iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Ellmoe-Burlkraft bowl

Started by Tom, December 30, 2008, 04:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I was sitting in the yard swing this afternoon, talking with a neighbor who came to visit, when the UPS truck drove up.  I figured it was something else that the wife had bought from HSN and didn't get too excited.  The driver brought a box to me and left.  It had a label on it from Truck Part City.  You all know where that is, we all do. It's a BurlKraft experience that shares some of the same floor space as Eggimann. 

I opened the box and found another box. I was looking at the bottom of it. I opened that box and removed bubble wrap and paper to find the Christmas Contest bowl staring me in the face.  I knew as soon as I saw it, what it was.

Down in the bottom of the second box, which was really the top, was a note from Steve (Burlkraft).  He wrote that Ellmoe, the winner of the bowl, had requested that it be shipped to me, from all of the Forum Members, in appreciation of my service.  I was flabbergasted.

In our positions as Admins, we have to be careful about how we associate ourselves with contests.  There have been some who would use every opportunity to lambast the forum if they could raise the doubt of any impropriety.  I know what Ellmoe wrote, but never gave it much thought.....  until the bowl appeared in my front yard. 

Ellmoe is a real sport.  I've met both he and his Dad several times and have the highest respect for them both.  Ellmoe has a world of experience in setting up a sawing business and just small business in general.  I'm sure you have been able to tell that from his posts.  His unselfishness shows, as much in his day to day life, as it has in the dedication of this bowl.  I will treasure that as much as the bowl.

It's a free-form burl bowl.  Burlkraft was almost being apologetic about its condition.  It's a little rough and some would consider it unfinished. Not me!  I have turned bowls and know what it is like to try and give form to a piece of wood that has "character".   Spalt, rot, borer trails and bark inclusions as well as squirrely grain propose some of the most challenging obstacles a bowl turner will ever experience.  If you overcome one in a challenging piece, the other gets you.  A burl has them all.   Oftentimes, with a burl, the art is as much in knowing when to stop as it is in forming the bowl.  This one is well balanced.  It has character without the so-called perfect polished finish.  It sits straight, is functional and adds interest to anything it may sit upon. 

You can see that the piano has a flame grain and is highly polished.  We are proud of it and its heritage as a family heirloom.  It is a Steinway Concert Grand, made in the 1920's, and called The Beast. It's finish is flawless.  It's figure is astounding.  Yet, the bowl, sitting atop of it, commands attention and holds its own.  The bowl, full of bananas, apples and other fruits and nuts, would fit on a dining room table and grace the presentation of a Turkey dinner just as easily.  I like it.

So thank you Steve, for your heartfelt donation to the Forum.  It will find itself in a home where it is wanted as long as I have it. 

And thank you Mark, for your unselfish assignment to me of an item that could have just as well graced your table.  And thank you for unselfishly including the members in the gifting.

And thank you "all members", as willful donators through Ellmoe, for being the heart-beat of the Forestry Forum.  It's you who have made it such a pleasurable place to be, and you who make the atmosphere one where moderation is seldom difficult.

CLL

Beautiful bowl, and couldn't have a more deserving owner. Thanks also to Ellmoe!!
Too much work-not enough pay.

beenthere

That bowl looks great there on the piano...and makes me want to hear that piano playin some tunes.  8) 8)

Tom...can you play like you write? That would be a double talent if so.   :) :)

Thanks to Steve and Mark, to honor Tom

Merry Christmas
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ellmoe

Your very welcome, Tom. Thank you for your kind words. I'll be coming to visit the bowl before too long. ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Woodwalker

I would like to see a close up of that bowl. It appears to be a very nice piece of wood.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Tim L

Tom ,

In the last couple of years observing your wisdom you have earned my respect . So when you tell us ellmoe and burlkraft are worthy of such praise thats the gospel as far as I'm concerned.
Do the best you can and don't look back

wi woodcutter

Tom,

Nice bowl-keep up the good work! :)
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

SwampDonkey

That's the type of bowl that gets a lot of conversation. I've seen some of Gordan's bowls, for example, they wouldn't hold cereal or peanuts too good. With all the figure, inclusions, open pockets, and green stain folded into a burl, a piece crafted from it will never be duplicated. Sure, the idea is the same, but each piece unique. Some of the most peculiar and 'holey' looking bowls have fetched several thousand dollars in the right gallery.

I'd have to say that bowl is something to be proud of and Tom sure has shown his pride. It was as much a pleasure reading about the experience as seeing the bowl sitting on that piano. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

That is a beautiful bowl!  Tom, you have some fine friends.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Warbird

Well done, Mark.  And good work, Steve.  :)

scsmith42

Tom, this is a great story - thanks for sharing.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Norm

Tom that's a great story and bowl.  :)

Now not to take anything away from it but wow that piano is beautiful. I'd love to hear the story behind it and better yet hear it played.

Jeff

I've sat at that piano and played a tune called "guess I'll go eat worms"  :) 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Jeff, not "Glow Worm"?  ::)

:D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

WOW! I don't know which is more beautiful, the bowl or the piano. And since I don't have to choose, I go with both. Thanks Tom, for all you do for us on the forum, and thanks Ellmoe for honoring Tom. That was very nice.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!