iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Planer!

Started by tyb525, January 05, 2009, 10:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Finally got my new Grizzly 12 1/2" planer today.  8) I had to go meet the freight truck because there was no where for it to turn around on our country road. I promptly opened it and assembled it - which consisted of screwing the height adjustment handle on and putting the chip deflector on.

I have an ample supply of rough lumber, so in the short time I had I planed a 10" wide piece of red elm, which turned out beautifully. I then planed several cherry boards, and an ash board. It all turned out great.  :)

Now the only other planer I have used is a DeWalt 12 1/2" owned by my uncle, so I don't have a lot of experience with planers. But I will say that this planer seems to have more power and a faster feed rate, and it was quite a bit cheaper. The solid metal construction doesn't hurt either.

Of course it can only take small bites at a time - it's not a thickness planer. But since I'm a "small shop" on a budget it works just fine for me.

I'm happy enough to finally have a planer, ever better is that it's a good one.

Sorry I didn't get any pictures, maybe later.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dan_Shade

congrats on your new purchase!   We need pics!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Left Coast Chris

Congrats on the planer!  Do you have a vac system to pull the chips from the planer?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

tyb525

No, right now I just let the chips fly onto the floor, and sweep them up with a shop vac and broom later. I've been looking at dust collectors, all I really need and can afford is a small one that I can can move from machine to machine, such as the grizzly g8027 1hp dust collecter. Of course it doesn't have to be Grizzly, anything better than a shop vac that has a 4" inlet.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dan_Shade

This is the "old" safety oriented guy in me talking, but get a good comfortable pair of ear muffs, those planers are noisy, and your old age self will appreciate it :-)

I use a pair of Stihl muffs, they are very comfortable.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

Congrats on your new machine. 8)

Another reason for adequate dust and chip collection is the quality of the finished surface.  Recycling chips through the cutter-head and across the board surface will begin to put little divots on your work.  Especially when the knives get a bit dull.

A small collector moved from machine to machine can be adequate, although a bit inconvenient. One step at a time. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I wear ear plugs around the planer. Loud!
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tyb525

I always wear ear protection and safety glasses when I work with power tools (if I forget I always catch myself - you could almost say I feel naked without saftey glasses around power tools). I have a bunch of ear plugs that work really well.

Dan_Shade

I'm the same way, safety glasses and hearing protection.  Safety is cheap when you compare it to an accident.

Meadows Miller

Gday Tyb

a big Congrats on the new purchase Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) just another step forward  ;) ;D with the dust extraction if you can scrounge an small old mill  blower and just fit a flexi hose to swap from machine to machine and just use plumbing pipe for ducting  ;) you can even vacume the floor with it   ;)  :D ;D thats another cheap way mate  ;)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

tyb525

That sounds like a good idea Chris I'll look for one of those

Thank You Sponsors!