iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT 15

Started by robbshowe, January 02, 2009, 05:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbshowe

I have been asked to mill a large number of trees on site and wondered if any one has transported a similar machine and how they did it.  I can borrow a friends 3.5T low load trailer but is their such a thing as a woodmizer trailer specifically for this job.  Any advice would appreciated.

chestnut

Checkout the Woodmizer web site. They have a nice load assist kit for LT15. If your handy you can probably make your own and save some coin.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the forum chestnut!

Wood-Mizer offers a trailer kit for their LT-15 mill. It can also be loaded into a pickup of flatbed truck with one or two people.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

I know it has been mentioned on here, I think by Marty Parsons, that an lt15 can easily be loaded into a pickup by 2 people, and with a little ingenuity, by one.  They come new packaged up from the factory so they can be slid into a pickup.  I'll send Marty a message to look at this and give us some particulars.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

I've seen them loaded into a pickup on the Wood-Mizer movies. You move the carriage to one end so you can get the track into the truck, then push the carriage up the track into the truck. I believe the track sections are 6'8". Looks like it works slick.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bull

When I had mine, I loaded it on a p/u,an 18' landscape tralier, a 4 wheel haywagon and a 24' flatbed tow truck all worked slick can be done by one person just works easier with more help.

robbshowe

Thanks for the advice.  I have  Nissan Navara pick-up truck so will probably go down this route.  I also have  Massey-Ferguson 135 equipped with a fork-lift adapter on my front loader and also a mast type fork-lift attached to the three point linkage at the rear.  Getting it on shouldn't be a problem. In fact I think the client has a John Deere compact tractor with loader at the site!  That just about covers it - thanks to all!

MartyParsons

I was asked to update you guys on the way to move a LT15. Some of the owners of LT15 have already answered some of these.
Wood-Mizer did manufacture a trailer kit for the LT15 but they no longer offer it. It worked well but was expensive to manufacture. We sold many of these in our area because I liked them and always had a mill on demo with the trailer. I am not sure if the Poland Wood-Mizer had or have these available. Being you are in Scotland your LT15 may be different than the US.  ???.
We move the LT15 quite often about 2 shows a month. Sometimes we have a fork lift sometimes we do not. If you have a tractor or a fork lift this is the best way to load on a truck bed. But about half of the shows we do we load by lifting the mill with man power. The LT15 weight is about 1000 lb. We remove the tail gate, the saw head would be at the other end away from the truck, it is best to have three people, a truck driver and two lifters. Lift the LT15 mill bed up and back the truck under. The saw head has locking pins to secure the head to the frame. ( keeps it from rolling) How far to back the truck under the frame depends how steep you want to push the saw head up the track. Unlock the pin and push the head into the truck, lock the saw head in place and go to the other end and pick up. The mill should be balanced so this should be easily done.
I have seen this done with one person, and it would be even easier with a small trailer.
There are other options. Wood-Mizer has a load assist kit. it has a winch and tires and wheels that mount on the mill frame. Here is a link to the clip.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PfXjTqk9sc
Marty
We also have a fork pocket clip that fits on the bed section.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Jeff

The clip link apparently has embedding disabled, but if you keep clicking on it, it will take you right to the youtube site where you can then view it.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!