iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Many Old Engine people here???

Started by Harold, July 20, 2003, 12:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold

Do we have any old hit and miss engine collectors here?  If so what do you have?  Is it still in use, Belted to a buzz rig?

Harold

Jeff

Welcome Harold. Well as of yesterday I am now an old engine guy. ;D

Me and my new old Ottawa drag saw. Just got back from the engine show again. wait till you see my big ass saw pics. 8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

I gotta itty bitty model one that runs. Could belt it to cut kindling, I'd reckon. Can't remember the name of the big time, original it was patterned after, though???
  Them things are killers. Never knew an OLD farmer that had used one a lot. They were hard to start and you would kill yer self cranking !!! :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Harold

Jeff and I seen a little model M international running a model drag saw rig.  Hope Jeff got pictures of it.

Harold

Jeff

Thats the first place I headed. The guy had drug up and was gone. :-[  I wanta build one of those!

Fla._Deadheader

Mines got MAYBE 6" flywheels??? Hafta dig it out someday and fire it up. I believe the guy was from Ohio that made up the castings and built these things. Maybe it's an "Associated"???
  My Dad collected about 200 of them. Bought and sold till he died. There ain't many I haven't heard of, but, with my memory, I could only name a hunnerd or so :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Harold

Her is what followed me home yesterday, Wife not to pleased but I've been in worse spots before.

dail_h

Wimmin jest ain't very understanding creatures somtimes bout nessities is they?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Jeff

Tammy actually bought might purchase that day. Finally got me a drag saw. Aint had a chance to play with it yet or clean it any but it sure do look purty to me. ;D

Harold

AHHH! another one bitten by the bug!  It won't be long now, Engine shows trailer loads of engines and logging stuff, There just won't be enough weekends (to do the honey do list).  This is a disease, you can not have just one engine, Soon it will be an obsession, Do not resist you are possesed. :D :D :D :D
Harold

Ron Wenrich

They had a saw like that at the Lumberman's museum back on the 4th.  His was run from a small Farmall tractor.  Not sure if it was PTO or belt driven.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Grampa_Joe

I've got three old stationary engines. Two internationals and a larger one that is the forerunner to JD. Don't pay much attention to them, but always told Nancy I was going to build a merry-go-round with the larger one. I got them all in auctions and pieces ,but put them together and they work.( unbelievable).
Grampa Joe

Harold

Well if you ever have the urge to part with them let me know,  I am always looking for an excuse for a road trip.

Harold

Jeff

Harold, I bet if you took a tree with you you could make a swap. Grampa Joe is in North Dakota and I think he and member Mark done did cut up the tree they had. :D

Harold

With no trees to cut must leave lots of time to fish that awsome Devils lake they got out yonder.  Sure would like to drop line there some day. ;D

D._Frederick

As a boy, we had 2 or 3 of them that we used on the farm. I remember the makes as: Olds and IH. The old farms ruined the engines by running them out of cooling water, It ruined the rings. Also the ones that had a open crank case had problems with lubing the connecting rod bearing, I never saw one of this type engine that didnot have the bearing hammered out. When in good shape, they were not that hard to start.

The STEAM-UP at Brooks Or. will be the last week end this month.

Mark M

Harold have you ever been to the Steam Threshers Reunion in Rollag Minnesota? They have more of the those old engines than you can shake a stick at. Its held every Labor Day weekend and well worth the drive.

Here is a link to a few picture I took the last time I went.

http://www.pbase.com/mmathys/rollag

Mark

Paul_H

Welcome Harold.
I don't have any old engines yet,but I keep my eye out for them,and expect to have some one day.

Have you seen this link? A person could get lost in there.

Harry's Old Engine Page

Jeff,
Good find on the drag saw,it's got me coveting. :-/
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bro. Noble

I used to mess with those old engines.  Sold all but 6 or 8.  My best one is an upright Novo that came off of a fuel truck.  It's got a double pump mounted to it.  
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tagerts_crossing

I see that paul h already gave the link to harrys old engine page that site is great you can get lost for days on that one.  I to collect old iron tractors and equip. and engines too.  
John Schoolcraft

Mike_P.

Jeff:  
Congratulations on finding the drag saw.  I think those are getting rare.  Before you know it, you will be buying tractors and dozers and will need a new pole barn.

Harold:
I am not into old engines but do have some old crawler tractors.  I think that I would enjoy the engines, but have never run across one at the right time.  The right time being defined as to when Jeanette will allow me to make a purchase.

Another good engine and tractor show is the Tri-State in Portland, IN.  It will run 8/26-30 this year.

Thanks,

isawlogs

I don't have one yet but we do have one on the baler on the farm...I can remember dad turning that thing over and it firiring backwords...outch...He sure was happy when we got the power take off on the tractor ...(got the baler with it ) Some day I will get one but Renée will need a lot of convinsing The TO DO list will have to be dang short if not none existing....
    Jeff  that is a nice saw I seen one like it at the Eastern Ontario plowing match a few years ago...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Well, I got my drag saw running tonight. Didn't take much effort and it run good. I sure wish I new an oldtimer around here that could teach me how to set and sharpen my old saws. I have several that are plenty good enough to use, and I sure would like to get the drag saw blade in ship shape so it could be run fer fun. :)

Jeff

We may meet harold up at the old engine show in waloon lake this weekend. Those things are fun.

The following weekend, starting the first Tammy and I will be playing giligan. we will be out on Lime island working as DNR volunteers.

THEN!!! the next week end is the picinic (spelled like I pronounced it) 8) :)

chet

Better git dat drag saw ship shape before da (picinic). I was hope'n ta see it cut up da wood fur da campfire fur us ta roast dem weeenies.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!