iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ever seen one of these?

Started by devonoak, December 31, 2008, 07:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devonoak

hi folks, this is a forestor tom sawyer made in the uk early 90s. I use it a lot.

Jeff

Hello there devonoak  :)

That's an interesting looking hunk of equipment.  What make is that sawmill?

I've fixed your first photo for you and placed it back in your post. We have a rule about photos being of a certain size and making sure they are on the Forestry Forum server so they always work.  :)  To learn how to do that for future photos, simply click on the help link.  Learning how to optimize your photos, and using that skill on your website will make your site load in seconds rather then minutes. You have some neat stuff on your site.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

devonoak

Ah sorry about that, not the most technically competent bloke on the planet. It's a Forestor Tom Sawyer made in the early nineties. I've put a 50hp perkins on it which uses less than 5 galls of diesel a day and it runs 4" bands. (19'8 long) on 36" pulleys. I like it and I'd put more photos up but can't be bothered to work out how to do it properly and don't want to inconvenience you!!! ;D. so happy new year to you all, Tom

Jeff

I was thinking you meant the truck was called a Forester Tom Sawyer.  Is the mill made in The U.K. then?

thecfarm

No I have not.Welcome to the forum,devonoak.I guess that is a Unibog with a grapple?A nice way to load your logs on to the mill.That's a good size log you are putting on.It that just about the biggest size it will cut,without a big problem?Please post more pictures.Yes.it's alittle bother,but you probaly know someone with dail up.It really takes a long time for pictures to load with out downsizing them first.Without downsizing them it takes about an hour for me to get a picture through my email.Downsize is a few minutes.I have told some people no more pictures unless you learn how to down size them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Why isn't that Unimog tipping over,? thats some log,and some mill.Oh welcome Devonoak,thats a heavy mill,show us more when you get the chance.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

devonoak

Yeah no longer, sadly, forestor get narrow band mills made in Poland now, they don't look half the machine that this fella is. The truck is a unimog u1100 made in Germany in 1980. I've changed it now for a bigger crane with highseat controls on a heavier chassis ( the process of continuous improvement...)

devonoak

Hi folks and thanks. Yes a heavy log, but also a heavy mog. And indeed a heavy mill, about 4 tons, ok to pull with the landcruiser or larger!!

devonoak

Oh I cant find the info on photos anywhere, i give up! But lots more photos on www.devonoak.co.uk of buildings, sawing, etc. You can see what we get up to in rural england!

thecfarm

It's on the top of the page,right under,Show New replies.Click on to "help" and scroll down to Posting Pictures On the Forum.Looks like a lot at first but it quite easy.Would enjoy seeing more pictures of rural England.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

devonoak

ok I'll give it a go........ wait on......

devonoak

Create / order my albums     Modify my albums     My profile     Sort my pictures

Home My gallery Upload file FAQ Logout [devonoak]

Album list Last uploads Last comments Most viewed Top rated My Favorites Search

Error
Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files

Create / order my albums

Powered by Coppermine Photo Gallery

Thats how far i got!

devonoak

Hi Folks. Got a bit bogged down with the photo thing there. Still can't do it.
Quote from: thecfarm on December 31, 2008, 08:07:05 AM
No I have not.Welcome to the forum,devonoak.I guess that is a Unibog with a grapple?A nice way to load your logs on to the mill.That's a good size log you are putting on.It that just about the biggest size it will cut,without a big problem?Please post more pictures.Yes.it's alittle bother,but you probaly know someone with dail up.It really takes a long time for pictures to load with out downsizing them first.Without downsizing them it takes about an hour for me to get a picture through my email.Downsize is a few minutes.I have told some people no more pictures unless you learn how to down size them.
The biggest log it will cut is about 3' across( a bit more if you're prepared to fiddle around). That one was probably 24 inches. I have some photos of a big deodara stick on there which dwarfs the mill . And another, for Frank c of the unimog lifting it ( and tipping over!)
  Sorry can't put them up though. I've made the pictures as small as I can and they're still too big for the site parameters. All the best, Tom

WildDog

Welcome Tom, checked out your site, you blokes sure are talented, thats the most impressive framing I have seen.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! The photo thing isn't bad at all once you get the hang of it.

Looks like you've done some neat projects. I like the idea of the low cost, locally sourced housing. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

stonebroke

devon oak

Are your oaks the same as ours ? Just wondering.

Stonebroke

Jeff

devonoak,  please try again on the photo thing.  I may have come up with a solution for what has been stopping you from having success in uploading.

clouserfarm

Welcome, no I have not seem one like that but looks like it will do the job. We make our own sawmills too. In fact We have sent 5 to South America last year. We are sawing on an upright we built with a 25 hp electric motor paired with an old Farquhar carriage that we put air dogs on. The machine uses a 2" band and is definately not a one man rig! You can see our web page at  www.sawmills-band.com

any mori info on the loader outfit you are using?[/size][/b][/i][/b]
Senior partner in Clouser farm Enterprises in Madisonburg, Pa

devonoak

Quote from: stonebroke on January 01, 2009, 04:07:20 PM
devon oak

Are your oaks the same as ours ? Just wondering.

Stonebroke
Don't know. Think they are quercus Robur. We have two types of deciduous oak which look very similar. We call them pendunculate and sessile. (I think thats to do with the way they make acorns.....maybe)

Quote from: Jeff on January 01, 2009, 06:49:50 PM
devonoak,  please try again on the photo thing.  I may have come up with a solution for what has been stopping you from having success in uploading.

I think the problem's my end jeff. My photo program (windows) wont let me make the pics the size you want them. Let me know your 'fix' though and I'll happily give it another try.

Thanks for your praise/encouragement on the work front guys. We enjoy it!

devonoak

Quote from: clouserfarm on January 02, 2009, 09:20:54 AM
Welcome, no I have not seem one like that but looks like it will do the job. We make our own sawmills too. In fact We have sent 5 to South America last year. We are sawing on an upright we built with a 25 hp electric motor paired with an old Farquhar carriage that we put air dogs on. The machine uses a 2" band and is definately not a one man rig! You can see our web page at  www.sawmills-band.com

any mori info on the loader outfit you are using?[/size][/b][/i][/b]

I really like your hydraulic sawmills. Are you interested in having a british dealership? Send me an email if you would to tom@devonoak.co.uk with some prices etc and we could possibly do business together. Are you in PA? I'm hoping to come to the States for a bit in the summer, buy a camper and truck around a few likeminded woody types. Perhaps I could come and see your setup? Cheers, Tom

Also; loader outfit.... do you mean the Mog? or telescopic handler. I use a Mercedes unimog U1700 chassis with Palfinger PK11000 high seat crane and grab. Also an old Liner Giraffe telescopic which is all but obsolete.

Log-ic

Hi, I just added a new album with some pictures of my Tom sawyer before and after refit.  Runs great!
Pezzolato HD8 40HP diesel (2" bands) and Pezzolato MP-800 40HP Deutz diesel (4" bands)
Avant 635TDL articulated loader with various attachments
Loroch JLM-V sharpener, manual saw setting pliers
Vollmer VWM planing bench and rolling machine
Husqvarna chainsaws...

Jeff

Note: The Forestry forum galleries, as spelled out in our rules, are only to be used for hosting photos that are placed within a post. They are not to be used to say "Hey, go look at my gallery" sort of situations. If the photo is not put in a post, then it should not have been uploaded and needs to be removed. The Forestry Forum wants to make sure there is never a broken link to a photo, that is why we demand they be uploaded to our server, but we also must be prudent for the space we have, which means, don't upload photos unless they are going IN a post.

Log-ic

@ Jeff: sorry about that, you are right. However, adding pictures isn't very simple if you aren not familiar with the procedure!

Well, it looks as I found it now.  Hopefully I will not have forgotten next time i want to post a picture..

For a movie you can check on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk2rOXLRANw
Pezzolato HD8 40HP diesel (2" bands) and Pezzolato MP-800 40HP Deutz diesel (4" bands)
Avant 635TDL articulated loader with various attachments
Loroch JLM-V sharpener, manual saw setting pliers
Vollmer VWM planing bench and rolling machine
Husqvarna chainsaws...

Jeff

Our system weeds out the wannabes and makes for a forum that is still relative after 15 years.

beenthere

log-ic
There are several threads where moving a pic from your gallery to your post are explained. And likely you have just missed seeing them.

Go to your post where you want to add a pic from your gallery.
Click on the line below that says "Click here to add Photos to post" and a second window will pop up.
At the top are some menu buttons. Click on the "My gallery" button (tab) and you will be taken to your gallery where you already have posted pics (several duplicates so this is likely the step that you have missed).
Click on the pic in your gallery that you want to post, and it will enlarge. Then you just need to SCROLL down that page to where you will see the button "Insert image to post" and answer the yes/no question. Your pic will now be in your post and you can close your gallery window, click on "Preview" to double check that all is how you want it, and then click on "Post".
Should be all there is to it.
But I know very well how small, easy steps can be easily missed and it then is a huge and major gap.
Let us know at what point you get tripped up and we'll give you a boost.

I see you have it now.. smiley_thumbsup
:)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!