iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going moose hunting this weekend!!

Started by Warbird, January 12, 2009, 01:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

My boss gave me next week off and some buddies from church and I are going out to a homestead way out of town.  All but guaranteed to get a moose.  They want me to go, as I've been wanting to learn to hunt for a long time.  This will be my first big game.  In fact, the only thing I've killed yet is a goose.

I CAN'T WAIT!!  We are heading out toward Delta Junction.  We have to snow machine in about 40 miles from where we leave the road.  they have a nice cabin out there.  The guys I'm going with all are very experienced hunters & survivors.  It should be a great trip.

Here are some pics of their sleds in my shop.  Don't drool too much when you see the shiny new one.  the guy that bought it just picked it up a couple of days ago.  :)

Sprucegum

Shiny!! - but will it drag a moose 40 miles?  :)  :)

Good luck and good hunting

Warbird

Thanks Sprucegum.  Yes, that machine will definitely drag a moose on a sled, as far as you want to drag it.  It is a Skidoo Tundra 550 and it is a very nice machine.

Norm

Well I'd be green with envy if you hadn't said how darn cold it is up there. :D

Good luck guys.

Warbird

The cold snap is broken!  Why do you think I'm going?  ;) :D  The current forecast calls for highs in the teens from Wed thru Sat!  We'll be out hunting Sat thru Mon.

jdtuttle

Have a great time. I've been hunting since I was 11 & have had lots of great times with family & friends. Be careful though. It may be as addictive as sawing!
Good Luck,
Have a great day

thecfarm

Good luck,looking forward to pictures of the moose.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Warbird

This is close to where we are heading.  Sorry for the outrageously long link.  Hope it works.  Once it loads, make sure "satellite" is selected, then you'll probably have to zoom out a bunch.  Kinda cool to keep zooming out, just to get an idea of how out in the middle of nowhere we'll be. 

I CAN'T WAIT!  ;D

Outrageously long link

*edit*  It's also fun to "get directions" to your place.  Kinda funny.

cheyenne

Don't forget the chainsaw to cut up that mooseberger.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Warbird

I'll be taking the Stihl 270c with me but hadn't planned on using it on any moose we get.  We need to stock up the cabin with firewood.

POSSIBLE BAD NEWS:  The weather has been so warm here that there is a danger of too much overflow on the Tanana River.  Not sure if we're going to bag the trip yet or not.

WH_Conley

You can have some of this cold back 2 degrees here now. >:(
Bill

Warbird

We are still going to head out around 0930 local time.  Prolly get to the Tanana crossing around 1230 or 1300.  I've come to find out that the Tanana likely won't be a problem...  it is the gorge and other low lying areas that will pose the most danger with overflow.

fishpharmer

Quote from: Warbird on January 12, 2009, 04:40:51 PM
The cold snap is broken!  Why do you think I'm going?  ;) :D  The current forecast calls for highs in the teens from Wed thru Sat!  We'll be out hunting Sat thru Mon.

Thats a regular heat wave.  :D

In MS we call them hot days "dog days"  I reckon you could call it it "sled dog days" 8)

I don't reckon you got electricity at the hunting cabineither, how you gonna keep them killed mooses from spoiling and the buzzards gettin em? :D

We sufferin that same heat wave hear in MS now, them teens are just DanG great. ::)

Have fun and be careful.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Warbird

Thanks.  It has actually been up into the 50's in places here.  Mostly in the 40's.  It is 34 F this morning, snow is melting, and roads are super slick.  Normally, I love a chinook but the timing on this one is really bad.

Ah well.  If we can make it out there, it should be like a big moose convention what with the warm weather.

I'm having the morning coffee and packing now.  Supposed to leave in an hour and a half.  Hopefully you guys won't see me posting again until Monday night or Tuesday.  And hopefully I'll have some pics of a successful hunt to share.  ;)

Warbird

We called off the moose hunt. There was waaaay too much melt on the Tanana River. 2 groups came back while we were unloading the equipment. One of them got stuck in the overflow and both told us the creeks further in are running, and the tundra beyond is bare. So we decided it was too dangerous if not impossible and turned back. Now here's the UNBELIEVABLE part!!

We all meet back up at my house (we were in two different vehicles). One of my friend's was driving a truck pulling a 4 place snow machine trailer. They drop me off and we chat about when to try again, then they leave. My buddy in the truck took off alone and while traveling on the highway near my house, clipped a moose with the trailer!! Only the moose was hurt. It broke it's neck, an antler, and a front leg.

This is very near my house, so I drove down there.  Now here is the thing that really ticked me off... the Trooper gets there and by this time, all 4 of us from the hunting trip are standing there, still in our hunting gear, and he starts asking all these questions while the animal is flopping around in the middle of the highway! We've got 3 rifles in the back of the truck and I'm thinking about putting it down myself if this guy doesn't get to it. One of my buddies beat me to the punch by asking the Trooper if we could put it out of it's misery. He brusquely told us that we could move along and that he'd take care of the rest.

I'm going to call around on Monday and find out what the Law actually is when a moose gets crippled on a road like this. I understand the Troopers have to follow the letter of the Law but maybe I could have put it down before he even got there. I was there about 2 minutes before he was.

Anyway... this wasn't my idea of a successful hunt. Sure hope the meat is usable and goes to a needy family. Thank God my friend wasn't hurt.

What I learned...

1.  My buddy (who is a very good hunter) is *always* successful when he goes hunting.
2.  He will also use any weapon at his disposal to get a moose.  Even a trailer.  (his kung-fu is strong).
3.  Don't even think about snow machining into the Alaskan wilderness, miles from nowhere, when it has been 50+ degrees for 2 or 3 days and the wind has been blowing 40+ mph in that area.
4.  God is amazing.

stonebroke

IN NYS if you hit it you get to keep it.

Stonebroke

Warbird

Quote from: stonebroke on January 18, 2009, 02:10:11 AM
IN NYS if you hit it you get to keep it.

Stonebroke

Not here.  I believe we have a waiting list here and needy families call in to be put on the list.  Then, when a moose gets struck, they go out and salvage it.  Not sure I would have wanted the meat off of this one because of how long the Trooper let it lay there before putting it down.  I've heard that when an animal is distressed like that for a long time, it does something to the meat to make it not as good.

Corley5

Here if you hit a deer you can keep it but are now limited to so many a year as people were intentionally hitting them  ::)  Elk and moose go to a processor and are distibuted to needy families or senior citzen centers.  Most police posts have a list of needy families that will take unwanted deer.
  So what's the firearm and cartridge of choice for Alaskan moose  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

cheyenne

Now there's a brain trust. Hey mabel let's go kill a deer with the new beemer.....As Einstien said.....There is no limit to stupidity....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Norm

Several years ago while deer hunting with my brother in Missouri he cut his hand real bad while field dressing out a small buck. While we were at the emergency room getting him stitched up they brought a gal in for a car accident. The trooper interviewing her asked what happened and she proceeded to tell about how she had a deer run out in front of her and she swerved to hit it. She missed and put the car in the ditch breaking her ankle in the process. When the trooper asked why on earth would you do that she explained that her husband wasn't having any luck deer hunting and she wanted to get one for him.

stonebroke

Most times around here people get hurt trying to avoid deer. I try to aim for them because generally by the time I get there they have moved. When I tried to avoid them we always met.

Stonebroke

Warbird

Quote from: Corley5 on January 18, 2009, 01:18:53 PMSo what's the firearm and cartridge of choice for Alaskan moose  ???

My choice is a .308 with a 165 grain bullet.  Quite a few like 7mm Mags and lots like the trusty old 30-06.

Norm...  I don't know what to say about that story.  I guess the lady's heart was in the right place but still...  just, wow.

Corley5

Some people were buying junkers to deer hunt with.  An old pickup with a heavy bumper is good for several kills and if it's four wheel drive it's even better  ;) :)  Cars aren't as effective and more dangerous  ;) ;D  I have aquaintences that used to have auto deer rodeos.  One car would chase the deer out of the field and across the road where a second was waiting with its lights off to attempt a kill.  Beer was an important part of the sport  ;) :D  They only ever got one that I know of but had a lot of fun trying  :) ;)  I'm not condoning this behavior  ;)  :)  It's irresponsible, unsportsmanlike, dangerous and should never be attempted at home  :) :)  ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Along this line of running down deer, there are two brothers in WI facing some cruelty to animal charges for running down deer with their snowmobiles a week or so ago. Apparently the two killed 4 or 5, then just leaving them lay except for one that they butchered.

But bein on the highway or a road, might be harder to prove the 'cruelty' part for an arrest. I don't care for the bruised up meat from road-kill.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!