iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Thoughts

Started by Howdy, December 26, 2008, 10:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy

Merry Christmas 2008

This year I am grateful for all the things that before this week I may have been taking for granted.  The little things like: a good chair to sit in, clothes that are clean, a window to look outside with critters that are fun to see, tea that is warm, and shared responsibility of comrades working together. We have so much: warmth, food, friends, and a community of people who are not in mortal danger everyday, most have employment in these difficult economic times, and we all have loved ones who care.  The creature comforts we enjoy are fragile yet we don't consider how fleeting they can be until we miss them. 

Ice and snow currently cover the land with cars so buried that opening the doors was impossible even if it was not so dangerous to try to drive on the streets.  This year I am working for Portland General Electric in the call center answering telephone calls from people without power due to extreme weather conditions.  When the company called, I left home last week knowing it would be a many days before I would see my loved ones again.  We are responding to a major event and everyone who works here is on duty 12 – 16 hours a day everyday until it's over. I work my shift and feel lucky I don't need to sleep under my desk as the company has secured a few hotel rooms nearby for us who cannot get home.

The calls I handle come from folks suffering from the cold, worried about loved ones, and some are in life threatening situations.  They call and hope for the answer that we are on the job fixing their outage.  It gives me joy when I see on the computer that a crew has been assigned to them, that a warm Christmas is a possibility yet.  Most get the answer that we are working in the area, and while I cannot say when we will restore the power to their home it should be soon.  I hear all kinds of attitudes; most receive the news with resignation, some with pleasure after hearing good news, and a few with frustration.  The cranky ones want to complain and vent because they are uncomfortable and I understand this. It is part of the job and I can't complain about the small percentage of calls that no matter what we do—it isn't good enough.  These folks expect someone to fix what ails them because gone are the days of self sufficiency and can-do attitude.  Now we live in a society of entitlement rather than a 'pull yourself up by your own bootstraps'. 

Almost a week has passed and I am here at work on Christmas day thankful for a job yet missing the family time I treasure so much.  Soon the family will gather at Grandma's house as we have every year and share a pot of Christmas chili, deserts, and love.  We gave up on the idea of exchanging gifts last week but they may still play our gift exchanging games today and I will miss the fun.  Sniff. Sob. Waaa.

I remember one Christmas as a child sitting on the kitchen floor playing with my special gift—an electric train set. I never before imagined I would have such a wonderful thing as my family just did not have the resources to be so generous.  Around and around went the train, while I called out the "Woo Woo" sound which is no surprise to anyone who knows me. It may have been a simple circle of track but it was heaven to me.   What makes this different from other Christmases was that the electric power had been out for many days and I was pushing the train around the track myself across a floor covered with 3 inches of ice due to the water pipes having burst.  Mom had the ever popular 'pot o beans' soaking under a layer of ice hoping to have something to eat for Christmas dinner and we were wearing every scrap of clothing we owned.  This was one of the best Christmases I ever experienced, not because of the discomforts but because of the shared feelings of togetherness.  We did not have fancy bows and ribbons, or a goose cooking in the oven and trips to town to shop were not possible, yet we were together and knew things would be better soon.  Never did we have the thought that it was someone else's responsibility to rescue us or provide comforts we were lacking because everyone was in the same position.  I am sure if our lives were at risk there were places we could go or people who would come to our aid, but as long as we were able to make do—that is what we did. 

Our family was never rich, lots of times there we had nothing but Mom's ever present beans to eat yet we lacked for little. We were however wealthy in the most important ways; love, acceptance, kindness, and concern for others.  I am grateful for not having been born with a silver spoon because not having everything given to me enabled me to learn that hard work and perseverance will meet my needs. I have a life time of special memories: the smell of bread baking, Mom teaching me how to chop down a tree before I was old enough to go to school, building dams in a creek and no one worrying if I was going to drown, visiting my brother when he was in the Army, watching my sister graduate from school, working in Grandmother's garden (25 cents an hour if I worked hard and a penny per dandelion head however she never paid up),  going to church and getting to drink tea with ½ a cup milk, riding horses, and even attending a one room school with 6 grades a row per grade.  I am rich with experiences and memories that will enable me to live an even better life as my touch with reality lessens and I go through a second childhood.

Life is good. I am thankful for a God that loves me, a family that is happy, friends to care about, and a spirit of joy no matter what the day brings.  May the spirit of Christmas be with you all year.

WH_Conley

Well said, friend. Hope you get home soon.
Bill

Patty

Amen.    I think many of us here on the forum can relate to your thoughts. Many of us have memories similar to yours, that is why this is such a special place.  Be safe.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

jim king

Warbird

Thanks for posting.  As Patty said, amen.

thedeeredude

Very nice!  Hope you get home soon and may you have a Merry Christmas.

Thank You Sponsors!