iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

price of tree length firewood per 10 wheeler load

Started by JJ, December 26, 2008, 03:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ

Hi,
I have been looking for tree length fire wood in southern maine, but firewood dealers I talk to only want to sale fully processed (split and delivered) wood for >$220 per cord green.

how much can I expect to pay for tree length hardwood delivered to Sebago?  I am looking for at least 10+ cords, green and some softwood mixed would be ok.

-JJ

SwampDonkey

What is pulpwood tree length worth down there? I would think in the order of $100 a cord delivered within 30 miles. Make sure to ask for a self loader, then you might do well to get 8 cord on the truck unless you have a loader at your yard to unload with. There may be a handling fee of $20-50 a cord or something if they have to do the unloading. It'll be short if it's a tandem load, probably 8 foot.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Maineloggerkid

JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

mike_van

JJ - Don't ask the firewood dealers - You want to talk to the loggers -  From what I've read, lots of mills are slow to stopped,  oil prices are in the cellar - Truck loads of firewood logs down here hit about 100/cord late last summer, they might come down though if oil stays low.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

SwampDonkey

Most loggers having dealt firewood on the side in their logging business will tell me it's a pain dealing with firewood. They don't know when they arrive if they can unload because of powerlines, or if they have to back into a tight space and try to unload. So many won't even touch firewood. If you have an aquantence that logs or a buddy you may have more luck. It's just those few loads the logger has to explain to the guy that you can't swing a 60 foot tree when your twenty feet from the powerline. or In between two close built houses, where do I set off the wood, let it slide down over the cab roof?

I know, always over analyzing. :D

But on price, I always bought it for $100-$110 a cord when the prices for pulp were higher than now.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zackman1801

up my way my uncle paid 900 for a truckload, from a friend of ours. he cut the wood just across the street from his house actually so trucking was nothing. I could get his number for you if your interested. hes based out of hartford ME so it might be costly to truck it down.

its usually around 100 a cord tree length around here.

i can see why loggers dont want to touch firewood, its too hard to do. If you truck it tree length its hard to unload in tight spots or get a truck to where people want it. If you cut and split your bound to run into people who dont agree with your cord vs their cord and the people who wont pay till its unloaded and then screw you over when they say they dont want all of it or the "well can i pay you sunday when i get my check?". Nope i either leave with money or wood you choose!
usually if loggers have to choose between pulp or firewood it gets sent to the mill too hard to handle it and with little return for your efforts. the mill pays on time and they take what you got.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Frickman

Wow, you guys are getting good money for your firewood logs. Around here we put about eight or so cords of hardwood on a triaxle and this winter the price is up to about $500.00. For years it hovered between $200.00 and $300.00.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

JJ

HI,
Thanks for advice from guys in the buisness.
I had planed for logs to be unloaded in very convent place (for me) but there is some overhead branches and nearby home 220V power line.
I have easier to unload locaton on both sides of my drive, and works almost as well for me.

When I want the wood is spring time, so will like to order for May delivery, and if logger gives reasonable date for delivery (Best with 2 week notice) I have no problem with paying cash on delivery.

JJ

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Frickman on December 27, 2008, 09:34:45 PM
Wow, you guys are getting good money for your firewood logs.

It's either buy it for pulp price or see it all go to the pulp mill. If it were only $500 a load than the trucker is the only one making money, since truckers charge about $350-450 delivery around here.

Maineloggerkid

JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

SwampDonkey

Your fuel is only half the price of ours, so it's all relative. Still, you going to cut 10 cord of wood for $250, which is less when logging costs are deducted? I'd rather be a Walmart greater.

Ron Scott

Our loggers here will often get more for delivery of a full trailer load of hardwood firewood than for a load of pulpwood. The hardwood firewood prices are better than the pulpwwod prices at the mill.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

I'm seeing that to Ron, as the pulp price has fell since 2005, but it hasn't been a lot more.

zackman1801

Quote from: Frickman on December 27, 2008, 09:34:45 PM
Wow, you guys are getting good money for your firewood logs. Around here we put about eight or so cords of hardwood on a triaxle and this winter the price is up to about $500.00. For years it hovered between $200.00 and $300.00.

$200-300 is what guys are getting for a cord of split wood round here. i wish i could get a pulp load of logs for that.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

MaineLogger

Quote from: JJ on December 26, 2008, 03:46:29 PM
Hi,
I have been looking for tree length fire wood in southern maine, but firewood dealers I talk to only want to sale fully processed (split and delivered) wood for >$220 per cord green.

how much can I expect to pay for tree length hardwood delivered to Sebago?  I am looking for at least 10+ cords, green and some softwood mixed would be ok.

-JJ
Hey JJ,
Keep an eye out for some local logging this winter,hardwood pulp markets are tightening fast.
As of today I'm still getting $130 a cord for 8ft. mixed hardwood pulp.Our local firewood guys only want to pay 110/115 a cord.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

Jake1297

To answer you question, I live in Western Maine about 75 miles from Sebago. Three years ago got a tri-ax truck load of tree length (11 cord) for $800, this year the price was $1100, still a deal. Contact Dixfield Discount Fuel and see if they deliver tree length to your area. It may cost more being you are further away.

gunman63

And up here in  northern MN, I whine when when i have to pay over $65-70 a cord delivered in, to run thru the processor.

SwampDonkey

Pulp must be low price, or market access restricted, or market a long ways off. Otherwise, why would a logger haul firewood tree length or 100" cheaper than pulpwood price? Up here unless your a logger with your own trucks, your at the trucker's mercy on trucking rates. Some of these characters will charge a cutter as much to haul a load 10 miles as 70 miles.

Old TimberCutter

Sold some back in the fall for $375 on a 10 wheeler, about 16 tons. It was all oak and thats delivered 20 miles out.

gunman63

Different up here in northern Mn., no pulp market for oak pulp, only aspen, birch, and spruce and balsam. most OSB board plants are closed with the housing slump, only one still going and they even shut down for lack of wood since it was a wet summer, most  of the apsen is $70-75 , but back running now,  but oak is only sold for firewood or logs. hauling is $15 a cord for 50 mile haul

Thank You Sponsors!