep them there till fall and them move them into the house this winter. By next spring they should be pretty dry.

Mark

Haytrader

Mark,

If you are talking about cedar when you said you would let it dry all winter, you have a surprise coming. Cedar isn't very high in moisture to start with and air drying for about three weeks is all it takes.Then you can plane it and make neat stuff. No kiln needed for cedar...... ;)
Best of luck to you.
Oh, the soft part works easy and the knots are really hard.
I know, I am a smart ash.

;D
Haytrader

Mark M

Dat's good to know!

I'm going to cut some more today if is isn't too hot.

Jeff

How long do you usually have to wait for the to "cool down" before its safe to saw them?  Seems like you would want to get rid of them right away before Grampa Joe found out dey was gone.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!