iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing prices

Started by SCSawyer, January 04, 2009, 08:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCSawyer

Hello,
just wondering if you you guys can tell me anything on the going rate for sawing I have been charging .50per bf on there logs and .85 per bf on my logs just average stuff nothing special and they are still covering me up is this too cheap ?
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

WoodMiller

We went to an hourly rate last year, prior to that we were getting 250.00/1000 bf, but it was often too slanted towards the customer's dirty, crooked, small (or huge) logs. For an 8 hour day at $65.00 per hour, that's $520.00  If we cut 2000 bf that day, that's $260.00/1000.  The day that you can cut 2000 bf of 4/4 lumber with small logs is a hard and long one for you.  But if the logs are 12 ft long by 14 inch dib, or 100 bf (Int'l 1/4 inch scale), that's 20 logs, or 2.5 logs an hour and is pretty easy for 2 guys to do if the site is good, the customer has his logs stacked correctly, you're running a debarker, not edging everything on the mill, etc.  Many of my customers don't have things set up for us that way, they have their firewood mixed in with the sawlogs, etc....  They'll tell you to "set aside the ones that aren't worth cutting".  The logs are filthy and left all over the place, etc.  The problem with the /bf charge is that you aren't making any money moving the customer's firewood - your pay is measured by the volume of the lumber you produced.  I tell my customers that I should be able to cut 3 to 4 14 inch x 12 foot logs in an hour, so I can cut between 2700 and 3000 bf per 8 hour day with those logs.  The number of times I actually do that is roughly equal to the number of times I get 12 foot logs 14 inches dib stacked correctly on a good site, which isn't all that often.

So, depending on log and site conditions, you might get twice what I would for cutting those 12 foot logs, but when they're 8 to 10 feet  long and 6 to 12 inches at the small end, and twisted to boot, I'll probably make the fairer wage for the day's work.

All that said, charge what is reasonable for your investment, overhead and labor, and what the customer is willing to pay and you to accept.  We do charge for delivery and have a three hour minimum unless the logs are brought to our yard.

Come to think of it, several customers and friends have told me I charge too little, so I should probably look at that rate again...... ;)
WoodMizer LT40 Superhydraulic LT40HDD51

Ron Wenrich

50¢/bf for sawing is a pretty high price, especially if you are using your circle mill.  We are less than half that price, but our mill is automatic, and has a higher cutting rate.

85¢/bf may or may not be a good price.  Our hemlock prices are less than that, but our oak prices are higher.  Better quality boards also fetch a higher price.  So, it depends.

If you're be smothered in custom sawing their logs, then I wouldn't change the price.  There must be a tremendous void in the market.  If you're supplying the logs and they're smothering you, then your price is probably too cheap.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

sgschwend

Their has been a lot printed about the pros and cons of hourly versus bf; you can find that here and other places.

I switched to bf from hourly because I found that I could adjust my bf price a little and cover the variability of the customer's setup and needs.  I also found that most folks worried that hourly was open ended, it made them nervous.   

As stated above jobs have a lot of different demands and the ones that are hard to do are better hourly jobs.

In my opinion east coast mills tend to cut wood at lower price than west coast, your cut charge looks OK compared to west coast; again I would tell my customers the charge runs between $.40-50bf depending on the job.  Your supplied wood charge looks too low for here; ours would start at $1/bf.  Equal steps of cost is a good rule of thumb.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Banjo picker

From what I have learned so far, its hard or next to impossible to give a straight bf price, although as Ron said, you are doing ok.  Log size and quality have to come into play as to how much you can cut as does your mill.  Even log quanitys would be considered by me.
If someone wants two or three logs cut, you have to keep that seperate, do paper work (fix up a bill) take time with them unloading, loading and shooting the breeze maybe more that some one that has a full load of logs.

What size lumber are they wanting. (Most here seem to want one inch)

I am learning the hard way but fairly quickly, not to give out a cross the board price, might work for some just not me.

In the concrete business I learned that the estimaters mortal sin was not to look at the job site.  It transposes to not looking at the logs for me.   ;D Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ARKANSAWYER

I have found the best guide for an area is what a good backhoe makes per hour.  So, if you find a backhoe makes $60 an hour and you can saw 250 bdft an hour then your bdft rate is $0.24 bdft or your hour rate should be $60 hr.
  I get $0.25 bdft here at the mill to customers logs and $20 per blade if I hit trash.  If they are paying it and you have plenty work then your rate is just fine.  It is easier to come down then go back up.
ARKANSAWYER

sgschwend

Good rule of thumb!

In our area construction hourly runs $125/hr.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

SCSawyer

Thanks guys this will help. I dont pic up there logs they have to drop them off or I have a friend who will pick them up and drop them off for the cust. and even cut them. I work a 10hr day job and dont have time for all that, most time he will get to that for them I thought that .50bf was high I started saw for .25 and have steadily went up but it has not stopped the people from coming I think it has alot to do with there used to be a mill in every holler around here but all the old men have died out and the mills have rotted down me and a couple more are the only ones left in a 50 mile radius so if anyone doesnt want to pay store or big mill prices or want to use there own logs then they have to come to us, so I guess its a blessing in desguise.
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

Thank You Sponsors!