iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting to show a little progress.

Started by shopteacher, July 21, 2003, 03:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

Finally starting to show some progress on the barn. I have the upper roofs and front hips all shingled.  I currently framing the rear hips and overhang and hope to complete them this week. We're suppose to get rain for the next couple days so that could be a set back. Can't wait to start putting siding on it and get it buttoned up before winter. Started this last Aug. and worked till Dec. Started at it again in May ( due to all the rain). Right now it's 36 X 40' and I hope to add another 30 foot section if I can get the fill to fill in the area behind it.  I have just under 2000.00 in it so far and the biggest cost was the 1400 for the shingles. I've already got lumber stacked and stickered in the upstairs for the sides.

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Jeff

Thats a barn?  I'll trade ya a house for it! WoW
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

I have to say Wow, Wow.  Looks more like a palace to me.  What you going to use it for?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Norm

Nice to see a barn with some character. Around here everyone (me included) has a rectangle box with a steel roof and siding. Looks great!

biziedizie

Nice house, where's the pics of the barn??? :D

We built a house/barn like that a few years ago where they lived on top and the cattle were under them in the first floor.

Wasn't near as nice as what you have though. :)

Hay wait a minute it looks like you made a change in your truss system! Was the sliding glassdoor opening an after thought???

Steve

shopteacher

The trusses were a construction class project.  I had a small construction class last year and needed a project to fill some time.  The trusses were built on a fixture we put together in the shop and the kids cut and assembled the web and cord members.  
   The door on the side is to load lumber through. You can make out a 4" H beam at the top of the door. I had to raise the rafters over top of the beam and cross them inorder to get clearance for an electric cable hoist and trolly.  I have the front end off of a fork lift that I'm going to make into an electric-hydraulic elevator to lift heavy loades to the second floor.
   Originally I planed to put a steel roof on it, but couldn't get it done before winter. Once spring came I figured since I had the wood I might as well sheat the roof and shingle it.  Those are lifetime shingles as I firuger I would prefer not to be up there shingling when I'm in my 80's. It's been a big job for one man, but I'm well satisified with the outcome so far. Thanks for the kind words.  I'll send a few shots of the inside as soon as I get a chance to take a couple.

Jeff

If you really look like that user pic you will never have to lock that barn. You may however have to tie up the animals... ;)

biziedizie

Jeff......is that pic bugging you??? ......OK it's bugging me too. :D :D

shopteacher can you change it please??? :D :D

Thankyou :)

Steve

shopteacher

OK Steve,
      Just for you and Jeff I change my picture to a sweet little pooch.  I hope you guys like animals. :D :D :D

Frank_Pender

Shopteacher, that is a fine set of digs.   I sure like your idea of an elevator for lifting tothe second floor.  :) That sounds cool.  Way to go in having your students have some true life learning and ownership in their teachers barn.  :)

And, I liked the original picture.  Us teachers have to stick together no matter what we look like.   :D   I had numbers of people wanting me to change my looks  philosophy and teaching methods all at the same time and said no to all three.    8).   8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

biziedizie

Well I guess the pics a little better. :D :D

Wouldn't want that pooch licking me in the morning though. :D :D

Steve

OneWithWood

Now that's a barn  8)  8)

You have every right to be proud of your progress.  It is obvious you have put a good deal of thought into the structure.  I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

shopteacher

Raining this morning so I took a few shots of the inside.  The upstairs is mostly for wood storage after its been dried (although you can see a little junk already starting to creep in).  The H beam will have a hoist and trolly to lift lumber to the second floor. In the picture you can see one 16 foot section tied up under the rafters. I'm considering putting the beam on rollers, a walking beam, that could be extended out for lifting and rolled inside at other times. Depends if I can find the rollers I want.  The pic of the rear hip is what I got done last night before quitting. I have about 5 more hip rafters to cut and place then it will be ready for sheeting.  The pic of the stack of wood is looking from one gable toward the other.  I mentioned I'd like to add 30 foot onto the back of the bldg. ( saw shed) but needed fill, the picture with a little rail and some trees is looking over the back of the building. It's about 40 feet down.  However, where the building is now was at that same depth a few years back.

biziedizie

The pony wall that's supporting the gable trusses is that two 2x4's or is it a laminate beam? Either way it looks good it's just that I can't see from the pic.

Steve

shopteacher

Hi Steve,
    That's just  2X4" construction. Single sole plate and double top plate. Being rough cut their all true 2" X 4"
     I really miss my other user picture and may have to return to it.  Can't figure out what you guys have against a guy that's not quite as good looking as you. Might be a case for the persons with disability's act.  :D :D :D :D

biziedizie

Shopteacher the deal with the pic is that it scares my 5 year old. :D :D
  And to tell ya the truth it looks a little creepy. :D :D
  I can't read any of your replies if Devon is lurking over my shoulder. :D :D

Steve

shopteacher

OK Steve,
     Lets see, if Devon is 5 and you moved to Pittsburgh; ::) then the possibility exists that he could become one of my future students.  :o Well in that case I don't want to scare any upcoming students.  ;D The wild wood man has to go. How does he like my pooch?  :D :D  I'll keep him till I find a more suited image. 8)

Jeff

Dang all that work for nothin. I liked the wildman after the edits.

shopteacher

Sorry Jeff,
   Can't scare the younguns. ( Could be it was just Steve that was scared). :D :D

biziedizie

Trying to find a pic of my kid when he was hiding behind the tree that my dad dropped on my house. :D He looks really cute in that pic and it would make ya want to not make him scared. :)

Where oh where did I put that cd???

I promised my ex that I would never post a pic of my kid online and I agree with her reasons but I think it's safe with you guys. :)

Steve

shopteacher

Find it Steve, I want to see the little rascal,

Grampa_Joe

Nice job on the building Shopteacher. But if you expect me to believe it's a barn, it should have one of these.
Grampa Joe

shopteacher

Hi Grampa,
   Those will come under finishing.  Although I'd love to be at that point I got a ways to go.  Where'd you get those from?

Grampa_Joe

They come from my Great Grampa's homestead barn. Put up in 1909 , fell down this spring in high winds.
Grampa Joe

Thank You Sponsors!