iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long can spruce&pine logs lay decked

Started by customdave, December 26, 2008, 08:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customdave

Hi & seasons Greetings everyone.my name is dave I'm new to the forum& I would like to ask a couple or 50 questions ? . How long can spruce&pine logs lay decked up in the bush & still make good saw logs ? next if they are a year old, can I saw them with my 10 degree woodmizer blades, because I've heard you guys talk about 4 degree blades for frozen logs which I assumed were green, this is why I ask if these logs I'm waiting for have been down will they be dried somewhat . P.S. I just got rigged up with a computer a couple months ago & found this forum, I'm amased @ the knowlege here, I learned  a lot looking here already                                                                          Thankyou  Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Chuck White

Dave;
You shouldn't have any problems using the 10° blades, that is what I use for everything I saw.

When you come to the spruce, you will probably have to slow the feed rate down a little though.

AND, welcome to the forum.  You'll find lots of help and friendly people here.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sprucegum

Welcome  8)

How long they last will vary depending on what part of the world you are in. If they are frozen they will not degrade (much) till they thaw out in the spring. Down in the warmer climates you got that "blue stain" to worry about. Do a search on blue stain and you will find lots to ponder   ;)  :P

customdave

Thanks  Sprucegum I'M  from Pigeon Lake, Alberta; Logs are coming from Edson country                  Dave

SwampDonkey

If they have been out in the weather out of cover and bark on them expect some nice beetle holes, especially sawyer. I'm not sure how jack or lodge pole pine holds up against stain, but if ambrosia take a bite on them expect some sap stain possibly. As far as sawing I'll let the other lads pipe in.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_van

Dave - I'm sawing up some right now that went down in a storm this past June - I'm in grub-city right now, and the worst is, I knew better than to let them lay with the bark on.  Way up north, you might not be quite as bad, but boy, they sure like the weather here!  *#?!(%)>  beetles.  >:(
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

SwampDonkey

They are just as bad, if not worst.

I can here those b#$%$##ds chewing now....crunch crunch crunch. I've been on a fresh log pile and seen those buzzards dart bye looking for a place the lay some eggs.  :-X

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sprucegum

Small world, eh? I grew up in Winfield! My first job was peeling ties west of Edson! Being a scrawny little kid I didn't last very long  :-[

So...your logs are frozen solid - ya got nothing to worry about till April except how to keep your toes from freezing :D

There's a fella here does some milling at Alder Flats, maybe he'll chime in with some advise for ya.

sawdust

Customdave, I hang out at the lake alot! Family has had land there since 67. finally someone close enough to visit! Maybe Jeff can sanction a pig ham roast!

David
PM me, I was going to head out there on the 30th
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

customdave

[ ???Thankes  Swampdonkey ; I never thought about those pesky pine beetles,but do I only have to about the pine ,will they not bother the spruce logs . Man I hope not , I have 2 loads ordered @32-33 tons each. Mixed Pine& Spruce                                    Dave ???

SwampDonkey

Never mentioned pine beetles. Ambrosia, that I mentioned, can infest any wood. Sawyer beetles (grubs called round headed borer), with them long antenna, usually target softwood mostly and "Buprestids" (grubs flat headed borer-looks like a kernel of corn with a tail) hit hardwood, birch, aspen. There are both pine and spruce bark beetles in Alberta. Check your provincial Department of Natural resources website or Google "spruce pine beetle Alberta"

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/forests/health/insects/mountainpinebeetle.aspx

moonhill

I really dislike pine borers, they are just plain old bad, they cause a lot of grief for some people which falls on my shoulders.  The worst place for a "wood buzzard" is down the back of your neck, under your shirt collar,  it just makes me shudder to recall the experience.  Come June they start haphazardly bumbling around, they don't seem to have a direct flight plan, bumping into things(me) until they find what the want, fresh wood.

Logs left uncut are like a steak left on the counter uncooked. Perishable. They loose grade by the month than the year, maggots, steak and wood have.  Then they both just simply rot, everything returns to the earth, even old cars.  Saw them as quick as you can, 1,000 feet a day.  I find the heart wood of pine last longer than spruce.  It may be a location/species thing.

Tim

This is a test, please stand by...

mike_van

Quote from: customdave on December 26, 2008, 11:17:12 PM
[ ???Thankes  Swampdonkey ; I never thought about those pesky pine beetles,but do I only have to about the pine ,will they not bother the spruce logs . Man I hope not , I have 2 loads ordered @32-33 tons each. Mixed Pine& Spruce                                    Dave ???
Dave, it's a smaller grub in spruce, but they got mine.  I'm hoping as I get down into the 40 log pile it's not as bad. They only [start] on certain spots on the log. The face the sun beats on is too hot I guess, you won't see the holes there. Bottom of the log either - Once they're inside though, they just go to town.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

bandmiller2

Welcome Dave,alot depends on what you will do with the wood,rough use a few worm holes amount to a tinkle hole in the snow.Logs you know ,or suspect, you won't get to ,let them sit a short time until the bark loosens then strip it,that will buy you some time.Off the ground and dry.I have some eastern white that I know is wormy I'll cut it to board in a shed roof,as long as its solid.Best is to harvest and mill in cold weather stick and dry before summer heat and blue stain.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

customdave

Thanks Guys ! I was hoping to make good lumber, want to build mill shed, another shop to many big tools in shop now, son wants to add on to his house, I need to build big cold storage building also, Far as I know these logs were cut middle last winter & sat decked all summer be shame to turn into firewood                 Dave :'(

SwampDonkey

2 x 6's, 8's, 10's, 12's if nothing else for utility grade lumber. If they get stain, won't hurt the strength. Worm holes in studding won't hurt much as bandmiller says. Won't make for pretty siding however.  ;D

customdave

Just thinking outloud, has anybody tried spraying log piles with anything to ward off bugs eg. dishsoap & water in weed sprayer, or is this just wishfull thinking on a GREENHORNS part !                    Thanks Dave

SwampDonkey

Borax, lots of discussion on the forum with this. Use the search function up top. ;)

taw6243

You could tight tarp the whole pile  if you have big enough tarps. It is something i did one time and it worked very well on norway spruce.

Tim
4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

customdave

8) Thanks Tim, Iwill Saw Trees into log mill lengths & stack in sized piles off ground as soon as they arrive. then Iwill see what I need for tarps & what I don't I will buy right away to keep till they hit the mill ! sounds like a plan !               Thanks Again Dave

robnrob2

Down here in Beautiful Warm North Florida, the bugs will head for a pine when the hear the word, T I M B O R E, and when the tree / log quits bouncing there in there,, just as soon as I can I  turn my pines into Cants, just to get the bark off,  edge up the flitch, and I found its much easier to stack cants than it is logs,, later on  for what ever need I have, I will cut them up, if my inventory of building material gets low,,

Tom

I don't know where you are located, but if you tarp a pile of logs or lumber here in the South, you are creating a green house and inviting blue mold, rot, and insects too.

Down here, the only and preferred way is to submerge pine logs in a pond, or sprinkle them constantly wet all over.

Most pine logs can lay on a ramp for month, sometimes a little longer, with little degrade.  They will blue stain and there will be some borer damage, but the insect damage can be taken off in the slab and the blue stain only hurts the looks.

SwampDonkey

There is a reason why commercial saw mills want fresh logs. I wouldn't wrap a pile of wood unless it's been sawed and kilned and way bills made out for it's shipment and it wants to be breathable material. :D

customdave

??? Thanks robnrob2, Tom, Sampdonkey for your Replys ! Do you guys think I'm being to worried about bugs, I just want to look after logs especially having to pay for them with hard earned cash. Tom, I'm located in central Alberta In start of winter where it will below freezing for 3 months yet. The plan is to get these 2 loads mostly sawed into lumber before spring & Dry piled of course ?, but you know how plans can changed, but if things go according to plan maybe I shouldn't have to worry as much with this cold temps                                   Dave

Tom

Paying for the logs with the green from your pocket makes a difference in how you look at logs, doesn't it?

I would think that the cold weather up there would be a blessing as far as mold, stain and insects go, if you can handle sawing frozen logs.   There are some guys here on the forum that know about that and can help.

Thank You Sponsors!