iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hercules winch won't lock load up

Started by redneck, January 06, 2009, 07:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redneck

my hercules winch on my tj skidder pulls fine but won't hold up a heavy load. :(  1 or 2 stems fine but anything heavy won't hold up to rollers. ???  any suggestions would be great
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

tw3006

we had one a few years back that we didn't used much, so i dont know much about the hercules, but anyways one time the drum wouldn't hold and it was a spring in that cylinder on the side of the winch, which was an easy fix, the spring was broke we just took it out and put a new one in, but it could be the bands in the winch, then youre getting into a few more dollars.

barbender

check the adjustment on the brake band- if it's too loose it will slip, too tight and you will be fighting it to pull out your cable. If it's the same set up as the one I use, there is a lock nut  where the hydraulic release cylinder goes through the end of the brake band, that's where you adjust it I think.
Too many irons in the fire

MaineLogger

Like barbender says adjust the brake piston until it starts to drag on the drum a little,that's as tight as you want it.
If the piston only works one way the spring may be broke.Also,watch the winch drum to see if it moves up and down if the drum or shaft bearing is bad the brake won't hold good either.
Good Luck.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

redneck

Thanks i will check that adjustment when it warms up a little. 

Does anyone know where i can download diagrams or a service manual for a 208 timber jack?

208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

barbender

Cam Hardwig at Northern Timberline in Littlefork, MN faxed me a parts diagram when I was working on the pto on the TJ. I don't know the number, I'll try to search it on the web. He's pretty knowledgable,  he told me in 2 minutes more than the local John Deere/Timberjack dealer could in a week.

barbender

I forgot, I don't know if I am supposed to post phone numbers on here, I can PM it to you (they don't have a web site)

GRANITEstateMP

redneck,

I went to www.johndeeretechinfo.com and ordered the cd / repair manual for our 230D.  I want to say it was under $35 and it paid for itself the first day.  I would recommend paying the extra for shipping to get it a little quicker.  It's got a pretty good troubleshooting chart too.  Sorry I don't have it on me.

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Maineloggerkid

It could be the adjustment or the bands need replacing. MY freind has a 440B that was having similair problems, and the bands themselves were gone.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

barbender

If you can get a manual for $35, I'd do it. Like Matt said, it would pay for itself the first day.

redneck

thanks for that number and website :) i will look into ordering that service manual when i finish plowing this snow were getting.... only a few inches of snow but all the parking lots need plowed >:(

lonewolf

Did you get your winch to hold a load. I had an eaton/hercules winch a few years ago that wouldn't hold . The bolt holes that attach the brake band were cracked and allowed it to give enough to slip. Couldn't get it to free spool if I tightened it enough to hold a load.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

Thank You Sponsors!