iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need help for new saw

Started by missourilogger, January 02, 2009, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missourilogger

i want a saw that can handle a 24 inch bar in oak and other hardwoods i want something like my dads 362xp husky or a stihl 361 are there any other good  choices
i Was here

and here

badpenny

A Husky 372 xp would be a good choice, in my opinion. I run a 20" 3/8 pitch bar on mine for most work, and have a 28" 3/8 pitch for bigger stuff when needed, with 73LG full comp chains for both. One of these days I will try a skip chain on the 28 just to see what it does. I cut mostly oak and birch for firewood, in the 12" to 24" DBH. Also, white pine and spruce up to 44" DBH for sawlogs. The 28" with rip chain helps fit the larger logs on the mill by taking off 2 slabs.
   Others have their favorites, and I'm sure will chime in with them.
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

missourilogger

what is a husqvarna 365xp are they the new 362 or are they old?
i Was here

and here

sawguy21

The 365 is a great saw but is probably the minimum for a 24" bar and on the way out due to new emission regs. The 372XP would meet your needs very well but grab one while you still can, they are heading the way of the dinosaur too. The MS361 is a little small but will work with a sharp skip chain.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chevytaHOE5674

Stihl 440 or 460, Both will pull a 24" through hardwood nicely. If you want to pull it easily and have the option to go to a larger bar, then get yourself a 660 and be done.

Ianab

For a 24" bar you could look at a Dolmar 7900.

It's going to weigh a little more than the 60cc saws, but not much more, and the 79cc really makes a difference. It will run a 24" bar with ease, and is nicely balanced with that size. I run a 28" on mine, but cut mostly big softwood. It could run bigger, especially with a skip chain.

They are a good quality German saw, similar quality to the Stihl and Husky.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

chevytaHOE5674

Forgot about the Dolmar 7900. I have a 6400 and it is begging for the 7900 piston and cylinder. A 7900 would pull a 24" bar nicely in hardwood.

underdog

Echo  CS-670 
   Echo  CS-8000 

Piston

I don't know much about the husky and dolmars but i have an MS361 and wouldn't recommend it to use with a 24" bar, unless you just want that bar length for the occasional large tree.  if your gonna be using most of that 24" more than just occasionally, i would definately step up to the 460.  if cost is an issue check out good used one for the same price as a new 361. 
i'm sure the other brands are just as good, whatever you get keep that chain sharp!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

rebocardo

I have owned and used Husky 365, 372 and 272. That series will do the job fine.

I loved my Husky 365s (bought two new), but, I decided to go to an older Stihl 066. You know the saying, there is no replacement for displacement  :D   I had a Husky 3120, way too heavy for normal work.

If you can justify the weight and cost, the 066/660 Stihl might be the way to go. My next big saw will probably be the 660.

missourilogger

how old are the 365 is it new
i Was here

and here

gizmodust

I've got a MS361 with a 24" bar and semi chisel.  Knocked down the rakers a bit and it seems to go through a 30" blackwalnut and some 20"hickory pretty good.  There again, a sharp chain makes the difference.  Remember, that's just my &0.02  ;)
Always liked wood with alot of character

missourilogger

i dont need a saw that can handle any thing bigger than a 24/25 inch bar and i need it for the occaional tree i think i will get a 361 when things pick up a little with deer season about over ill be able to go back to work were just people who cut on weekends for extra money but dont cut little stuff the smallest we fall for logs are about the size of a normal steering wheel on a truck thanks for the help
i Was here

and here

Piston

good choice, i think for only the occasional large tree the 361 is a good choice, i have only had mine for 2months now but love it.  also you'll see some threads about hard starts for this saw, i haven't had any of those problems and it always starts just fine.  good luck
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Captain

Dolmar 6400 and 7300 can handle it as well also.  Just not as well as the 7900.

Captain

missourilogger

what about the johnsared 2165 turbo are they any good
i Was here

and here

ladylake

I'd vote for a Dolmar 7900, same wieght as the 372 or 440 with the power of a 385 and more than a 460 at a reasonable price.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

rebocardo

I think you can still buy the 365 and 372 new, have not checked in a while.

Dave Shepard

My local Husky dealer has 4 372's. He said they are really, really, without question going to discontinue them this time. For real.  ::) I wouldn't mind one, but I've got more important things to get. :-\
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Cut4fun

I know where there is some used and new saws for sale if someone was interested. Just passing on the info, none of the saws are mine and pricing will be through Pm's if you are interested.

Dolmar 7900 , Like new 20" bar and new chain 375.00
350.00 PHO + shipping or pick it up...That  I have been using for chain testing really strong stock saw. I want this saw myself, but cant justify it with all the others already.

EHP 5100, spun crank bearing has been fixed, still has issues running. Carb?

Brand new in da box Dolmar 5100.

Jonsered 2149 freshly woods ported with new OEM piston. $300 with 16" b+c and shipped to lower 48.

Husky 2100 full wrap race ported, has carb issues and tank needs a good cleaning. Cut great and fast for 1 cut but starts to go lean into 2nd cut.

SawTroll

Quote from: underdog on January 03, 2009, 09:52:55 AM
   Echo  CS-670 
   Echo  CS-8000 

Not at all....... :D :D :D
Information collector.

underdog

Quote from: SawTroll on January 08, 2009, 07:20:42 PM
   Echo  CS-670 
   Echo  CS-8000 

??? Does that mean no one else suggested or that they are not good picks.
I looked at saws until i was dizzy and decided Echo CS-530 should be my next saw.
Have i made a wrong decission?

Cut4fun

Sometimes you have to overlook the saw snobs out there. If you are a homeowner firewood cutter. Get your saw and enjoy.

John Mc

Quote from: Cut4fun on January 08, 2009, 02:30:53 PM
I know where there is some used and new saws for sale if someone was interested. Just passing on the info, none of the saws are mine and pricing will be through Pm's if you are interested.

Jonsered 2149 woods ported.

Would that be a Jonsered 2159 ? I didn't know they made a 2149.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Cut4fun

Jred 2149 is correct. 

JONSERED 2149    49.4cc   3.1 hp   11.0lbs   

http://www.jonsered.ws/2149.pdf

SawTroll

Quote from: Cut4fun on January 09, 2009, 07:33:31 AM
Sometimes you have to overlook da saw snobs out there. If you are a homeowner firewood cutter. Get your saw and enjoy.

Sort of true, but there is a very good reason that Echo doesn't usually publish power specs - and when they do (in OZ), they are obviously fake, as they seem to not know da difference between kW and hp..........
Information collector.

John Mc

Quote from: SawTroll on January 09, 2009, 02:01:23 PM
Sometimes you have to overlook the saw snobs out there. If you are a homeowner firewood cutter. Get your saw and enjoy.

Sort of true, but there is a very good reason that Echo doesn't usually publish power specs - and when they do (in OZ), they are obviously fake..........

There are junk saws and good saws, and everything in between. I think the point about "saw snobs" was not meant to offend those who actually NEED a pro saw. If you are a heavy user, or sue the saw to make your living, a good pro saw in the size range to fit the job is a good investment.

I think the point is to avoid the "Tim-the-Toolman-Taylor" syndrome (sorry for those who never caught that TV show -- he's the kind of guy who takes the turbo charger off his car and mounts it on his weed-whacker, or gets a 200 amp MIG welder when a 30 Watt soldering iron would do the job -- because it's the "manly" way to do it.) Not everyone needs to buy a pro saw, and not everyone who needs something in the pro line-up needs a 90+cc engine. (I'm not saying you are pushing that, SawTroll. It's just that some of us need to be reined in a bit when we're shopping for gadgets and tools... we tend to get carried away.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

stonebroke

Yeah but there is never a replacement for displacement when you have a really big log to honk on.

Stonebroke

Cut4fun

Thats what was meant John Mc, some push pro saws even when a homeowner dont need them. I was there once. I am Joe Harry homeowner that just needs a trim saw 33cc and storm damage clean up saw in 60cc. But now I have 4 stihl 084's and 2 dolmar 166's and 20+ other saws.
Why no reason except the Tim Taylor adrenaline rush of gtg racing and being able to show up and help friends with their firewood chores and being able to just rip cut anything in my path.   8)  :)

stonebroke

What, I thought a 084 was a homeowner saw. Don't you own a home.

Stonebroke

Cut4fun

Quote from: stonebroke on January 09, 2009, 07:22:11 PM
What, I thought a 084 was a homeowner saw. Don't you own a home.

Stonebroke

Better read my post slowwwwwly  ;),  I am Joe Harry homeowner .

missourilogger

the maximum i need my is a 24" bar i dont think i really want a 372 yet so a 361 stihl, 2165 jonsered (if i can find a dealer around here), or a 365 husky if i can get one new
i Was here

and here

trouba

Quote from: SawTroll on January 08, 2009, 07:20:42 PM
   Echo  CS-670 
   Echo  CS-8000 

AH SawTroll let up you know those ECHO'S are good saws that CS-670 is a great saw and I own a CS-8000 and can tell you first hand it's rock solid dependable. For the money you cant beat them. I'm not saying Stihl or Husky are bad but I am saying ECHO isn't bad either.
Echo CS-306 12in bar
Echo CS-370 16in bar
Echo CS8000 36in bar
Homelite 360 24in bar
JONSEREDS 49SP locked up now, (went through flood)
Troy Built 6ft pole saw 8in bar

Warm Morning (The Hog Feeder)
Lopi Answer (insert)
Jotul #8
MTD 20 Ton splitter

cheyenne

Look at the husky 359 w/20" & 24" bar it will take more abuse than you can give it and the price is right......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

trouba

Sometimes you have to overlook da saw snobs out there. If you are a homeowner firewood cutter. Get your saw and enjoy.

Sort of true, but there is a very good reason that Echo doesn't usually publish power specs - and when they do (in OZ), they are obviously fake, as they seem to not know da difference between kW and hp..........

SawTroll I assume you mean the other company's numbers are fake, or maybe just meaningless.

Statement from ECHO.

Horse power is not the best way to rate a 2 stroke engines power. When comparing the performance of two-stroke engines, going by horsepower is not really an accurate way to determine the performance capabilities of a unit. The reason for this, is that there are no industry standards set for rating the horsepower of a two-stroke engine. Due to the fact that there are no set standards, this allows too may variables to come into play allowing for possibly an incorrect or misleading horsepower rating. ECHO does not publish horse power ratings.

I can also confirm this holds true with cars boats trucks ect, HP ratings don't mean squat. Have you noticed in the small engine catalogs like northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company aren't rating their small engines by HP only anymore. Here's another scenario have you ever been to the drag race's only to see the car with the smaller motor with less HP win? How could that be that car was junk because its motor didn't produce as much HP, humm seems like there are some other variables that should be considered like maybe torque for one. Ask any ECHO user and they will tell you ECHO'S have lots of low end power. My CS-8000 has no trouble pulling a 36in bar in some very hard oak or locust even with my 225lb leaning on it and I don't mean cutting some 8in sticks I mean buried in some 38 40 inch wood. So maybe ECHO has decided to stay out of the so called bogus HP rating war and just make great dependable saws that sell themselves, and I don't think anyone can make a case that ECHO's are shelling out left and right. More like that Timex slogan they take a licking and keep on ticking  or err cutting.
Echo CS-306 12in bar
Echo CS-370 16in bar
Echo CS8000 36in bar
Homelite 360 24in bar
JONSEREDS 49SP locked up now, (went through flood)
Troy Built 6ft pole saw 8in bar

Warm Morning (The Hog Feeder)
Lopi Answer (insert)
Jotul #8
MTD 20 Ton splitter

ladylake

Don't mind Troll to much, he's never ran a Echo saw. Over here I have Echo, Husky, Stihl, Solo and a Cub Cadet and I can tell you that stock Echo's cut faster per cc than home owner Stihl and Husky saws and a little slower than thier best Pro models, like my CS6700 (67cc)  with a small muffler mod is 1 second behind my stock 044 Stihl (70CC) in a 20 second cut. Pretty much the same between my CS8000 and 385xp Husky, the CS8000 might be 2 seconds slower but has 5 less cc's.  Far as HP rating how about the Stihl MS260 at 3.2 HP compared to a Stihl MS290 at 3.8 both published numbers fron Stihl yet they cut almost the same. I'd think Stihl puts the bigger number on the 290 to help sales of a saw that is cheap to make.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

missourilogger

Quote from: cheyenne on January 12, 2009, 11:26:01 PM
Look at the husky 359 w/20" & 24" bar it will take more abuse than you can give it and the price is right......Cheyenne
we got a 359 it wont take a 24 well for pin oak and thats mostly what we cut
i Was here

and here

cheyenne

I cut red & white oak all the time never had a problem. What chains are you using......Cheyenne

missourilogger

Quote from: cheyenne on January 13, 2009, 06:55:02 PM
I cut red & white oak all the time never had a problem. What chains are you using......Cheyenne
full square chisel
i Was here

and here

ladylake

Quote from: missourilogger on January 13, 2009, 05:04:54 PM
Quote from: cheyenne on January 12, 2009, 11:26:01 PM
we got a 359 it wont take a 24 well for pin oak and thats mostly what we cut

Seems like a MS361 wouldn't be that big a step up from you 359. I'd think a Husky 372, Stihl 440 or 460 Dolmar 7900 or a Echo670 (under $500) with a muffler mod would be the way to go.     Steve

missourilogger

i Was here

and here

cheyenne

I meant what brand or mfg. some chains are softer than others and won't hold an edge in hard wood as long as others.But it may be a sharpness factor also. I use all husky chains and have never had a problem. I support my dealer.....Cheyenne

missourilogger

sorry i misunderstood what my dad said (its his saw i have a 310) it can take a 24 inch bar but he dont need it 

If i know n a 310 could take a 2 foot bar i wouldnt buy a new one but sill might buy a 361 or something like that
i Was here

and here

SawTroll

Quote from: trouba on January 12, 2009, 11:39:19 PM

SawTroll I assume you mean the other company's numbers .....

What I refer to is not company numbers, but the ones that are on a certain OZ web-site that have been referred to lately, and obviously are mistaken. it looks like they post the hp numbers as kW ones, and that sure leads to some intersting results when they calculate the factor of 1.34 in another time.......
Information collector.

olyman

Quote from: missourilogger on January 03, 2009, 09:02:40 PM
i dont need a saw that can handle any thing bigger than a 24/25 inch bar and i need it for the occaional tree i think i will get a 361 when things pick up a little with deer season about over ill be able to go back to work were just people who cut on weekends for extra money but dont cut little stuff the smallest we fall for logs are about the size of a normal steering wheel on a truck thanks for the help
please put periods, or some sort of break in your sentences--makes for hard reading

Engineer

You might as well have asked about Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge.  Or maybe John Deere vs. Kubota vs. New Holland.  There is NO good answer.  You need to go to several dealers, preferably someone who has a good rep for service, and pick up different saws to get a feel for them, maybe try them out if the dealer will let you.  There are dozens of saws available that will run a 24" bar occasionally, but might be better suited with a 16" to 20" bar for more frequent use.  The smallest you probably should consider is probably in the 55-60 cc range.  A larger saw will simply cut faster and make you more efficient, but it will tire you out faster.  All of the manufacturers make some excellent saws, and all of them make some real pigs that would be better suited to boat anchors.

Back about 20 years ago I was looking for my first saw.  I had grown up using my Dad's old 1968 vintage Homelite Super XL.  That thing turns your knuckles white and has no anti-vibe at all.  I went to a local Jonsereds/Echo dealer that had an excellent rep (and he still does) and picked up and tried out some of the Jreds and an Echo.  I hated them.  They felt like I was trying to cut wood with a wet noodle.  The antivibe made them seem floppy and uncontrollable.  I went with a Stihl saw because it felt more 'solid' like the old Homie.   If I had just bought the Jred saw, I'd have probably been happy with it, but it's got to feel right to ya, and those sure didn't. 

Having said that, last week I used a Husky 372XP and a Stihl 361, neither of which was my saw.  I've spent enough time with good anti-vibe on saws in the last four years that picking up the Husky (same as a Jonsereds 2171, or darn close) did not feel nearly as uncomfortable as I thought it would, but the Stihl saw still just fit me better.  So you need to decide which saw's gonna be right for you, and not what one of us here thinks you should get.

missourilogger

Quote from: olyman on January 27, 2009, 09:00:41 AM
Quote from: missourilogger on January 03, 2009, 09:02:40 PM
please put periods, or some sort of break in your sentences--makes for hard reading
ok, sorry i'll start doin that.
i Was here

and here

missourilogger

Quote from: Engineer on January 27, 2009, 02:37:52 PM
You might as well have asked about Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge.
oh thats ford all the way 8) :D :D :D :D
i Was here

and here

okie

OHHH, Since you like fords you would probably love a 40cc poulan for your needs :D
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

ely

or since you are pushing you may as well use a crosscut saw. ;D

rebocardo

> I can also confirm this holds true with cars boats trucks ect, HP ratings don't mean squat.

Actually, for newer cars and trucks they do. You will notice in ads it will say something to the effect of "SAE HP350/TQ 425". The engines are actually tested under strict conditions with an SAE engineer present on a production motor.

missourilogger

thats good guys but seriously guys you all know that ford is first on race day  8) ;D smiley_horserider
i Was here

and here

okie

Maybe, but Chevy's first on not leaving you on the side of the road day ;D.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: okie on January 27, 2009, 06:56:03 PM
Maybe, but Chevy's first on not leaving you on the side of the road day ;D.

+1.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!