iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut for firewood.

Started by LeeB, January 06, 2009, 07:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

I cut up a couple of small walnuts that have been down for a long time laying around going to rot. I didn't even know they were walnut till I started cutting them. They were down when we moved here 2 years ago. Too small to mill. Lindy has heard that you shouldn't burn it for firewood. I never heard that myself. What about it? firewood or not?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ronwood

LeeB,

I burn it in my Central Boiler.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

LeeB

What about in the living room wood stove?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dale Hatfield

Ive never heard not to burn it for any health reasons . I have burnt some this winter off falls from carving. I can smell the smoke and know its walnut. I really think it has poor burning qualities . Hard to burn even seasoned very well. and seams to smother the fire when added . It might be me but thats my 2 cents.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

ARKANSAWYER

Burn lots of it and it is a pretty good fire wood.  Makes good heat but not much coals.   Will burn green or dry.
ARKANSAWYER

ohsoloco

I burn lots of it in my woodstove to heat the house.  Arky hit the nail on the heat about good heat but not much coals.  I'm saving the rest of mine for the spring when the stove doesn't need to run as often.  Splits real nice if it's not knotty....

Warbird

From various sites I've read, walnut for firewood would be a 6 to a 7, on a 10 point scale.  This site seems to have decent information.  I am not affiliated with the site and didn't know about it until I researched your question.  The site has no forums, so from my readings of the FF rules, it should be okay to post it.  If it isn't okay, then someone let me know and I'll remove it.

http://www.mastersweep.com/wood.htm

He gives a bunch of great info about avoiding creosote buildup.  The stuff he says about seasoning wood is pretty much right on.  IMO, if you are burning softwood, you can get away with only seasoning it 6 - 8 months but more than 1 year is desirable.

*edit*  Meant to add in that based on everything I've read, you'd want to get a year or more of age on that walnut.

*edit again* But then I just reread your post and noticed they've been down 2+ years already so nevermind the first edit.  ;D

LeeB

I guess we'll be burning the walnut. Thanks guys.

Don_Papenburg

I know that it will burn in a fireplace .   My buddy knew an older lady that had a walnut log in her basement of the house she grew up in.  She asked if he knew anyone that would want it . She told him that it was down there when she was growing up and that they used to play on it . He said that he would ask me if I would be interested . Anyway when he told her I would like it she said that her son said he would take it .  My buddy mentioned it to her son a while later and he said that it smelled real good burning in the fire place :(
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

bck

I have been burning some the last few days, burns good. I dont like the smell though.

beenthere

I don't go out of my way to burn it. Seems to leave a pile of ashes equal to the log that went in the burner. And it is less dense, so less heat per volume if walnut. But if it is in the way, it will end up in the firewood pile and get taken out as ashes.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I know butternut isn't black walnut, but it burns fast like dry northern white cedar. I don't burn it unless it's in bad shape or real small. Has nothing to do with the burning, but it's like food, I hate wasting it. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

We burn a lot of walnut.  It comes to us in the form of bad cants off the mill,  logs too crooked and small to make lumber from, butted off ends of logs and lumber.  It burns well.  Use it!

This winter we've been "re-purposeing" old lumber that did not sale for one reason or another.  We've had it stacked outside for years.  So we're cutting it up into firewood for the house.  We're also cutting up the old blocking that was used to hold it up, etc.  With no bark and well seasoned, it makes great firewood and it burns with almost no ash. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Bibby I sell that stuff for turning stock.  You got about $1,000 worth in that trailer.  You will need lots of it today.
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

What's in the box is old oak lumber. 

I've had "turners" look at the walnut I have and I can't give it to them.  They can't see under the bark!
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

That's part of the dilemma of having an abundance of stuff, people get too fussy to bother with.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmerdoug

With my OWB it all burns.  If it dead, poor shape, in the way, or just slabs, it is burnt. ;D
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Bibbyman

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on January 15, 2009, 11:40:11 AM

Bibby I sell that stuff for turning stock.  You got about $1,000 worth in that trailer.  You will need lots of it today.

I got to thinking about it. If you've got a $1,000 market for my firwood walnut,  come up and I'll load you up for $500.  We'll both make money!  :)
Sawing since '94

petefrom bearswamp

Hi guys
If you google btu content of firewood you will find a bunch of sites listing the btu of various fuelwoods.
One site I looked at had Black Walnut toward the high end, another had it in the middle.
I also found  an old poem that sums it up, but I can't remember where I found it.
Starts out "beechwood fires burn bright and clear if the logs have lain a year...)
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

woodmills1

I inherited some horsechestnut trees here and in the fall I just shovel up the nuts  after they drop and throw them in the burner. :o :o :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

can't eat'm anyway, so why not?  ;D

ohsoloco

That's where all of my hickory nut shells, and black walnut shells end up.  Gotta be careful how many I throw in there...makes a real hot fire.

Quartlow

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on January 15, 2009, 08:05:53 PM
but I can't remember where I found it.
Starts out "beechwood fires burn bright and clear if the logs have lain a year...)
Pete

WHICH WOOD BURNS BEST?
Beech wood fires are bright and clear
        If the logs are kept a year.
    Chestnut's only good, they say,
         If for long it's laid away.
    Birch and fir logs burn too fast,
     Blaze up bright and do not last.
Elm wood burns like a churchyard mould;
      E'en the very flames are cold.
       Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
  Fills your eyes and makes you choke.
   Apple wood will scent your rooms,
      With an incense like perfume.
     Oak and maple, if dry and old,
        Keep away the winter cold.
  But ash wood wet and ash wood dry,
    A King shall warm his slippers by.
                               C.P. Ackers

Adapted from "Practical British Forestry."
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

pigman

The rumors of the demise of Quartlow were false. 8) Glad to see you are still around.  :)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks quartlow,
I had it on my desk, but you know how it goes looking for stuff there.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!