iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hello from a new member in Mississippi

Started by fishpharmer, December 29, 2008, 01:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

Hello from MS.  I have a homemade sawmill.  I still have a few details to work out.  I have plenty of standing timber.  I let a lot of Katrina wood go to waste as I took to long making the mill (part time). I still have some large timber, mostly loblolly pine and some large white oak.  I have too many sweetgum (does anyone have a use for it?). 

I farm fish (mostly channel catfish and some bass) and cattle (commercial cow calf) for a living and don't really have the time to work with the sawmill but, love it when I do.   I am sure I will have lots of questions.  Thanks for all the good info I have learned already as a guest.

I don't have enough time for the forum but look forward to getting to know you folks.

Thanks,
James
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Texas Ranger

Welcome to the forum, we southern boys are gaining on those Yankees that started this place, a few more and we can take over.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Welcome, fishpharmer.

Don't get so busy that you can't spend time on the forum. A fellow needs some entertainment in his life and we could use a dedicated fisherman here for answering questions.  We have some involved in those "stupid cows" too. :D

Don't be too quick to "get rid of" sweetgum, either.  that stuff can be beautiful and makes great bowls and furniture.  :)

Radar67

Welcome to the forum James. Are you up in the Delta?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beav39

welcome,great bunch of guys here alot of good info
sawdust in the blood

Banjo picker

Greetings fellow Mississippian,  I have learned a lot here, keep on asking questions and you will also.  Like Tom said about the sweetgum they are pretty on the inside.  They make a good cross tie if they are big enough. (12 in. on the little end inside the bark) You can sell all you can make up here, don't know about where you are.  From the post I would care to venture somewhere around Hattisburg or south of there.

My dad ran 30 registered black angus cows on this place in the 70's.

Tell us about your mill.   Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

fishpharmer

Thank you Texas Ranger, Tom, Radar67, Beav39 and Banjo picker for the warm welcome.   I like visiting other parts of the country but I reckon Mississippi can't be beat.    Tom, I know alot about fish, I really don't know alot about fishing, there is a difference.  Compared to ya'll I know nothing about sawmilling.  I knew there had to be some uses for sweetgum, I won't just get rid of it.  I hope this place is educational and entertaining.  From what I have read so far I am sure its both.  I haven't figured out how to post pics yet but will when I get the hang of it.  I  have rambled through some of the galleries.  Radar67 thanks for serving our great country,  I am sure many of you have done so.  Radar67 I really like that house you built, is it your design?  I live near Meridian, I have alot catfish farming friends in the delta.  I love duck hunting hardly ever go anymore.  I am sure its a bunch of good guys.  Anyone that likes the smell of fresh cut wood and hard work can't be bad folks.  Banjo picker your handle is something I always wanted to do.  I wanna learn to mill first.  Pickin is on my bucket list.  I read something about cross ties in a Cook Saw catalog (hope I can say that)  I got some blades from them.  Most of my cows are part angus my bulls are brangus.  I visited some stockyards in Nebraska and the owners said if the cattle are mostly black (regardless of true breed) he can sell them as "Angus Beef" that is so popular.

Truth be known, all things being equal except the color, once that hide comes off they all look about the same.

I know I will enjoy this place.  Just so you don't think I am ignoring you I usually leave the puter on and stay logged in.

After Katrina hit (we were without power for two weeks in Meridian).  It must have been a sawyers dream come true, I could have literally gotten all the logs I wanted for free.  I thought I need my own sawmill. Then I would never have to buy wood to fix fences and barns.  I hated seeing the wood go to waste.  Most folks couldn't give it away.  My uncle gave away fifty old pecan trees (strangely enough to an outfit from California) they were the only ones who would come and get it.  I couldn't stand seeing the waste and thought I could salvage some wood.  Trying to save money by building my own mill probably cost me alot in the long run.  Water under the bridge now.

My mill started with the Bill Rake plans I found online.  They seemed good enough and simple enough for me to build.  Course I couldn't leave them alone and changed most everything cept the basics.  I wanted it bigger and stronger.
I guess everyone will know I am redneck now that I am admitting it uses 31 inch diameter trailer tires as band wheels.

I suppose it will be simpler if I just give some specs.
Heck I can't remember without measuring, been awhile since I used it (2 year).  I may be a little off, no pun intended.

Horsepower 18 B&S Twin electric start, custum pipes (I am sure I need more HP to cut 48 inch oak)
Track length 20 foot (3/8 inch 3 by 5 angle)
Track cross pieces every 2 feet (3 by3 angle 1/4 inch)
Cutting width 48 inches (thought I could cut some big oaks)
About ten feet wide outside band wheels ( 31 diameter trailer tires)
Four post cutter head on v rollers
Electric winch cable raises and lowers cutter head
blades 1.5 inch by 21.5 feet long
Raises up 48 inches, track to blade (for big logs)
Blade guides are  mounted on one inch square tube and too flimsy.
Blades guides are roller bearings.

I cut up some 12 inch pines and had a blast.  Then I had a blade rise and jam on a 36 inch pine (knot) and that was the last thing I cut about two years ago.  I had six huge Katrina pines that rotted and a huge white oak, red oak and hackberry.  I just sawed the oak and hackberry for firewood and put the rotted pines in a gulley.  Still have a few red cedars.

So I need wood to build a barn and I have the itch to try and get it going or sell it and buy a manufactured mill.  I would just cut some big pines if I knew my mill worked and they wouldn't rot.

I apologize for the long post.  Any advice is appreciated.

James

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

isawlogs

Quote from: fishpharmer on December 29, 2008, 10:06:39 PM

I apologize for the long post.  Any advice is appreciated.

James

Type less  ;D 

Hey !!!  Welcome to the forum .  :D

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Warbird

Welcome to the greatest place on the Internet!

WDH

I cut some sweetgum this summer that had gorgeous figure.  Dried pretty straight, too. 

Welcome to the Forum, Fishman ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wi woodcutter

fishpharmer-welcome to the forum, hope you stay a while and have some fun!
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Banjo picker

Quote from: fishpharmer on December 29, 2008, 10:06:39 PM
  I live near Meridian,

I have got a concrete sign ( 6 ft x 10 ft ) thats going to Meridian in the back bay of the shop right now.  I just finished sandblasting it this week.  Got to paint it and it will be ready to deliver.  Its for Vulcan.  The lettering will be pms 280 blue.  I don't even know where their yard is down there yet, but when you see it.  I made it. ;D

Don't let it get you down just because a blade took off on you.  Thats how we ended the day this evening.  Only ours went down instead of up.  We were using 11/2 " blades.  Seems like the bigger blades don't give any warning.  We are going to try to do a better job of keeping up with the bf on a blade, and just change it even if its cutting fast.  No 2 son was going to get the rest of the day out of it....Mistake :(  Took a saw and wedge and got it out without damage...Already sharpened it and set it...l ;D 

The reason we liked the Angus cattle was small calves = few calving problem, no pink eye, and they are just plain hardy.  No cattle anymore , just horses and toooo many of them.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Don K

Welcome to the forum, James. Hurricane Ivan was the main reason I bought my mill.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Radar67

James, that little house is my design. It is a 16x24 two story shed/cabin. Meridian is only an hour and a half from me.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Slabs

REDNECKS FOREVER!!   Welcome to the forum Bro.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

brdmkr

Hey James.  Welcome to the forum.  I spent about 6 years pretty close to you.  I worked on the Tallahalla WMA in N of Baysprings and S on Newton.  Haven't been in that area in years.  When you get some time, I'd enjoy seeing some pics of your mill.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

fishpharmer

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I shot some pictures today of the homemade mill, how do I post?  Or where are the instructions.

Thanks

fishpharmer

'seek and ye shall find'

Okay I apologize.  Imagine. Of all the crazy places instructions would be, it was in HELP. ::)

wouldn't have found it if my wife hadn't told me :D

WildDog

A bit late but welcome Fishpharmer, sounds like you have a good lifestyle going on with cattle, fish and some milling thrown in.

Would be real interested in some pics when you get it sorted including your fishpharm setup.

We run a handfull of Angus, Murray Greys and have introduced a Santa Gertrudis bull this last season chasing some hybrid vigour. Black calves in my town realise a 10% premium, but our Murray greys weigh in about 10% heavier so it evens out. I did an aquaculture course hoping to include fish commercially but realised we're in one of the few areas in Australia thats too cold :(we can grow them, with less disease to but it takes twice as long.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

wwsjr

Welcome from another Mississippian. I am 20 mi east of Tupelo. I run a Woodmizer LT40 Super. I sawed about 100,000 ft of salvaged pine at Wakaway Springs Christian Camp near Meridian after Katrina. Sawed about 11,000 ft for Habitat from logs salvaged in Meridian neighborhoods. I worked on a vacant lot across from big sawmill just off I-20 toward downtown when sawing the Habitat wood. Welcome and come see us if you are up our way
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Tony

Hello and a belated welcome from yet another Mississippian. Located 8 miles North of Tupelo.

Tony  8) 8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Thank You Sponsors!