iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulp Prices

Started by TexasTimbers, January 07, 2009, 08:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Many of the ranchers in my area are pulping their timber for $5!  :o

I am watching load after load of "pulp" going past my place and most of the loads are sawlogs. They load pulp trees all on one and sawlog worthy trees on another. They aren't bucking them in the field though.

They aren't pulping those sawlogs are they? There's a mill in DeKalb that will buy those sawlogs and that's got to be where they are going. I haven't dropped in to nose around on any of the sites yet but am going to.

What are pulp prices in y'alls areas?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

CLL

Don't know about Texas, but in Missouri, cedar pulp is $5-10 on the stump. Of course you always get people that swear they pay twice that, but their not cutting,just talkin, same people that say they pay 60 cents for saw logs.
Too much work-not enough pay.

TexasTimbers

On this track right down the road they are taking everything, including walnut. Ash, White and red Oak, and on one track I know of but haven't seen they are taking the boxelder off the creek. I know about that because the guy called and asked if I wanted the boxelders. I offered $20 ton if they were bucked and set aside. Said he'd talk to his logger.

Ron Wenrich

We've never had much of a pulp market.  More of ours would be going to firewood.

There are lots of reasons for cutting, but market conditions isn't one of them, right now.  It seems that someone is strapped for cash. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

I'm assuming the $5/ton is stumpage? If I had a plantation that needs an intermediate thinning I could see that as being reasonable, because wood would be 6-8 inches and I'd want a good job done and not scun up and high graded. But, if it's clear cutting $5 don't even come close, I'm assuming it's not all pulp quality. I agree with Ron, someone is starving and is in liquidation mode. No harvest buffers on creeks in Texas? Just curious. There is suppose to be here, but doesn't seem to be enforced in some areas.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 08, 2009, 07:38:48 AMNo harvest buffers on creeks in Texas? Just curious.

I don't know what a harvest buffer is. Sounds like a regulation.

But on the strapped for cash theory. The one rancher who's tract that is down my road about a half mile is not strapped for cash. I am not his accountant, but out of everyone on my road, except the few actual time clock-punchers who have real jobs, I am probably the low guy on the financial totem pole, and we aren't hurting.

Surely not enough to sell quality hardwood saw logs for $5 a ton essentially give away good timber on a large scale.  This same rancher ~ mostly they are ranchers here in my immediate area although I use the term farmer too liberally/out of context ~ allow me to log thier timber on the limited small scale that I do.

The other guy who called me, he and his wife are both teachers at Bonham HS. I don't know there financial situation but they never struck me as bad money managers. They do have a lot of acerage there though in excess of 100 acres so maybe they need help on the property taxes. On the other hand I know he has it farmed so those shouldn't be too bad either.

The puplers and loggers moved in here over this past year because there is a huge lake going in ~ Lake Ralph Hall, named after our illustrious Democrat/Republican (he was demo and switched to repub during the repub revolution ::) ) but these tracts do not fall anywhere near the land getting lost to the lake.

Nope. I don't get it. There's too many people doing it for me to think they are all in the poor house. This pulper must be a door-knocker with a silver tongue. I guess the lure of several thousand tons @ $5 a ton is too much for even "ol Jack the rancher to pass up.

SwampDonkey

From the outside looking in, appearances can be deceiving. I've learned people can't be judged that way. The poorest looking often have the most in the bank. And many I've seen bragging have been left with their tail between their cheeks.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

Oh yes I know that. I tried to give the sense I am aware of that in how I said it. But going on what I have to go on, I am saying I don't think that is the case.

But you're right it could be even though I don't think so. I have found that, surprisingly, just because I think something is so, reality will not cooperate with the way I think the world ought to be, or the way I think something is. :D

Gary_C

Quote from: TexasTimbers on January 08, 2009, 10:28:04 AM
Oh yes I know that. I tried to give the sense I am aware of that in how I said it. But going on what I have to go on, I am saying I don't think that is the case.

But you're right it could be even though I don't think so. I have found that, surprisingly, just because I think something is so, reality will not cooperate with the way I think the world ought to be, or the way I think something is. :D

Yup, I know that too.   ??? ???

:D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

pineywoods

$5 a ton, don't I wish...I just sold some for 50 cents a ton....took out all the small pin oak and sweetgum, left the pine and sawlog sized hardwood. Did a nice job of cleanning up the place, but I still haven't been paid  >:(
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

TexasTimbers

yikes. piney load your trees up and bring them here. ;D

Donk what is a harvest buffer?

Gary_C

A more technical term would be RMZ or riparian management zone. On timber sales where there is a wetland or stream, etc. you are not supposed to cut nor make tracks in the RMZ. The obvious reason is to prevent the riparian areas from being cleared and allowing sediment to wash into the stream or wetland.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

TexasTimbers

I follow yooz gize now.

On the timber by the creek, is that a national wetland thing or state regulated?

I would guess violating a wetland ordinance could get your kiester in a tight spot.  :-X

SwampDonkey

Up here it is provincial. A 30 meter buffer, slope distance, and only 30 % removal, no machines within 10 meters. But, I see it violated all the time on private woodlots. They don't leave a stick except maybe right on the bank of the brook.  It happened to dad, and the logger said he couldn't pay for wood he couldn't cut. Presto, free wood. :-X

Ron Wenrich

Around here its just common sense.   ;)   But, the state has an agency called the Fish Commission that looks after such things.  They have a tendency to get to be real nasty if they see anything in the water (other than fish).
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Hard to reform some that were used to running skidders up a gravel bed for years.  :-X

Texas Ranger

In Texas they are called SMZ's, stream management zones.  They are voluntarily protected,  if you have an dealings with the Soils folks, then it gets a little tighter. Tax plans usually call for SMZ's for a tax break.  SMZ's can have selective harvest of less than 50% of the stand, no tops or trash in the streams, and no drag trails.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

TexasTimbers

Tex, what is pulp on the stump bringing over in y'alls neck?

dsgsr

I guess from what I'm hearing I should feel lucky about our pulp prices. Here in my area of Maine As of 2-weeks ago I was getting $50.00 ton for hardwood pulp and $47.00 ton for softwood.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

TexasTimbers

David that wasn't stump prices though surely. You are hauling it to the pulper and getting that for delivered, yes?

fishpharmer

I was told $13 per ton hardwood pulp on the stump.  $30 per ton hardwood sawlogs.  He is itchin to cut some of my land.  I am not so sure.  I would love to saw some myself.  

Then about a month ago a forester/timber buyer for Georgia Pacific told me $17 per ton for hardwood pulp.

Sounds like its across the board.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thompsontimber

Yeah Dave, you should be feeling pretty good about those prices...ours keeps dropping down here and we might be able to afford to truck it to Maine!  Pine pulp is in the toilet so bad that the $5/Tn people are in disbelief over for stumpage could probably be bought around here for $5/cord, at least if it has to be moved right now.  Delivered pine prices have fell to sub $20/tn, and even those places are full so u can't even sell it for that, u just have to sit on it.  Hardwood pulp is in demand, and still fetching sub 30/ton

Round these parts, the prices you have been given sound exceptional fishpharmer...but its all relative to the local market, and I am not familiar with yours

WDH

Fish,

Those prices are way higher than what I see across most parts of the South.  Even in the best of times, those would be good strong prices.

Across most of the South, pine pulpwood is selling for $5 to $9 per ton on the stump.  Hardwood usually sells for less than pine.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

The difference here is stumpage, your talking mill delivered price in Maine. I know those markets as our marketing boards have contracts over there in eastern Maine.

$8-$10 a metric tonne is about all you could squeeze right now on hardwood and aspen stumpage. In the Hay day, $15-20 was top dollar when pulp was $58 a metric tonne. The highest paying mill now is hit and miss with $54 I think, but you can't haul like there is no tomorrow. They have been called to task when they bulked at us hauling to Maine, but shutting wood flow off and on like a light switch. Apparently, it's ok to be fickle as a buyer, but not a seller. The president recently took another job. :D

fishpharmer

Didn't mean to double post. 

I trust my logger buddy about prices, he says they can't find anything to cut right now.  Shouldn't he be able to give me an idea of how much my timber is worth before cutting?  Do I need to hire a professional forestor to make sure I'm getting the most value?

I am learning alot from this post.  Hope my reply helps.  I just have trouble wrapping my mind around what a ton of pulpwood is in terms of numbers of trees.   I know it depends on alot of variables.    On one property, I have alot of different species like cherry, poplar and oaks  that  I am thinking will have alot more value down the road if left alone until they become sawlogs.

Another property (swampland) with the most hardwood pulp (to me), is just about under water right now from all the rain.  And my definition  of hardwood pulp is loose and uneducated (I have mostly sweetgum less than 12 dbh). I think I would like to clearcut it and plant it back in cypress, swamp chestnut oak and water oak (mainly for wildlife).  Ducks , deer and turkey in that order.

This should probably be in another post but I was thinking leave all the oaks already there (swampland), cut the sweetgum and plant the rest in cypress.  The oaks are really drawing the wildlife presently (hate to mess that up).

Hope I am not high jacking post.

jdphish

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Meadows Miller

Gday

Pulp down here runns at around $2 to $5 bucks a ton stumpage ive heard of blocks being cut and only the sawlog being paid for  ;) When ive done blocks that ive sighed up for my own supply of which ive still got around 300 acres allup of 30 to45 yo radiata pine still to go with an avv dbh of about 20"  ;D i pay a flat $10 to $15 per ton for my sawlog  (in the good blocks  ;)) and just push the top grade pulp into low grade sawlog as to put it on a truck and cart it the 80 miles to geelong for export pulp just dosent pay   ;) I head of at a 7"to8" min dia  ;D

fishpharmer looking at say a 10" dbh with a min top of 4" 40'tall  for pulp would have just shy of around 1/4 to ea so 4 to 5 trees will = i ton  down here in fresh radiata pine  ;) wood weight varys accross the board so your no of trees per ton will be probley be different  ;) ;D and like they say no two trees are the same  ;) :D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

SwampDonkey

That's not an easy proposition for anyone. First you have to find your volume, density and basal area by species per stand type and site and work on averages. In particular, the cruise finds volumes of a tree of any particular "diameter class" and species on your site, based on averages obtained from growth and yield studies. What about pulp volume in limb wood? One tree could have 2 major limbs up there and another might have 4. What is the minimum top diameter of the pulp sticks in your local market?

The Wood Handbook gives you lb/cuft of solid wood (green), so you can figure # trees based on that. It's ball park only. 

Each state or maybe region has it's own set of tree volume equations and/or taper classes. Height and taper changes with climate and soil and most tree volume calculations are based on breast height diameters. If your just talking log bolts and calculating lumber yield, it's based on top diameter inside the bark and log length as you know, so taper isn't an issue. Depending on defect and height to live limbs, one tree of said diameter could yield more merchantable board footage than another. Basing tonnage on number of trees leaves you wide open to scrutiny if you ever try to hold a logger to task if issues should arise.

thompsontimber

"Shouldn't he be able to give me an idea of how much my timber is worth before cutting?  Do I need to hire a professional forestor to make sure I'm getting the most value?"--fishpharmer.

Does your logging buddy typically buy his own stumpage?  If he cuts regurlarly for a procurement forester he can probably get that forester to conduct a timber cruise for you.  He may be able to cruise your timber himself, but in all likely hood he assesses values by "counting loads" as he walks through or some other non-scientific, unorganized, and inaccurate method.  But to answer your question, yes, he should be able to give you some idea, at the least a "ballpark" figure as to what your timber is worth rather than having to wait to after the timber is gone to find out if it was really worth it to you.  In order for that to happen, you have to set specific parameters for the harvest--you and he need to have a firm understanding of what will be cut and what will be left before hand.  Paint trees, define by species or location, whatever makes sense in your situation.  As to whether or not you should hire a forester, it depends on a few factors and what's important to you.  Based on your posts and the fact that you are on this forum, it shows me that you have a real interest in being involved and knowledgable about the things going on in your timber stands.  If you are willing to be involved, to take time and oversee the operation, there is no need to hire a forester to attain a good return. Consultants often push their services based on increased income to the landowner, and that certainly can be a result depending on who you would have marketed your timber to.  However, the real advantage to hiring a forester is sound forest management, and if you have some basic forest management knowledge, an interest in appropriate forest management, and utilize your access to state forestry agencies, you can attain that free of charge.  Most of my consultant friends (good guys, don't get me wrong) charge a 10% commission on the stumpage coming to you.  They need to make a living too, and they sure have their place in this business.  But for an involved landowner, I don't think you need him.  They will often quote you evidence of their great benefits, like evidence that they can attain an average of 28% higher stumpage than you would have attained on your own (far covering their 10% fee). But reality is that the timber is worth what it is worth, and if you have 5-10 firms make you offers on it, I'll bet you will find a 30% difference between the high and low bidder, especially if you contact the fly by night silver tongued logger up the road.  The high bidder is gonna bid the same thing whether you contact him or the consultant does.  Same for the low bidder. 
So, in conclusion, my advice would be, if you do not hire a forester, to have several other reputable firms in your area make you offers.  You might wish to sell it on a lump sum basis rather than on the units, especially since the units are creating confusion for you.  But at the least they should all be giving you approximate figures so you aren't selling blind. And if you do hire a forester, sell it lump sum! He needs to at least earn his money, and no one gets cheated on a lump sum.  If you sell on a unit basis and you expect your hired forester to man the roadway for you and know where everything goes, I fear you will be dissappointed.  I dunno about your area, but I've bought tracts from consultants both lump sum and on a unit basis, and never saw the forester step foot on the property after we made the deal either way.  We didn't steal timber and won't, but I thought for a fee the man oughta at least show up now and then, pretend to be doing something.  If you wanna sell on a unit basis, be sure you trust who u are dealing with, that they have an excellent reputation, and check behind them--nothing wrong with calling the mills, or setting up your lounge chair on the job and watching the trucks leave if you are retired and have the time, or set up a camera in the woods if you wish.  If the logger cares that you do those things, you don't need him cutting for you.  An honest man has nothing to hide.   And if nothing else, make sure he provides you with a detailed summary of the products and volumes removed, and is able to show you the wood tickets.  You should be able to know the day it was hauled, the product hauled, the volume on each individual load, and of course the mill the load was hauled to. 

Finally, the help create some sorta visual pic for you as to what these tons look like--as stated by swampdonkey, there is so much variability in trees per ton that you will probably find yourself going nuts trying to figure your tons based on how many trees they are cutting down.  With our tree length tractor trailers (typically 40 ft trailers) and weight regulations, we average from 22 to 25 tons on a loaded tractor trailer...that might be 25 large hardwood logs or seemingly hundreds of tiny pulpwood sticks...but the goal is to haul a full load, so you can picture a loaded truck heading out with 22 to 25 tons on it (if its big wood and they haul it overweight, you can definetely get more than that on a load, i'm saying legal loads)

Ron Scott

It appears that your woods needs a sustainable forestry management prescription that intigrates all the resources. You seem to have a particular objective to retain and improve the wildlife on your property with individual game species identified.

It is best to contact a professional consulting forester or the local conservation district forester and have them prepare a management prescription for you. As you can see, there is a lot involved in a timber harvest and more so when all resources are intigrated into the harvest from an ecosystem basis.
~Ron

dsgsr

Quote from: TexasTimbers on January 08, 2009, 05:48:00 PM
David that wasn't stump prices though surely. You are hauling it to the pulper and getting that for delivered, yes?

Yes, TexasTimbers that is NOT stump prices. sorry for the confusion.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

fishpharmer

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  I have an update on prices.

I met a logger with a small outfit.  I think he had has one bob truck, one saw and one man.  Not for sure.  But a real nice young fella to talk with.  I met him at the Wal Mart gas pumps filling his truck.  Anyway, I called him yesterday and asked what I had to pay him for a load of firewood logs (hardwood pulp).  He told me he was carrying a load to the chippin mill in Meridian, MS and was getting $30 per ton. 

I asked how many ton he hauled.  He says 7.5 to 8 tons per load.  But tells me he would sell me a load for $250
delivered. 

Is that reasonable for firewood?

He says hardwood pulp is at an all time high.  The chippin mill is by the interstate and I see it everyday.  They usually have alot of stockpiled wood in what I would guess to be a ten acre yard. But recently its almost empty.  So supply seems really short.  Heck hardwood pulp may get higher if we have a wet spring.

Okay here is dumb question.  What is hardwood pulp used for?  Why can't pine pulp and hardwood be put togethor?

Another interesting bit of information is that a major pine mill (in my opinion).  Mid South Lumber, is closing down, they laid off 150 folks.  Also, right in Meridian.  They make dimensional lumber. 
Pine is at an all time low.

SwampDonkey

You sure that isn't cords, 8 tons is a very small load of pulp (only 3 cords), I would think 22-25 ton on a small truck. What is a bob truck? Maybe that is a small truck, I know some fellows close to a mill can haul small loads.

Hardwood is used in fine, extra bright papers and Kraft pulp. They often mix softwood for more strength. Last I read, milled pulp was worth $750 a metric tonne.

Norm

Quote from: fishpharmer on January 16, 2009, 03:54:34 AMHe says hardwood pulp is at an all time high.

I guess that would make your area the only place in the country it is. :D

Now since I don't know your area that was tongue in cheek but in mine you can't give it away. Anything that can't go into pallet is firewood and firewood prices here are low. I was talking to a buddy of mine that runs a logging truck part time and he said they still had good demand for pallet but that anything else was just barely above pallet prices. He used to be full time but the demand is not there to keep him running full time.

WDH

Quote from: fishpharmer on January 16, 2009, 03:54:34 AM

Okay here is dumb question.  What is hardwood pulp used for?  Why can't pine pulp and hardwood be put togethor?

Pine fibers and hardwood fibers are very different, and they are generally not mixed except after pulping. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wmrussel

I'm about to put up timber sale heavy with pine pulp and some chip n saw.  Pine pulp has been up and down in my area, but the chip-n-saw is way down.   Anyone out there with some good news on the pine market?
My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

Ron Scott

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Norm on January 16, 2009, 07:21:12 AM

I guess that would make your area the only place in the country it is. :D

Must be for a short moment eh Norm? As you indicate the market sure don't support prices being an all time high.

I think there is some confusion between round wood pulp price and milled pulp. $30/ton for round pulpwood is even lower than at our mills. And even the milled price is not at an all time high. It was up in the $800's when foreign mills started closing down. Our mainstay mills that have been born here in NB such as Fraser and Irving have shut down saw mills here and there on temporary basis, but their pulp mills have been chugging right along. I guess it depends on whether they care about NB or not. It's quite obvious to me who does care. ;)

nsmike

fishpharmer, I don't know how the mills operate where you are but according to my quasi brother in law, who works with natural regen pine stands in NC, almost all of the hardwood pulp from that area is a byproduct of clear cutting the pine stands. The hardwood is seperated out and sent to the chipping mill. If thats true in your area, and their not cutting pine, it would expalain why there are no logs at the chipping mill.
Mike

Woodhog

QuoteMany of the ranchers in my area are pulping their timber for $5!  Shocked

I am watching load after load of "pulp" going past my place and most of the loads are sawlogs. They load pulp trees all on one and sawlog worthy trees on another. They aren't bucking them in the field though.

They aren't pulping those sawlogs are they? There's a mill in DeKalb that will buy those sawlogs and that's got to be where they are going. I haven't dropped in to nose around on any of the sites yet but am going to.

What are pulp prices in y'alls areas?
Am I getting old or is this a very confusing thread, are people talking stumage prices, pulp as ready to make cardboard boxes, firewood prices, log prices of pine or hardwood, bob trucks ??, english or metric tonnes, cords or tons per load  ?price roadside or price delivered to the mill???
[/quote]

Banjo picker

We do have a few interisting phrases here.  But I think a bob truck down south is a truck that has about a 16 ft or so (give or take a ft.or two) bed.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

A bob-tailed truck was the term for a truck and attached rack that was used when pulpwood was cut into 5 foot lengths and either loaded by hand or with a "Big Stick" loader.  It can also be used, as previously mentioned, to haul 16 foot sawlogs. 

thompsontimber

Hardwood roundwood is not at an all time high in my area yet, but its getting close and is certainly in high demand whereas pine pulp roundwood is in the toilet, markets are tight and prices falling.  Hardwood pallet logs not doing well either, with pulpwood bringing more than pallet logs at most of the local markets.  You can see pretty nice mixed hardwood logs heading down the highway tree length to the chip mill every day, not feasible for people to cut out pallet logs.

Thank You Sponsors!