iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle mill ear protection

Started by bandmiller2, January 08, 2009, 02:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Do you circular sawyers wear ear protection?? Not you big time operators in the climate  controlled cabs,but the poor muff out standing beside the saw.I would not think of sawing without eye protection but ear, I seldom do. Swing millers and push band millers working close to the engine should.Electric bandmills probibly no need,but what about the diesel bandmill where you stand away and operate from a remote podium?I'am kinda hard of hearing now ear muffs on I might fall asleep.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Brad_S.

Even with the remote mill, the carriage does spend a good amount of time near you. I started wearing ear protection too late and now have a constant ringing in my ears. I would absolutely suggest protection with any mill. I wear the ones with the radio in them, it keeps me from going insane from the drone of the engine. There was a debate here in the past about listening to music while you saw. One of those water vs. diesel debates that will never be resolved.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

woody1

I always wear ear protection. My friend, who has worked sawmilling all his life, will not. Says he wants to hear whats going on. "Safety's free..use it !" smiley_operator smiley_operator
Woody
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

beenthere

I wear ear protection because the extra noise bothers my ears.
I think it is a myth that has been perpetuated on us (among a lot of others) that being around noise causes poor hearing.

I think poor hearing comes with age...and it is earlier for some than others. Same as eyesight...

So to me...ear protection is for comfort only.

I've seen people with hearing aids who never were around loud noises like hammers, engines, etc. and others that have excellent hearing that were always around loud noises.

So, to me, it's a myth...but gives the safety gurus something to push.  ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stonebroke

L:oud noise exposure does cause hearing loss. When I was around 30 years old I took a hearing test, The doctor said "I thought you were a farmer" I said yes i was. He said you must wear hearing protection. Yup. He said by thirty most farmers only have 80% in the left ear,  the one  with most exposure to the muffler.   Maybe modern tractors with cabs are different.

Stonebroke

backwoods sawyer

I worked in the big mill for many years and wore hearing protection from the time I entered until I left. Now I wear hearing protection when in the shop making noise, but not when running the mill. I like to hear the motor, the saw and the rest of the mill. The noise levels are not very high as long as the mill is not inside a structure. The exhaust is well above head high with the turbo and spark arrestor in the muffler, allowing the sound waves to dissipate away from you.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

logwalker

Once your ears adjust to the muffs or plugs then you can actually hear better. Just my opinion. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Ron Wenrich

I've always have worn hearing protection.  I use the over the ear kind.  I use it even to mow the grass, and while inside the climate controlled booth.  You can hear all types of things with them on.

A friend of mine worked in mining.  He never wore hearing protection.  He went for a hearing test where he sat in a booth and they gave him the test.  As the test started, he was to raise his hand to tell them when he heard a sound.  They heard the sound outside the booth before he heard it inside.  Loud noises kill the hearing.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 08, 2009, 02:50:14 PM
Do you circular sawyers wear ear protection?? Not you big time operators in the climate  controlled cabs,

Huh?

;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

peterduncan

We always wear hearing muffs with earplugs connected to a walkie talkie so we can communicate with each other. I can still hear the motors and know when something is not working right. Those who don't where hearing protection are bothe deaf and dumb.

bandmiller2

Just pullen your tail Jeff,do they reccomend wearing ear protection in the cab too??Frank C.

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

Jeff

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 09, 2009, 06:41:52 AM
Just pullen your tail Jeff,do they reccomend wearing ear protection in da cab too??Frank C.

Absolutely. Its pretty noisy in those cabs, but not near as noisy as it is outside of one. The point of that is, that sometimes you are in and out of that cab and its just smart to wear ear protection. I have some noise related hearing lose from my early, uninformed, young, smartass years in a mill, so if it can happen to me in one of those climate controlled cabs, it certainly will happen to you guys running stick mills.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Woodchuck53

backwoods sawyer just an observation, but that turbo spinning is doing a lot of high freq. damage. I've been around tractors and large gas compressors all my life and only with in the last 8 years started wearing ear protection. Yep the constant ringing wil drive you nuts. Some can't / won't but any and all around me will or they can not play with my toys. Take care of them. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Mooseherder

How about loud Music ??? If so, I'm in big trouble cause my Cars have been Rockin' for over 30 years. ;D 
Even to this day, if it is bought without a good sound system, one will be going in shortly.  My rear View Mirror in my Impala shakes. :D

Meadows Miller

Gday

I where a good sett of Peltor pros  ;D and ive had this pair for about 5 years  ;) ;D I can hear alot better with them on  ;) things like how the saw, motor and mill are running as it filters out the high range/pich noises so i can hear the Music alot clearer  8) 8) ;) :D ;D
When I was younger when i first started sawing i use to not whare earmuffs  But amount of sawyers i know with mid range hearing loss between 14 and 18 converted me to useing them all the time as you either had to talk quietly or be yealling at them ::) ::) ::)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Thanks for your comments guys,I think I'll start wearing ear protection even if its just those little foam bung plugs.Frank C.

ladylake

I aways wear hearing protection around the mill and shop and for sure in the house when the wife is talking.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ron Wenrich

She doesn't read the forum, does she?   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ladylake

I told her before I posted, she just laughed.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

VT

http://www.protectear.com/

Both of theses are for noise and speech with folks ..
No radio Speaker /Mic setup in these

Dog has eaten the other singles on the left

I have used these since the Eighty's and carry a set with me at all times. 
Every 5 years i go in to get new molds taken and they can send me new ones anywhere i am..

I even use these at party's  that play funky loud so-called music.

I wanted to post the Catalog in PDF i have , but cant figure that out. Great little book.

OK Kewl , that worked..
Some i have are full blocks , used in real noisy areas that no one talks or needs to and i never use these type  flying or in subs , others have a mic in one ear and speaker in other, used in mills to talk to another maintenance worker // Millwright //AME or whoever has the same setup or radio and freq.

My wife has a set called sleepers , Says sawing logs happens inside also..

VT

Dave Shepard

I wear my earmuffs doing almost everything. Running anything with a motor, including the electric bandmill. The electric mill still has a high-pitched whine I find very unpleasant. I also use them doing carpentry work around the powersaws and nailers. I find I can hear what the equipment is doing a little better if I haven't been blasted by loud noises all day. Hearing fatigue is a very serious concern when working around equipment all day, it really adds to how tired you are at days end. I'm going to get a pair of ear muffs that work as hearing amplifiers, but shut off around loud noises. This way I can communicate with co-workers, but they will still provide protection, like when using an air nailer.

I was in a restaurant a couple of days ago, and it was so noisy I couldn't here someone talking to me on the other side of the table. The sound of so many people taking is actually painful. I was facing into a corner, so I tried a little experiment. I pulled up the hood on my sweatshirt, and it blocked a lot of the noise, and allowed me to hear people across the table. I was getting some funny looks, but to heck with them if they can't be quiet. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

VT

Dave Shepard , Thats why i carry and use mine in a restaurant .
It's funny folks sometimes think Im deaf , and have Know-Idea..

Is there away of uploading a PDF file ?

Neat newtons cradle  .
VT

Firebass

Regrettably I've played fairly loud RR for years without hearing protection mostly because I can't hear certain notes with ear plugs in.  Around the mill I enjoy the sound of a sharp blade singing through a log but I always wear muffs.  Blocks out the high decibels that cause damage to your ears.  :-\ Figure that one out....

Firebass

Meadows Miller

Gday

Its those dang loud n sudden noises that do the bloddy damage I gett dull ringing in the ear sometimes  ::) but luckly not verry often tho maby once or twice a year for a spell It makes me think ive allready done some dammage  when i was youngndumb :o ::)

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!