iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time to Sacrifice Another Virgin

Started by Fla._Deadheader, January 08, 2009, 04:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Volcano Gods are needing a sacrificial offering. Had a NEAT Tremor a little bit ago, where I was trying to scribe a line on a door frame, to locate the hinge dado. Wall kept moving away from me  :o :o :o :o

Buildings in San Jose are cracked, houses are at the bottom of hills and mountains, roads have openings in them. It's about to get Plumm serious  ::) ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WH_Conley

Maybe you better leave Harold. I doubt if you are a suitable alternative. :D
Bill

Tom

In case I don't see you again, it's been good knowing you.  One last effort of mortality to try.  Put a baseball in your pocket and when that volcano blows you up into the sky, see how far you can thow it.  :)

Tom Sawyer

You'll be hard pressed to find a virgin around here ;D :D

Tom

Yeah, I heard that Canada was into that wild life style.  :D

Fla._Deadheader

The news is flooded with damage scenes. Some kinda serious, some so-so, some, just a mess to clean up. A few reports of kids in their rooms being smooshed.  ::) ::)
Some places, no lights, no water. People running out into the streets.  ::) ???

I believe there are very few virgins left here, also  ::) ::) ;D ;D

Tom, it's not from the Volcano here, it's from around Poas Volcano, in the general area of the Aeropuerto.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom Sawyer

Geez you guys.  I meant around here as in the Forestry Forum.  Us Canadians are as tame as they come :D :D

isawlogs

Harrold , would " a middle-aged school marm    fit the bill for the volcano god  ???

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Marcel, if you show up at the pig roast this year, She just might have to kick yer dunkey.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

I only ever volunteered two for a job on here ... one started procrastinating as he was reading my volunteering him .. the other wants to kick my derrière  :-\   I got to rethink my volunteers more .  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Paul_H

:D :D Stop,arrêt,you're killing me!
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

On a more somber note, seems a Hotel has Tourists dead and missing. Many places cut off from communication due to roads being out.

Lots of houses here, have minimal construction standards. Concrete materials are not as strong as you would expect. Shanty Town construction is common, here.  ::) ::)

Right now, watching a large river, flooded with Forest debris and mud. It's gonna get ugly, once daylight gets here, tomorrow.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

Harrold , I am sadden to hear that there is lost of life and some more missing ... terrible news ...  :-\ :'(

Hoping you and yours are on safe ground .

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Marcel. A LOT of housing built "Stuck-in" the sides of hills. Not much for solid footing. Solid rock mountains are not real common, here. Mostly just dirt fr54om years of volcanic eruptions. We have layers of "Grit", grey colored very coarse sand, as we dig here. Sandy loam type mountains and hills. LOTS of rain on the Northern Caribbean side here. Saturated sandy terrain and shaky tremors, make a bad combination.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Paul_H

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 08, 2009, 08:28:52 PM

Right now, watching a large river, flooded with Forest debris and mud.

is that related to the earthquake or is it unrelated?Does the river run from the epicenter towards you?
I just saw on the news that two young boys were killed by a landslide :-\
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

We have an outstanding view. Our place sits atop a large hill, that is situated within other large hills. We don't have steep cuts in the hillsides, as in other areas. That's how roads and housing is built, scrape a flat spot and build a house or road. Some places can have a "cliff" above them, several feet to 100 feet high.

That is probably the scenario with the 2 you heard about, Paul. Landslides take out houses, or, cover them over.

There was a helicopter touring the fault line, showing trees down, as the ground slid away, like Mt. St. Helens, downed timber, on a tiny scale .

We are on the edge of the dry season, right now, so, it COULD rain, and that would be disastrous. IF it stays dry for a few days, it will allow rescue teams to try to reach areas isolated, from the rest of the area.
   First, it is ridiculed;

zopi

Seems to me a waste of perfectly good virgins....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

isawlogs

Quote from: zopi on January 09, 2009, 08:28:40 AM
Seems to me a waste of perfectly good virgins....

My thoughts too .. !!!!   ::) :D

Marcel

crtreedude

They felt it here, I didn't. What else is new. I never feel them. I am sure there is some reason, but I did here the gates rattling. Amy of course said the normal "Didn't you feel that!!!????"

Sigh, I must be comfortably numb.

No damage out here - and probably no virgins either. Bad time to have one, this time of year the land is so soaked that when you walk on the ground, it leaves puddles. Doesn't take much to break loose.

Never mind the fact that way too many very steep slopes are totally devoid of trees, and there isn't much rock in a lot of places. Just a matter of time before it all comes lose.

The building codes are very, very good here - but it doesn't deal with older construction, of course, and those who don't bother to follow the codes.

But, if built right, you can pick up a house with a crane.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

metalspinner

That is terrible news.  News that I'm surprised we don't hear more of from there. :(  As visitors, we were shocked at the structures so many people called home.

Poas Volcano was the most beautiful thing we experienced on our trip down to CR.  It's a large caldera volcano filled with water.  I sure hope that thing doesn't spring a leak. :o

One of our tour guides mentioned that all churches in CR have their doors facing west, I think. (Help me remember, Harold)  But the large church at Mt. Arenal is the only one that does not because west runs you right into the volcano.  In case of eruption, they did not want the congregation rushing toward the hot lava. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sawdust

I thought we cancelled Christmas in Canada, No one in Ottawa could find Three wise men or a Virgin.  :D :D

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

OneWithWood

Harold and Fred, I thought about you when I saw the news.

Sure am glad to hear from both of you and that you and yours are safe.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

crtreedude

Quote from: OneWithWood on January 09, 2009, 11:38:17 AM
Harold and Fred, I thought about you when I saw the news.

Sure am glad to hear from both of you and that you and yours are safe.  :)

I appreciate that. I assume it wasn't though that you felt I might be a virgin, since we have been married for more than 28 years and have two kids...  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

MS, being as how I don't frequent churches, I really have no way to verify what you wrote.

You also remember the steep slopes of the hills, where the road crews just cut back into the bank, and, whatever fell down they carted away. I have seen massive boulders blocking most of the Pan Am highway, down below Cartago about 30 miles. They don't move them all the time, just try to scrape away a little flat area, and shove them off the road enough to allow 1 lane to travel.  ::) ::) Clean them up later.

It DID rain pretty good last night, here. Hope it didn't cause more slides. There are whole houses buried, and the Hotel has 12 or more dead or missing. ???
  OWW, thanks for the concern. We are on top of a hill, pretty flat area. No chance of slides here, unless we get a big crack opening up ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom Sawyer

Glad to hear you guys are safe.  Apparently 2 Canadians are among the missing.

Thank You Sponsors!