iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dust collection for a lathe

Started by Norm, January 03, 2009, 03:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I'm getting ready to order a oneida dust collection system for the shop and wondered what others have done to suck up all the dust and debris from their lathes.  If you have a picture of your system that would be a bonus.

pigman

I try to breath deeply when sanding. That seems to collect most of the fine dust. You don't want a picture of my nose. ;)  I just sweep up the larger stuff. I hope someone has a better solution I can copy. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Don_Papenburg

Pigman , don't you have slatted floors in your pighousenowshop?  Put your lathe over the slatted floor work till it can't be pushed down any more .  Then move the lathe a little and start turning.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

tyb525

They sell big dust hoods (I think that's what they're called) which are basically like air funnels, that can be used on miter saws or lathes.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

CHARLIE

Norm, I have yet to find anything that really does a good job of collecting shavings as you are turning. The dust collector head I have for my lathe is just that. It collects the fine dust from sanding.   http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=812399&FamilyID=3626  Of course, this is good 'cause you don't wanna be breathing that fine dust.

I've never done it but have thought about doing this for several years.  Put some tin under the ways that slope to the middle where a 4 inch dust collector hose is attached.  Most of the shavings seem to fall down and they would land in this tin and slide directly to the hose.

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Left Coast Chris

Hi Norm,

I have the dust nozzel and stand that Charlie shows on his link.  Its good but like he says, its best for saw dust.   There are still times when I need to wear a dust mask depending on what wood Im working on.  Spalted wood can especially give you trouble.  I got a nasty sinus infection from some moldy Silver Maple one time so Im alot more careful now. ::)

I have never seen anyone avoid picking up the shavings off the floor.  Since its winter, mine go from the floor into the wood stove or into buckets bound for the wood stove. :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Norm

Thanks guys. I'm not too concerned about the shavings but the dust is mostly what I'm after. The older I get the more it bothers me.

metalspinner

I've got a 4" flexible pipe end on a movable stand behind the ways.  This catches the dust.  But like others have mentioned the shavings need to be shoveled.

I drop too much tools and stuff to put a sloping catchall under the machine.  I wonder what a bottle of CA sounds like hitting the impeller? :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

tyb525

Time for some HEPA nose hair  :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ksu_chainsaw

I had a piece of 4" flex hose run to the lathe.  on the end of the flex, I put a 6" to 4" PVC reducer.  I glued several magnets to the outside of the 6" part of the reducer.  This would let me hook on the hose so it would suck the best for the small dust.  I never found anything to pick up the big shavings- except a broom and the floor sweep in the collector.  Hope this helps you.

Charles

Burlkraft

Most things go through unscathed as the heavy objects fall in the dust bin and do not go through the impeller.

Jill did lose a couple of fingers on her favorite pair of gloves  ::)  ::)  ::)

I've had small tools and all kinds of things get sucked up and have always waited for the big crash, but it never happens  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Lud

I set up my lathe upstairs in the bankbarn that's my shop.  I have a box fan blowing slightly above head height  to the left of where   I stand to set up a primary current.  A pedestal fan to the right and across  the lathe gets bumped on during sanding......and there's suction below the turning piece from a  4" flex is hooked to the  remote controlled 2HP vacuum  downstairs thru my homebuilt cyclone of two big blue barrels mated up.

I can shovel up a couple of 40 gal cans of shavings and bandsaw trimmings in a day or two so I put in a trapdoor in the barn floor over a highwalled cart that I tow with the 4wheeler.  Holds plenty 'til i run it out to the compost gully .

Still working to improve the system. ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Woodchuck53

Evening Norm, have recently installed a common variety hall attic fan in the center of the shop ceiling. Right now it just sucks into the covered space over the shop. Have plans of building a wind tunnel with a removable trap to the outside. Just got a used 4' louverd and screened vent for the outside wall. With the homemade vacumn system I built it seems to cut down quite a bit on the scary things I used to blow out of my nose. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Norm

Well after much more work than I ever thought possible I finally fired up my new Oneida dust collector system.

I still need to find a burly couple of guys to help move in Patty's lathe but pretty much everything else is ready to go.

Hey Steve if your not busy some weekend maybe we can supervise Jill and Patty doing just that.  ;D

Lud

Nice lookin' space, Norm.  What's the overall dimension?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

pineywoods

Drool drool slobber...what a shop! very nice..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Norm

Thanks Wayne.  :) I threw some walnut slabs through the planer to see how well it worked. If you get low give me a holler.

Lud it's 42X60 but only about half is wood shop.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Norm on August 30, 2009, 04:56:19 PM

Hey Steve if your not busy some weekend maybe we can supervise Jill and Patty doing just that.  ;D

Hey Norm...That looks like quite the set up. I knew you had fired it up the other day....As a matter of fact I told Patty so  :D  :D  :D  I knew it was either you or the Hawkeyes  :D  :D  :D  :D

I think I could talk Jill in ta comin' and it would be fun to supervise that operation.

It's way too uncluttered in there. Want me to bring some clutter?

Right now I don't think I could walk from one side of my shop to the other  ::)  ::)  ::)  ;D  ;D

Patty

Hey Norm...That looks like quite the set up. I knew you had fired it up the other day....As a matter of fact I told Patty so  :D  :D  :D  I knew it was either you or the Hawkeyes  :D  :D  :D  :D

You have been just dieing work that into a thread haven't you! :D

My Hawkeyes almost got whipped today by a small college team from northern Iowa. It was pathetic.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Burlkraft

They did win tho...... ;D  ;D  ;D

The Badgers play tonight and I hope upon hope they don't let me down  ::)  ::)  ::)

I could be in fer some abuse if they do

Yes Patty....I have been waiting and waiting to use that in a thread  :D  :D  :D  :D

Norm

The UNI panthers are my favorite team and they were so close to beating Iowa....I thought Patty was gonna have a stroke on the final plays.  :D

beenthere

I was in hopes that UNI would have pulled that off too. Maybe the Cyclones will do it for them next week. I can hope, anyway.  8) 8)

Turn the dust collector on about game time. Please Norm.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I use a great big old shop vac to collect the shavings and sawdust after each project. Sweeping just makes more dust fly around. I use a mask while turning and sanding.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

When the winds out of the SW and the big barn doors open on the east side, my leafblower finishes up after the broom and aluminum grain shovel did all they could!   8)

Probably shouldn't use this technique when you've done some paintin' earlier...............

Texas Ranger

When I grow up I want a shop like that.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!