iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bucking walnut logs for max value

Started by Polly, January 04, 2009, 07:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polly

;D 8     i am going to have about 10 or 12 walnut logs i am planing on selling to a log yard and i need to know how to cut them up for highest value , example i know a log 16ft long no knots straight would bring highest price but how about the same log with a bade not say 10ft from one end would you saw out the not leaving a log 10ft long log and a5ft log  or would you sell the 16ft log which way would bring the most money someone explane the correct way which way would realize the most money  also how about the same log that was crooked would you cut in half leaving both 8 ft sections fairly straight also would you be better off sawing the odball pieces yourself and saving for lumber you might say i am a little confused please help  :-[ :-[ :-[ :( :( 8) 8) 8)

Gary_C

First thing to do is talk to the log yard and see what their specs are. They are very fussy on walnut, especially if they are good logs. Sometimes it is better even to let them cut to best value. A veneer log, if you have any must be cut properly or the grade is lost.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

isawlogs

Gary beat me to it . It would be best to contact the buyer and see what he is looking for .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!