iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

just another dumb question.

Started by semologger, January 11, 2009, 08:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

I have been planting a few trees around the house here. Digging them up and buying a few. Today I dug  up a few SYpine and last year i bought a bunch of White Pine. I am going to buy some more pretty soon of different species of hard wood and pine. I am cutting a job of lobboly its around 18 years old and if i find some of the smaller trees and push them over  with my skidder while the ground is soft. Can i take them home and trans plant them. Im not alking about the big trees just the smaller ones. I will do my best not to damage the trees i will take my grapple and loosen the ground up around the base. Just a question. :-\

Left Coast Chris

I did that with some Western Red Cedar but I only went for the small seedlings around 1' tall.  The ones much bigger and the tap root goes really deep.  They all grew really well.  I did transport them in wet sacks to keep the roots damp.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

semologger

The ones i am talking about will be 20 foot tall or so.

SwampDonkey

I saw someone try with red pine, most died and the ones that lived lost their tops from drought damage. Of course he wasn't all that gentle with a tractor bucket. ::) Personally, I wouldn't try transplanting anything taller than 3 feet. I planted 20 foot black ash over 20 years ago, must be closer to 25, and they have never grown a bit. Seems so anyway, I'll bet they have 30 rings to the inch, open grown.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

semo
What is the landowner gonna say about taking his growing stock?  If it is okay then give it a try.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

semologger

He lives in texas and the jobs in AR. ;) Also i am doing a thinning he dont care anyways as long as the trees are removed. I just am going to try a few.  I wish i would of thought about it here awhile back when the track hoe was in there knocking down 9 acres of food plots. I dont think any of the trees he knocked down will be any good anymore. Its been  a couple of months ago. Dang Y didnt i think of it then.

isawlogs

Try it ... only a little time to loose if it dont work out .     pull_smiley      cut_tree        cut_tree
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

I would wrap up the top with something.Can't believe the whipping they take going down the road.Does not do the trees any good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dale Hatfield

Had a guy call me  to figger out whats wrong with all his dogwood trees.
I get their he leads me to the trees.  It pays to be a person that asks good questions on the phone.
Im looking at the trees bigger than container stock. Ask the source of trees where did ya buy them.  Oh buy Id never do that. I said oh your buying my time now.
Many questions later Fellow was chaining around the  base of the tree. Pulling them out with the tractor. Then planting them in the full sun. Chain damage was hidden by an over deep mulch pile.

Dig and dig, dig some more get all the roots you can. The only large stem tree I have ever got to take was Red maple. Haul them on the flatbed. Net tarp the tops
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

maestro

What Dale Hatfield said:  dig, dig and dig. 
Don't pull/push them as you'll do more damage to the roots than can be fixed.  Don't pull, lift or move by the trunk...you've got to haul by the root ball.  Go old school and get some burlap to wrap the balls in and make sure you cover them when you drive else the wind whipping through can destroy the leaves and dry out the tree. 
Look at it this way, the root ball full of soil is going to be heavy but only holding on to the tree by roots.  If you don't support the root ball, it can tear itself off the trunk and you just wasted a lot of your time.
For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

semologger

Well the ice strorm whipped the crap out of the trees in the job i am cutting most are already uprooted. I dont think i would be able to find a tree thats not already damaged. I am going to look around at some that are uprooted and see if i can find a few that i can use.

Thank You Sponsors!