iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Now NZ is getting tornadoes

Started by Ianab, May 03, 2011, 01:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4956336/Tornado-strikes-Auckland-leaves-trail-of-destruction

Not on the same scale as has been hitting the US, but one, maybe 2 killed. Only an F2 but it went through a shopping centre.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom

Reading the article and comments, it doesn't sound like tornadoes are anything new to these folks.   The problem is that that they are so devastating and seem to come out of nowhere.  Even the experienced are thrown into a state of panic and confusion.

timerover51

Quote from: Ianab on May 03, 2011, 01:24:31 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4956336/Tornado-strikes-Auckland-leaves-trail-of-destruction

Not on the same scale as has been hitting the US, but one, maybe 2 killed. Only an F2 but it went through a shopping centre.

Ian

Ian, having lived all of my life, except for my Army time, in an area subject to tornadoes, northeastern Illinois and college time in western Illinois, a tornado can be deadly no matter what the size.  We have been very near missed once, when one came through at night, picked up my kids playset in the back yard, and dropped it upside down 100 feet away in the neighbors yard, then bounced about a half mile, took out a garage, without damaging the nearby house at all, and then totally removed the roof of an apartment complex about a two miles from the garage that had been ripped to pieces.  Only the fact that it kept bouncing into the air kept it from being very deadly.  The whole tornado lasted less than 5 minutes, and developed right after the Doppler radar sweep of my area, so it never appeared on radar.  The weather people were stunned that one could develop, do a fair amount of damage, and then dissipate in that short a period of time.  They figure it was an F1, but my area was very lucky that night.

A few years later, we had another tornado warning, right in the middle of the dress rehearsal for the local ice arenas Spring Ice Show, which both of my children were in.  Would you believe that one of the themes that year was "Wizard of Oz", and the tornado warning came in right after that segment?  There were some very frightened kids and parents that night, but the tornado went south of us without touching down until it was over Lake Michigan, and then became a water spout.

Thank You Sponsors!