iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM parts order?

Started by WoodChucker, July 23, 2003, 12:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

I'm getting ready to order some stuff from WM just to have on hand if I need it, is there anything else you guys would suggest to get as a backup? Things that you know from experience that seem to be more likely to go bad, even if it's as simple as nuts and bolts. :)

Heres what I have on my list already:

Air filters, Gas filter, spark plug, belt and if they have touch up paint I'll get that too. Anything else? Thanks!

BTW, it's for an WM LT-15 and I have blades.

R.T,
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Bibbyman

Not much on an LT15 that could go wrong. Maybe and extra rope?

Wood-Mizer has a couple of pre-packaged spare parts packages for the larger mills - don't know if they have one for the LT15.  One package is basic maintenance,  another includes the maintenance plus some of the items that will need replaced later on like belts, guide rollers, motor brushes, etc.  Then they've got one that has lots of stuff,  it's set up for customers using their mill for production and want the minimum of downtime.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WoodChucker

Bibbyman, I am so glad you thought about that rope, each time I look at that thing I think about it breaking and I would have forgot to order it, duh. :)

I'll also ask about a parts package and see if they have that.

Thanks again!

R.T.  
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

sawyerkirk

Don't order your rope from WM, go to the hardware sroe and get good nylon low stretch rope. I have cut pert near amillion feet of logs on my lt25 and only replace the rope twice, and one of those time I cut it with a chainsaw!

WoodChucker

QuoteDon't order your rope from WM, go to the hardware sroe and get good nylon low stretch rope. I have cut pert near amillion feet of logs on my lt25 and only replace the rope twice, and one of those time I cut it with a chainsaw!

Ok thanks sawyerkirk , good idea!

R.T.

Kevin

A spare hat.

I take the rope off the mill and hang it up when I'm done milling.
The only problem I had with the rope is when it was getting caught on the bed bolts due to slack in the rope.
I use an adjustable hitch on it now and it stays tight longer and is a snap to tighten when it does get a little sloppy.

Bibbyman

I know I just posted under a different thread to check with Wood-Mizer for parts.  But what you are talking about are common engine maintenance parts that could be had locally.  

When we ran engines,  I had a deal made with a local small engine parts distributor to get those parts at wholesale.  I'd order in some quantity so not to bug him with a plug or filter at a time.  

Ashland Small Engine

Here is a link to an earlier post that had ideas on obtaining maintenance parts

Cheap(er) air filters?

If you got a new mill,  most everything else would be covered under warrantee.
Sawing since '94

Sven Christiansen

Mills like the LT15 are designed specifically to be easy and inexpensive to maintain.  Of course, we love your parts business, but it would probably be better for you to go to the local store.

Sven Christiansen
Wood-Mizer

WoodChucker

QuoteMills like the LT15 are designed specifically to be easy and inexpensive to maintain.  Of course, we love your parts business, but it would probably be better for you to go to the local store.

Sven Christiansen
Wood-Mizer

Sven Christiansen, I just posted on another thread about how good the customer service is at WM and now you come along and confirm my thoughts with personal service too. I've never dealt with another company that even comes close to WM, you guys are top notch. Thanks for input and your advice.

Kevin, that rope must not be as bad as it looks to R&R if you take it off that much. If you have a pic of that adjustable hitch your talking about I'd sure like to see it some time. :)

Bibbyman, thanks for the info and the links, really appreciate it!

R.T.  

Bibbyman

Yea,  they're different.  I've called in to order a part and have had the service guy say; "You know, I've taken them things apart and cleaned the contacts and put a little spring back into them and they worked great.   Have you tried that?"  Then another time I needed the little kill switch button (used on the mill that had the Briggs engine).  The service guy said, "You know,  that's just a such and such switch you can get for $1.50 down at Westlakes.  I'd be glad to send you out one but if you need it today,  you can probably find one there."  

They've even given me alternate brand names and part numbers of something I needed so I could more likely find it locally.  AND given me tips on how to replace the part that saved me a lot of time and effort.

Thanks WM Customer Service.
Sawing since '94

Tom

I think that the generic spare parts list for a mill can be determined by looking at what moves.   A roller guide rebuild kit or spare roller guide would be a good choice.  The wheels that run on the track have bearings that may sieze. Perhaps spare bearings or wheels if you have to get the whole thing.  Not having run an LT15 I don't know what would be a good list.  There isn't much on them that can't be gotten from a harddware store.

WoodChucker

Thanks Tom, I guess I'll just order the belt,air filter and roller guide kit and leave it at that. I hate break downs and it always seems to happen on the weekend and then I have to wait until monday to get parts. Plus, most of the time I have to drive 50 miles to get anything, and even then you better not need two of any one item because they will have to order the second one. lol. Gotta love small towns. :)

Anyway, thanks everyone.

R.T.  

Kevin

There are many adjustable hitches, this is a link to the Blakes Hitch ...
 Blakes Hitch link
thanks Jeff

It's tied on two separate ropes in the illustration but for your purpose you can tie the running end back on itself so that the end loop is adjustable.
Be sure to tie the figure 8 stopper knot on the end to keep it from slipping.

A tie wrap can also be used to keep the rope where you want it...

WoodChucker

Hey thanks Kevin, now I get it, thats good idea guy. Appreciate the pic.  :)

R.T.

Kevin

I have also seen WM guys use a stick, similar to the stick used on  tent ropes for adjustment.

Thank You Sponsors!