iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacement gas can vent cap?

Started by DR_Buck, January 10, 2009, 03:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I have a number of 5 and 6 gallon plastic gas cans that are in very good shape except that the small yellow vent cap is missing.   Without the cap gas splashes out while transporting the cans and makes a mess.   I've tried Goggle to find replacement vents or vent caps without any luck.   Does anyone have an idea if and where I might find such a thing?    Maybe I'm searching the wrong terms?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Tom

Sometimes the answer is no further than our pocket.  Here are a couple of suggestions.

Sharpen your pocket knife and whittle a stick to shove into the hole.   If the hole is too small drill it out a little.

Drill the hole out to match the diameter of a small machine bolt.  If it has a flat head, you can solder a penny or something on top for a handle.

Stick the bolt into the hole and screw it in using the penny handle as you would a thumb screw.

If you want to be fancy, you can drill a hole into the penny and affix a little chain that you can attach to the jug somewhere and not lose the bolt.

Gary_C

I have the same problem with one of my 5 gal jugs. The only thing I found to do was buy a new spout with one of those tubes that lets the air back in thru the spout while filling. Then I just plugged the vent.

Another thing about those gas jugs you carry in your pickup. The DOT requires them to be secured with a bunge strap or some other device. Also if they stop you and ask if you are carying any hazardous material and you do not disclose that can of either, you can be cited for carying Haz Mat material without a permit or endorsement on your license.  >:(

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tom

Gary,
I that disclosure if you have a CDL?  With a regular driver's license you don't need ot disclose anything and only need a cdl or Hazmat endorsement if you have a CDL and are carrying more than 300 gallons of fuel.  Least that's what I was told. 

When they get you to the spot that they make you get a CDL then you become libel for the entire world's problems.

stonebroke

I was told by NYS DOT that if you had 1/2 gal  you had to have all that stuff. They said they just don't enforce it but they could.

Stonebroke

Paul_H

Dave,

what is the make of the jugs? I have two different styles but the vent cap should be the same.I can still get mine from the saw shop and even the hardware store(Home Hardware) as far as I know.
I'm heading to town in a few minutes so I'll lett you know when I get back.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Gary_C

Tom,
I believe those rules are for anyone driving a Commercial Motor Vehicle and there are so many definitions and exceptions that I am not going to say what it does or does not cover. I think that if you are found by their rules to be not complying with the Haz Mat rules, you are deemed to be carying Haz Matls and can be cited for violation of the rules. So I can't say for sure.

The rules that you have to follow for CMV"s is you can carry approved containers of gas in sizes of no more than 8 gallons, but they have to be secured, ie. a bunge cord or contained in a rack so they cannot move. This has been a big issue with the landscape people and their trailers. Most have now constructed racks for their gas cans. I don't think you can carry any containers of gas that are more than 8 gallons unless it is a DOT approved, permanently mounted and follow many other rules. For diesel fuel, you can carry containers of up to 119 gallons in approved tanks. There does not seem to be a limit on the number of containers and sometimes I carry two 100 gallon diesel tanks and that is OK.

The other sneaky rule the DOT has is about things like a can of either. It, along with gas and some other aerosols are considered "materials of trade" and you are allowed to carry small quantities, but you must disclose those quantities when stopped if you are asked. That's where if you do not disclose and they find even one can of either under your seat, you are considered to be carrying Haz Matl with out a license.  >:(

okmulch

I know around here in Oklahoma it is hard to find if not impossible to find the cans with a small cap in the back for air flow. The new style is made in Miami Ok and they take forever to empty. I like the old design better.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

ErikC

In CA we are way ahead of you all on gas cans that don't pour >:(
I have used a woodscrew in the vent hole to stop sloshing. I brazed a piece of stock about 1/4 by 1" on the head so no screwdriver. It seems to fit right in, and is easy to remove. A few twists does the job for me. I have drilled a small hole in the back of my "improved CARB" cans and put the screw in them. Right at the base of the handle where there's a little extra strength. Now they work better. You don't have to take the screw clear out, just back it out enough so the can breathes..
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

sawguy21

Erik, the pollution police are gonna nail ya.  :D
The most popular cans are made by Wedco or Scepter, the caps and spouts do not interchange. The parts may be no longer available to make us discard the superior but politically incorrect cans. >:(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ErikC

The difference in spout threads is pretty irritating. I got all I could out of my old ones before having to modernize. The good news is most of us who use cans a lot are handy enough to find a way around the nonsense... :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Rocky_J

We were just discussing gas cans on the treehouse forum yesterday.  :)
I used the old Rubbermaid cans for years, semi rectangular with the base wider than the top. They were super stable, the spouts lasted a long time without breaking and they were thick enough to stand up to abuse in the back of the truck.

Then the cheapo 'ventless' gas cans came out but they were so thin that you were afraid they'd break if you picked them up by the handle when they were full. And I haven't found one yet with a spout that will pour without spilling and last more than 3 months without cracking. And all of a sudden I couldn't find replacement caps or spouts for my favorite old Rubbermaid cans.

Then one day a buddy of mine gave me a 'no-spill' can. He had been using them for over a year and loved them. I was sceptical but agreed to try it, even though I wasn't willing to give up my Rubbermaid just yet. Well, after about a week I was sold. Since then I've bought 4 more and given 3 to friends in the business. All the big saw shops and online dealers are selling them now. In fact you can click on the Bailey's link over there on the left and type 'no spill' in the search box and you will find it. 1, 2.5 and 5 gallon sizes. The push button spout is the first spout I've ever used that is actually designed to pour gas without spilling! They are thick enough to withstand abuse and the spout/cap unscrews giving you a huge opening for filling it at the gas pump.

Sorry for sounding like a salesman, but this gas can will make the new laws actually workable. In fact I'd use this can even without the EPA laws. It's the best gas can I've ever used, hands down.

stonebroke

That is the only no spill can that I have found that works! most of them don't

Stonebroke

beenthere

I've switched to the No-spill ones mentioned too. In fact, gave my sons and son-in-laws one for a Christmas present. (yeah...big spender  :) ). And from Bailey's too.

I particularly like the 5 gal for the diesel fuel as it transports in the car very well...no spill.

The others were getting to be pretty pathetic over the years, with all the problems as mentioned.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

I've got a collection of Chilton cans in various shapes, and sizes and always pick up good ones at auctions and other sales if I see them and the price is right  :)  Chilton was bought out by the company that makes Blitz cans.  Maybe Blitz cans aren't made anymore either  ??? but they were inferior to the Chiltons.  I lucked out when Quality Farm and Fleet went under and bought a bunch of replacement spouts and vent caps for my cans.  I've still got several pairs left  8)  Those spill proof cans look pretty good.  Lots better than the metal safety cans with the spring loaded caps.  I've spilled more fuel trying to pour out them  ::) but they are required by OSHA on some jobs.  State agencies in Mi are required to use them. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Norm

I too switched over to the no-spill gas cans for my pre-mixed a couple of years ago. I think I save as much gas as I used to buy from not spilling it all over. :D

Ironwood

I use the military jerry cans, must have 30 of them, w/ 10 spouts. I grab them at every turn.  I also have some spring loaded styles. I heard early about the law changing and stocked up. There are some "towing" catalogs w/ jerry can supplies. I am resisting the new "improved" style w/ all, perhaps unwisely, but I like what I have.
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Don_Papenburg

Most of my jerry cans are from the Quartermaster corp one from the USMC.  I bought screwin cap/spouts for them .  Acouple have bottom seam leaks from sliding them on the stepplate in the truck bed.  Mostly I use a propane bottle now .  I put wheels on it from a weedmower. Then i welded a fitting for a 1 1/2" ball valve and air chuck.   I fill it almost full then pump it up with about 60# air . I can then wheel it to a thirsty machine and fill it up.  I also put a loop on top so I can move it with the loader.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Gary_C

Lee is right, you are compressing oxygen into a fuel tank. Any little spark or overheating as in seting in the sun too long could take out a whole neighborhood.

Ironwood

Don, What kind of nozzle do you use to hold back the pressure? Is the ball valve the final nozzle? and there must be some standard rubber hose? interesting idea. I have some "pressurizeable" stainless containers here, one is a soda pop syrup one (from a Pepsi co.) and the other is from a mobile eyewash station (bigger, and single walled) . I use them to spray diluted/ thinned oil on equipment to prevent rusting. Your idea seems the same, pressurize and dispense, just w/ out the sprayer tip.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

VT

DR_Buck
I was in Canadian Tire and in there fuel can section i saw wedgco and septer SP* kits called maxi kits,7-8 $ for all the bits and stuff..

I looked just because of this thread , and to see if i could source it out.
VT

fishindude644

Quote from: Corley5 on January 11, 2009, 07:39:06 AM
I've got a collection of Chilton cans in various shapes, and sizes and always pick up good ones at auctions and other sales if I see them and the price is right  :)  Chilton was bought out by the company that makes Blitz cans.  Maybe Blitz cans aren't made anymore either  ??? but they were inferior to the Chiltons.  I lucked out when Quality Farm and Fleet went under and bought a bunch of replacement spouts and vent caps for my cans.  I've still got several pairs left  8)  Those spill proof cans look pretty good.  Lots better than the metal safety cans with the spring loaded caps.  I've spilled more fuel trying to pour out them  ::) but they are required by OSHA on some jobs.  State agencies in Mi are required to use them. 

Would you ever consider  parting  with  1 or 2 of the spouts?    help_me

ely

when the small vent cap breaks on my jugs i just put in a tubeless tire valve stem. remove the core and screw on a good cap. when you need a vent just unscrew the valve cap.

and furthermore when the small yellow cap on the pour spout gets lost i just put one of my empty mix bottles on the top, bad thing is it will condense moisture inside the bottle and get inside the gas jug when you remove it to pour gas out.
i get by this by poking a small hole in the underside of the neck of the small oil mixture bottle, it either lets the moisture escape or it does not allow it to condensate anymore, not certain which.

Chuck White

I have 3 of the gas cans (jugs) with the small flip open vent cap.

2 of them have broken retainer straps.

I took the vent caps over to the bench and got a nail clamped in the vice grips and heated it red-hot with the torch and made a small hole through the tab on the cap.

Then I took a small 6 inch zip tie and put it through the hole and just fastened it, then took another zip tie and put it through the first one and around the handle of the gas can.

Looks a little funny, but hey, it works and I still have the vent caps!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!