iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Filing Square Chisel Chain

Started by timber tramp, January 12, 2009, 01:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timber tramp

Anyone hand file sqare chisel chain? Picked up a couple loops of it, and have never tried to hand file it. Thought I'd give it a try. :) Bought a 3 cornered file at my local saw shop and that's as far as I've gotten.

Thanks, TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

zackman1801

i think that you are supposed to file the opposite way that you do with round files, instead of from the bottom up you file from the top down. their are alot of angles that you have to memorize to get the cutting angles right. BTW i think you can just use regular chisel chain and file it with a special file to get the square ground.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

L. Willey

i keep a goofy file with me for touchups.  i cant sharpen it as well as my grinder though.   

Dave Shepard

I have been hand filing the square chisel chain. I use a double-bevel files from Bailey's, our sponsor. I file in the same direction as round filing, but many people do it the way zackman1801 mentioned. The biggest thing I have found, whether it be round or square, is to file regularly. It's better to give the chain a couple of quick strokes on a well shaped cutter, than to try and fight one that's way out of shape Here is a thread I started on square filing.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

snowman

Square filing has it's pros and cons.Pro is it cuts faster, con is it sharpens slower.I square file for falling and round file on the landing. To make square filing really work right you need to sharpen into the tooth not with it.This leaves a clean hard tooth that stays sharper longer. In wet weather though I bring extra chains instead of sharpening in the brush.Square filing against the tooth in wet weather is like riding a motorcycle on icy roads,you can do it but..... :D

timber tramp

Thanks to all for the advice. I appreciate it. :)

buzzegray

I just got a few loops  of square chisel chain. I looked this up. I hope it helps.
http://www.madsens1.com/bnc%20filing%20cb.htm

leweee

buzzegray; Thanks for that link.  smiley_thumbsup
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

bandmiller2

You can take a square ground chisel chain and round file it,you waste a little of the cutter but end up with round ground chisel.Works the outher way too you can convert round ground chisel to square.Its a rare bird who can hand file square chisel properly its even tough to keep a good grinder adjusted right.For the average guy using square ground chain 'the pain ain't worth the gain'.As with everything your mileage may very.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

timber tramp

That's sort of my thought, I figured if I can't learn to file it then I'll just file it round. I would like to learn how though, so I'll try for awhile. That link from Masden's is pretty informative.

Thanks, TT  :)

Rocky_J

Last year I started buying rolls of the square ground chain instead of round ground chisel. Same chain just sharpened differently. Every new loop gives me another chance to practice square filing until I mess it up or else I need to sharpen an edge quickly on the job, then I just round file it. Maybe it's my imagination but it seems like a square ground chain that's been round filed is still slightly faster than the same chain that was round ground and round filed.
???

snowman

Rocky thats how I learned too, still learning i think :D. It seems to me square filed chain only cuts at it's best down to a little below half a tooth, then I round file it for the landing.Round filed chain seems to cut fine till theres no tooth at all or chain breaks, whichever comes 1st. That's 1 more positive on square filing, it cuts smoother and doesnt beat links to death, not as grabby as round filing.Theres also those long pretty ribbons of wood square filing leaves. :)

Stephen_Wiley

Sometimes the school of 'hard knocks' is the most convienent way to learn.

That said; this is one time where it helps if you learn from 'one' already accomplished in the 'art' of sqare ground filing.

First suggested thought is: Patience........Patience...........Patience, along with close observation. Be sure to wear eye protection and clean safety glasses.

Make certain to start with your 'worst' cutter and than cut all others to same length.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

bandmiller2

Square chisel is quite rare here in the northeast,even most dealers don't know what your talking about.I'am a sharp freak must have a keen edge on everything.Bought a Silvey square grinder even that has a learning curve.If the logs are less than pristene I use round ground or old reliable chipper.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

timber tramp

Found this while poking around Madsen's

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc%20teeth%20types.htm.

Turns out Rocky_J is right about round filed square chain cutting a bit faster. :)

snowman

ErikC

I like square ground on the bigger wood. It cuts faster and smoother, but it definitely dulls quicker in gritty condition. For firewood and that sort of cutting I have a better time with round. If you fool around with the adjustments you can set a bar mount file jig to use the square file until you get the concept down. I think square grind was never intended for filing other than a quick touch up. Its more of a production chain. Most of the guys around here who use it have a grinder as well, and take a few loops out to the woods. You don't need to sharpen all the teeth the same as the worst, just make sure you take all the rakers down to the same depth as relates to it's cutter. Makes the chain last a little longer if you really whack a couple teeth on a rock. For most the round is plenty fast on chisel chain, the thing I see really slowing down cutting is semi-chisel chain, bumper links, etc. Get rid of that suff and use a chisel tooth, round or square, and you'll be way better off.

PS   We have square ground chain all over in the Northwest, It is the most common by far in our woods.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Frickman

I tried the square ground chain about fifteen years ago. I got pretty good at sharpening it too, if I found the right log to lean the saw against and it was a nice day to kneel on the ground to sharpen it. That was fine in the summer, not so good in the winter. I went back to round filing my chains. It is more convenient for me to round file on the tailgate or on a stump than to square file.

If I had a grinder set up for it square ground chain would be the way to go. Just take three or four loops with you and sharpen everything back at home.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Dave Shepard

I prefer to file the same direction as round ground, but am in the minority. Over the saw on the tailgate is preferred, but I can sit on a log too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!