iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable Edgers

Started by TwinCut, January 02, 2009, 01:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwinCut

I was hoping someone could direct me towards a good portable edger. I would be looking for something for up to 4" x 16 or so. Suggestions?

Banjo picker

Welcome to the forum Twincut.

I am in the same boat as you, I need about the same thing.  Maybe some of the folks that have one will chime in.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Warren

Cooks Saw makes a 4" edger.  I think Baker offers a 4" as well.  Have had a 2" Baker edger for 2 years with zero issues.
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

TwinCut

Thanks for the tips Warren. What kind of power do you have on your Baker, gas, diesel or electric? Is it enough? Have you had much of a call to need more than the 2" capacity? I see that Select Sawmill is offering a new edger with a computer control and presets for board width. How is the Baker adjusted?

Lots of questions, I know. I just haven't ever had the chance to work with one, try'in to do my homework!

Warren

TC,

My Baker 2" Edger has a 20hp Honda gas engine on it. The 20hp Honda is plenty of power for me.  I am generally "pitching and catching" by myself,  so even pulling both blades in 2" oak it still saws as fast as I want to go. 

For 95% of what I do the 2" cut is fine.  From time to time, I saw 4x4's in oak and cedar.  It would be handy to be able to saw out a 4" thick flitch on the Woodmizer and then run the 4" flitch thru the edger in one pass to produce a 4x4 that is perfectly square. 

On the Baker Edger, the right hand blade is fixed, the left hand blade is movable. The one feature that swayed me to the Baker was that it has a movable fence to the right of the right hand blade with a scale from 0 to 8".  If you have a wider flitch with one straight edge, and you are cutting narrow stock, say 1x4's you can set the two blades for 4", set the fence for 4" and knock out two boards in one pass.  Since the scale is set from 0" to 8", you can also accurately edge out boards smaller than the 3" minimum between the two blades by using the fence and the fixed blade.  Like tomato stakes or survey stakes.

The only complaint I have is that the stock 10 tooth blades will cause a little tear out on the back side of 1" cedar if I run the feed rate too fast.  I had the folks at Menominee Saw (on the left) build a pair of 20 tooth blades for less tear out in cedar.  But I haven't made time to put them on the edger yet to test them.

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Dave Shepard

We have a Wood-Mizer Twin blade edger at work. It is only a 2", however. I am pleased with it. It has the 26 HP Perkapiller (Cat  ;D ) enigne. It has two speeds, and I was told I'd probably have to put it on the slow pulley for hardwoods, but have run 2" black locust and white oak through it on high. It does grunt, though. :D It does a very good job, but I wouldn't mind a movable fence, as this one is stationary. The other mill I work at sometimes has a Chase, it has flip up fences in 2" increments, a nice feature.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SCSawyer

could an old frick ,miner or other edger be made portable ? how much hp to operate ?
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

Thank You Sponsors!