iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: gas or electric (again)

Started by sawyerkirk, July 13, 2003, 10:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyerkirk

Thanks for all the convincing, I have decide to go with the electric, I have always appreciated the woodmizers with electrics, so much quieter and less maintenance! Thanks again. Kirk

sawyerkirk

I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a new stake pointer, and am stuck between gas or electric. It will be run in the saw shed which s open, so exhaust isn't a problem. Hud-son puts either a 5.5hp briggs or a 1hp electric. I'm supplying my own power, I'll probably bump the hp's up a bit. any thoughts? I'm leaning toward the 2 hp electric, just in case I should want to move it inside, but I'm just stuck on gas burners! I need someone to convince me to buy the electric!

D._Frederick

Sawyer-,
If you plan to use it where you have power, then go electric. The motor is always ready to run, no problems with spark plugs, bad gas, never needs the oil changed, and the 2 hp motor will pull-the pants- off of the 5 1/2 hp gas. Another benefit is the lower noise level.

ElectricAl

SawyerKirk,

Electric really does not bog down.
It pulls hard until it stalls. ;D

Linda and I would encourage electric,
but ask Bibbyman and Mary. ;)

ElectricAl and Linda
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sawyerkirk

Thanks everyone, I will order the cutter head this morn and then order the 2hp electric. Anyone ever order from "surplus center"? I luv em!! lots  of really cool stuff.
While on the subject of electric motors, I am currently running a 20 hp kohler engine on my mill. I would eventually like to replace it with electric, I only have single phase, so I would have to run a converter, how many horse electric would I need to stay comparable to the kohler?

ElectricAl

A Baldor 15 hp will easly out do the 20 hp gas.

The converter should be big enough to handle your new WM and edger.  

Plan for the future.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

D._Frederick

Sawyer-,
Get your self a 10 hp Baldor Farm Duty motor single phase,it will require a 50 amp breaker, 220 volt. If you have good service to the motor, it will give your 25 hp gas engines a good run for the money. If you want more hp, then go to a converter for three phase. If you want the same power you now have,stay with the single phase. You should be able to buy the motor, magnetic load switch, and wiring for less than $1000.

Haytrader

I agree with everyone on the electric just for noise level.
My first mill had two 5 HP electric motors. One helped the other, so I guess it was like a 10 HP. I now have the same mill with a 25 HP Koehler. I think it has a little more umph, but not much. Wish I had the electric back. Much quieter and like Al stated, always ready.
Haytrader

Thank You Sponsors!