iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burl market

Started by thompsontimber, January 06, 2009, 06:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thompsontimber

Who is in the burl market in the Carolinas?  I manage to run across some pretty nice ones on occassion, and have a big oak burl now.  Anyone have any experience selling or processing them around western NC, upstate SC?  Appreciate any contacts or interest

Ironwood

Welcome, I have found that market a very tough one to "find". I think oak is especially hard to market, as it does not pin knot well or in small knots (most favorable burl). This one is oak, big pin knots and they like to onion peel out, soo lots of epoxy >:(

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thompsontimber

Thanks for the reply Ironwood.  Yes, I am finding it to be a tough market to "find" like you said.  The oak burl I'm sitting on now is red oak similar in size to the one you have pictured.  I'll try to get some dimensions of it and add some pics.

thompsontimber

Ignore dates, pics taken November 2008--changed batteries and didn't realize camera set to time stamp

Ironwood

Cormark International , in Weaverville, NC.  give him a try.  Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thompsontimber

Thanks for the info Ironwood!  I'll definetely check them out

jim king

They make great table tops when cut in cookies.

thompsontimber

low_48

I agree with Ironwood, oak burls tend to have a different look. They will be fine for furniture, but not the best for turning. The couple I cut open had quite a few bark inclusions. You might try the local Association of American Woodturners. Here is a link;
http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

metalspinner

Here are a couple of pics of some turned Red Oak burl.  It's different, but still nice.  That is what lots of turners are after.  You can find maple burl dealers all over.  I have not seen red oak burl in the general marketplace.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dodgy Loner

Don't forget this one :)!  This bowl came from the slab you gave to WDH.  Was that slab from the same stash you've got in those pictures?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

metalspinner

Yes.  All of that wood came from the same burl.  It was about as large as the burls pictured by Thompsontimbers and Ironwood.  That first pic is just about 25% of the pile. 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dodgy Loner

Awesome.  That's a lot of burl wood :o
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

thompsontimber

thanks for the link low_48, very useful!  Nice pics metalspinner...might be tough to market red oak burl, but appears you made the best of yours

Thank You Sponsors!